Pirate treasures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best advice I can give on that subject is to check carefully the amenities in the local prison bordering your dive site-----probably not a nice place to visit, must less have an extended stay!

After a cenote dive south of Cancun I was listening to locals telling stories during SI and heard of a cave diver who found a large "rock" that he tried to take home. Customs Agents and local law enforcement informed him his "rock" was a Mayan carved jade statue. According to the locals he received an extended stay including room and board from the Mexican Govt as an inmate! Seems like they considered it smuggling... go figure! Party Poopers!!

There is a Ldy in charge in Mexico. Pillar Luna, and she don't like you.

:no::lotsalove:
Ok, thank you all for all the bountiful information you have provided me with. Well the truth is we did find something, and we did reported to SEMARNAT, now since I own a dive shop in Mahahual, I want to have it there! not in Akumal, so that people can see it, but I'm afraid that someone will steal it. I am not allowed to say what it was we found, but I couldn't stash it in my suitcase nor makeup bag.. LOL!!! there's lots of stuff out there, and we are going looking, now i know the rules, YES! we have to reported, or smuggled it out!!! ok do as I say, not as I wanted to.. .kidding..

thank you for all the wonderful information you all gave me

Mahja...

Some basics:

A state's Territorial Sea extends up to 12 nautical miles (22 km) from its baseline. If this would overlap with another state's territorial sea, the border is taken as the median point between the states' baselines, unless the states in question agree otherwise. A state can also choose to claim a smaller territorial sea.

State in this instance also refers to country. Mexico is a party to the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) and thus claims 12NM off it's shoreline. This is sovereign territory of the country of Mexico. They own anything found in it.

Then there's the Contiguous Zone:

The contiguous zone is a band of water extending from the outer edge of the territorial sea to up to 24 nautical miles (44 km) from the baseline, within which a state can exert limited control for the purpose of preventing or punishing "infringement of its customs, fiscal, immigration or sanitary laws and regulations within its territory or territorial sea".

Chinchorro Banks is 19NM from Mahuhaul so likely falls within this range. Unless there's a closer point of Mexican land within 12NM in which case it's Mexican sovereign territory.

But this last zone likely limits your options:

An exclusive Economic Zone extends for 200 nautical miles (370 km) beyond the baselines of the territorial sea, thus it includes the territorial sea and its contiguous zone.[3] A coastal nation has control of all economic resources within its exclusive economic zone, including fishing, mining, oil exploration, and any pollution of those resources.

If you found anything, the govt. of Mexico might categorize it as an "economic resource" But I'm no expert. If you do find anything, I would consult with a maritime lawyer in the country whose waters it was found - as I'm sure that there's a whole lot of other rules regarding shipwrecks, declarations of loss, salvage right and rights of ownership that I'm totally oblivious to.

pretty much what SteveAD said...:depressed:

Why would you possibly think to advise anyone? Does the gov't advise you when they find money?
At least for now, this is still a free country. Take it home and find a private buyer. If you can't keep your mouth shut then leave it there.

Everything here is good advice. I've done a lot, and would not put it in writing. If we ever meet I will tell you face to face. Right now the best two words I cay are "Be Smart" Fizz

I'd hire a woman to smuggle it in a body cavity. Just make sure she has a hip replacement so she has an disability card when she lights up security scan at the airport.

Back
Top Bottom