Phuket Scuba Boat Saves Speedboat Passengers After Their Boat Sinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yah.... that's a lot of people on a speedboat ... from the article:

Seven children aged from two years and 18 adults were on board when the boat started to sink about 9.30am Thursday.

Wow. What a scary experience! Especially since there were young children on board.
I just returned from Phuket and there are a large number of these speedboats zipping around islands. When we were diving a Racha Yai, there were about 8 diving boats in a cove and tons of divers in water, spread all around, waiting to be picked up by their dive boat. We were in water for about 15 mins. before our boat came around to pick us up. During that time, at least 3-4 of these speed boats went zipping by 15-20 feet away from us!. They were the most scary 15 mins. I had on surface after a dive!. They are just one more accident waiting to happen.

I do wish Thai authorities do safety checks on these boats. Not having flares or radio is in-excusible.
I am glad no one lost their life or got seriously injured.

During that time, at least 3-4 of these speed boats went zipping by 15-20 feet away from us!. They were the most scary 15 mins. I had on surface after a dive!. They are just one more accident waiting to happen.

Not waiting, has already happened with jet ski's / speedboats in the Pattaya area numerous times to my knowledge. Such incidents may get a brief mention in the local media then are simply swept under the carpet.

I notice that the speedboats (and maybe other boats) have written on the side the maximum number of passengers and crew.

Anyone know how this number is established?

I notice that the speedboats (and maybe other boats) have written on the side the maximum number of passengers and crew.

Anyone know how this number is established?

Tossing a coin? :blinking:

Tossing a coin? :blinking:

Yes I think that is as good as it gets.
I am unaware of any specific safety requirements or regulation governing dive boats or general pleasure craft other than the fact that captains should be licenced.

Well, to operate in the Similans, boats theoretically need a Similan License. I do know of one boat that wasn't even registered in Thailand and still operated without any problems though :(

There are speedboat operators who take safety seriously. They have first-aid trained staff on board, they have radio, plenty of life jackets, don't take too many passengers etc. The problem is that they are more expensive than the others. When I worked in Khao Lak I only co-operated with the "safe" ones (I have strong principles when it comes to safety - both boats and diving). The vast majority of tourists would ask about the price first and then leave the shop when they heard ours. In the end, my response to their price inquiries was "we're probably the most expensive in town". Most people left, some people were intrigued and asked questions - and then I always got the booking, because I could explain about safety and service level. BUT most tourists were only concerned about the price :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom