Placement of 30 cu ft 2nd pony for videographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also do similar dives with a small pony and a single tank, solo in 180-190 once every two or three weeks. I carry a small pony on the back and usually sling a deco bottle. If you are only trying to increase the volume of your bottom gas, (rather than carry a deco mix) why not just get a bigger pony and leave it tank mounted? They make 40 cu-ft tanks don't they?

Also I have a buddy who back mounts two ponies, one for air and another for 80% deco. He has them mounted on each side of the tank, and the tanks are turned on.
He doesn't seem to have any problem with the 2 ponies mounted to the tank.

This configuration makes me nervous though, I want my oxygen to be off on the bottom and i like the re-assurance of watching myself turn the deco sling bottle on.

Scuba_Steve:
Suggestions?? here we go.

Get a grip on yourself.

OK now I'll try and be a little more kind here.....

The only way to do stuff like this without becoming the CF you've already got going is to be on a set of doubles first and foremost.

I'll leave the volumes of other info you require to your tech instructor you should be getting this info from. What a nightmare.

Is this what passes for dive knowledge these days?

Not to mention that not being trained for these deep dives yet running around here saying you're doing them to 200ft with a pony is more than likely against some sort of TOS agreement,....or at least it should be. What you're already doing is a pile of nonsense much less what you want to do going forward.

And people wonder why I cut no slack to diver's who tell me their 30yrs of divng and 5000 dives tell me all I need to know.......

good luck.

Just curious, what is your diving experience?

Dont you just hate it when you ask a simple question and people go off on a tangent giving you advice on something you never asked about?
Im sure with your experiance you know how dangerous it and you accept it

I would think the best idea is doubles or single with 2 ponys (1 deco).
And of course traing/practice.

Packhorse:
Dont you just hate it when you ask a simple question and people go off on a tangent giving you advice on something you never asked about?

Packhorse:
I would think the best idea is doubles or single with 2 ponys (1 deco).
And of course traing/practice.
LOL

Dr. Bill,

Like you I've been diving in the same range, on air, for many, many years. Do I think that here are better ways now? Sure. But you and I both know what we can and can't do at 190 on air, that comes with the bottom time. I must say that frankly I'm sometimes a bit amused as the fuss and consternation that our willingness to go to 200 on air seems to cause some of our collegues on the scubaboard. Just because one does that, does not mean that we'll run off with Bret or Hal in search of the wa-was. I mean, J.C., many of us've been freediving deeper than some of these folks see as the point at which we should all grow vines and turn into pumpkins. There does seem to be a general attitude amongst many of the newer divers that kind of reminds of the cops at the "scene of the crime" that Arlo Guthrie describes in Alice's Restaurant, no?

Anyway ... your hands are full of cameras and lights, you can't have stuff bumping about or showing ... that means side mounted on the tank, you don't get much choice. I'd rather go for doubles, but you're carrying a lot of air in that 120, doubles'll give you a bit more gas, but you allready own 180 cubic feet of cylinders. I'm guessing that what you really want is some emergency backup and maybe a little accelerated deco ... Yes?

I think in your situation I'd hang a thirty on one side with 32 and set my 19 up for oxygen or 50/50 (depends on your outlook) on the other. And I've give some thought to trading in the 19 for another 30.

Thalassamania:
Do I think that here are better ways now? Sure.

Thalassamania:
I must say that frankly I'm sometimes a bit amused as the fuss and consternation that our willingness to go to 200 on air seems to cause some of our collegues on the scubaboard.

Read your quote above.

Actually, I am amused that these "been there, done that" old timers, know better but still do it and justify it because "I've been doing it for years...you whipper snapper"

You guys make me laugh.

We're so glad that you're easy to amuse.

Thalassamania:
We're so glad that you're easy to amuse.
Its easy when you are given good material.

Jeff, in all seriousness, what you're missing is that it is a continuum, not an absolute. Like most things in life there's a trade off and a cost benefit analysis to be done. Adding Helium to the mix costs a certain amount of money, does that task at had require the level of clarity that I can purchase? Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. But the idea that, "We're gonna die" if we dive air to 200 is just so much BS.

Independent double 100s so you can remove one after your deeper dive, then use the other for your next dive with your regular pony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom