Placement of 30 cu ft 2nd pony for videographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thalassamania:
Like most things in life there's a trade off and a cost benefit analysis to be done. Adding Helium to the mix costs a certain amount of money, does that task at had require the level of clarity that I can purchase? Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. But the idea that, "We're gonna die" if we dive air to 200 is just so much BS.
I didn't miss a thing. I agree with what you said in the above quoted part.

But here's the rub. If your going to do it (dive deep air), do it, but call a spade a spade. You do it because you are cheap. You said it yourself, in the above quote. To get clarity, just costs you money.

JeffG- I am requesting that you either respond to the question I posed in starting this thread or stay off it. You have added nothing material to the topic I started. Please respect this and drop your comments. I've seen you do this before and I find you tiresome.

drbill:
The ponies can't be slung without interfering with my film work... this was my reason for posting this.

I seem to recall having seen videography and photography done several thousand feet back in a cave whilst carrying 2-3 Gavin scooters, and multiple stage bottles, of which at least two (usually Al80s) are both slung under the left arm.

So, it's not that it can't be done. Maybe if you had a little helium, you wouldn't be so task loaded that you couldn't manage two slung tanks that don't get in the way at all. Really...two 40s are nothing.

From your posts, I have come to the conclusion that you have disregarded all of modern diving science and technology because you are so experienced that you are incapable of having an equipment failure or unexpected event occur at depth and you are too cheap to buy the right equipment and gas for the dives.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors.

Soggy... We're talking about filming on very soft bottoms where a slight shift in a pony could stir up enough sediment to quickly ruin a shot.

As for disregarding modern diving science, etc., all I can tell you is that personal physiology has a lot to do with what an individual can and can't do. I have friends who are seriously narced within recreational depths and others who routinely do dives to 150+ ft with no problem. My perception is very clear (but of course not perfect) at the depths I dive.

Wouldn't the possibility of the diver on the bottom pose a greater risk of stirring it up than a properly mounted stage?

drbill:
Soggy... We're talking about filming on very soft bottoms where a slight shift in a pony could stir up enough sediment to quickly ruin a shot.

drbill:

And that is different from cave diving how?

My perception is very clear (but of course not perfect) at the depths I dive.

This is what I am referring to as a complete disregard for modern science. Narcosis at 150-200 ft is having a huge effect on you. It's just a fact. Your perception is substantially altered. The fact that you believe yourself to be mostly unimpaired makes what you are doing even less safe. As long as everything goes according to plan, you're fine, just like a drunk driving home from the bar. But when a deer jumps into your path, you're fooked because your reaction time and ability to solve problems is substantially impaired. You are also combining that with inadequate equipment and gas reserves, poor gas choices, and as far as I can tell, insufficient training to do the dives you are doing. Changing any one or (preferably) all of those things would make it a safer dive.

Have fun. I really hope I don't see you in the Diving Accidents forum. What you are describing is unsafe, unsound, and frankly not very intelligent.

Soggy:
This is what I am referring to as a complete disregard for modern science. Narcosis at 150-200 ft is having a huge effect on you. It's just a fact. Your perception is substantially altered. The fact that you believe yourself to be mostly unimpaired makes what you are doing even less safe. As long as everything goes according to plan, you're fine, just like a drunk driving home from the bar. But when a deer jumps into your path, you're fooked because your reaction time and ability to solve problems is substantially impaired. You are also combining that with inadequate equipment and gas reserves, poor gas choices, and as far as I can tell, insufficient training to do the dives you are doing. Changing any one or (preferably) all of those things would make it a safer dive.

Have fun. I really hope I don't see you in the Diving Accidents forum. What you are describing is unsafe, unsound, and frankly not very intelligent.

OK, I knew you wouldn't really wait an entire year to tell him :wink:

Good post, right to the heart of the matter here.

drbill:
Please respect this and drop your comments. I've seen you do this before and I find you tiresome.
I really don't care what you think Bill.

drbill:

A properly slung bottle is not going to "slightly shift" and wipe out the viz.

Wiping out the viz and ruining a shot is a skill related problem, not equipment related.

You sound like getting the "shot" is more important than your own safety.

You also sound like most of the beer drinking rednecks that live out my way that claim a 12 pack of beer has no effect on them (until they get pulled for their 4th dui)....

He never asked for the best or safest way to configure his gear!

He asked a specific question about rigging pony bottle(s). Now the Dr. is a dumbass, redneck drunk, picking off deer on his way home from the bar. Oh yeah he also is a cheap bass-turd who clearly has insufficient skills because he has not taken enough tech dive courses. I'm amazed they even serve him at the bar (I mean fill his tanks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom