Review A Treasured Life--Randy Lathrop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

covediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I seem to be reading a lot of treasure hunting/shipwreck diving books this winter. Doing so is a great activity for passing long nights of an Alaska winter. I recently continued my discovery of books related to Florida treasure seekers with Randy Lathrop's A Treasured Life: Surrenduring to the Siren's Song. Most of the book is centered on the author's activities as a treasure salvor around the Indian River/Space coast of Florida and as a cave diver. The salvor includes recollections of working various wrecks of the 1715 treasure fleet, Among his other other exploits richly described in the autobiograph are the discovery of a red cedar canoe following Hurricane Irma in 2017 and diving in the 1980s in cenotes and caves around Akumal on the Yucatan Peninsula.

An unexpected story, as it takes place outside the main area covered by the book, related to the dives he did on the Regina a ship lost on Lake Huron is the Great Storm of 1913. I found that srory intriguing since my great-granfather was an engineer on Great Lakes steamers in that era and one ship on which he served sank. I dived on Michigan shipwrecks while researching magazine articles 2008 and appreciate the details and insights he provides of his own experience. He also alludes to the increasingly rigorous and restrictive legal framework governing sunken vessels. I find myself sympathetic to his point of view despite having been involved with the Federal government's historic shipwreck preservation efforts.

The book is generously illustrated with photos that the author took over his long career. Maps give the reader who may be unfamiliar with the general and specific location of places covered in the text. For me, not including a map to orient the reader is a shortcoming of many books on aquatic exploration.

I recently provided a description of John Fine's recent book Hunt for Gold. Of the two books, I found Lathop's A Treasure Life easier to read and more enjoyable, with the prose much like a dive buddy telling stories around a fire.

related to the dives he did on the Regina a ship lost on Lake Huron is the Great Storm of 1913.
I'm curious as to what his involvement is on the Regina. I know the finder quite well and the legal nonsense he had to go through along side divers looting the site while he was trying to salvage her.

Do you know what steamer your grandfather was on?

I'm curious as to what his involvement is on the Regina. I know the finder quite well and the legal nonsense he had to go through along side divers looting the site while he was trying to salvage her.

John Duncan

Lathrop worked on the salvage of the cargo of Regina with Wayne Brusate in 1987 and 1988.

John Duncan
541a003e2931755000da242aaa1362f31c373cf0.jpg

This one? Seems that she was renamed and abandoned in Canada in 1923. I was in a discussion with Wayne about the potential salvage of the EB Hale off Harrisville. We estimated we could make about $500K off the high end steel salvage, but would end up spending $1M doing it. I'll ask Wayne about Lathrop.

View attachment 771692
This one? Seems that she was renamed and abandoned in Canada in 1923. I was in a discussion with Wayne about the potential salvage of the EB Hale off Harrisville. We estimated we could make about $500K off the high end steel salvage, but would end up spending $1M doing it. I'll ask Wayne about Lathrop.
Thank you. That is the one. She sank and was raised a couple of times. I have pictures of it sinking that my grandmother gave to me years ago. In 2006 I spent a few days at the maritime library at the downtown Milwaukee public library running down the vessel and records of my greatgrandfather. I came in to the librarty after getting some photocopys made. The librarian said "you need to go buy lottery tickets." I had a confused look on my face and she said "its your lucky day, I found a copy of your great grandfather steamship engieer's license. I ended up sending a packet of his things to his last surviving daughter (the youngest in the family). She wrote back and said she had never seen any of that material. I am beginning to write all this up as I write my diving memoirs so my family doesn't forget. So much of what I found in the library is on line now. he was engineer on a couple of vessels. He was self-taugh. I have only dived a few wrecks in the great lakes. I did an article for scuba diving about diving UP wrecks. munising, straits, copper harbor, etc. Lots of history on the UP. In 2001, I interviewed to be the Thunder Bay Marine Sanctuary manager. Didn't get the job. That is a whole other story.

Attachments

• John Duncan sinking.jpg
    John Duncan sinking.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 43
View attachment 771692
It is ironic that you mention Harrisville. That is one of the locations John Duncan sank in August 1903. I am not sure it that is the sinking in the picture. It may well be. My grandfather may have been aboard, but he is not listed as the chief or second engineer at the time of the sinking. He also served on the Illinois and possibly the Christopher Columbus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom