Phuket Scuba Boat Saves Speedboat Passengers After Their Boat Sinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, to operate in the Similans, boats theoretically need a Similan License. I do know of one boat that wasn't even registered in Thailand and still operated without any problems though :(

There are speedboat operators who take safety seriously. They have first-aid trained staff on board, they have radio, plenty of life jackets, don't take too many passengers etc. The problem is that they are more expensive than the others. When I worked in Khao Lak I only co-operated with the "safe" ones (I have strong principles when it comes to safety - both boats and diving). The vast majority of tourists would ask about the price first and then leave the shop when they heard ours. In the end, my response to their price inquiries was "we're probably the most expensive in town". Most people left, some people were intrigued and asked questions - and then I always got the booking, because I could explain about safety and service level. BUT most tourists were only concerned about the price :(

Hi Aquamarin,

Unfortunately for a lot of tourists price is indeed the most important factor. I think that a lot of tourists just automatically expect the same safety standards as 'back home', not realizing that things are slightly different in Thailand and many neighboring countries when it comes down to 'Western standard safety issues'.
It's not until an accident/incident occurs that they realize that things are different.

Good discussion....

Yah, a lot of people do not realize that the reason prices (food, rooms, transportation, etc) can be "so cheap" in Thailand, compared to back home in their "highly regulated societies" is that all these regulations add to the cost of delivery.

After all; you don't find make shift food stalls where unregulated vendors wash their dishes next to the street, using make shift tables and chairs, in most US or European cities; and food is considerably more expensive, for the most part in the "regulated, inspected" world.

Here in Thailand, many of us (I would almost guess most) love the road and canal (klong) side chicken and rice, noodles, great Issan, Chinese and Thai food on nearly every corner and street up and down the Kingdom. It would not be Thailand without such amazing food.

The same holds true for transportation and other services; most organizations are "seat of the pants" unregulated (or "not really" regulated) businesses who operate in the warm, friendly Thai way of trying to be helpful; and of course, this can lead to disaster at times; because in the "regulated world" people generally don't have to think too much for themselves, the government regulators "think" for them, LOL.

In Thailand, people have to think for themselves, to have an optimal experience, because Thailand is, for the most part in the "unregulated, uninspected" world; and that is the reason many people are drawn to Thailand.

Here, you must be careful and think because the system is different here; and most people on holidays who are only concerned about price do not have the experience to know what they are getting into.

It's great to have responsible and experienced agents and instructors, like we see on SB, to guide those with less experience.

Happy Diving!

Last edited:
Good discussion....

Yah, a lot of people do not realize that the reason prices (food, rooms, transportation, etc) can be "so cheap" in Thailand, compared to back home in their "highly regulated societies" is that all these regulations add to the cost of delivery.

After all; you don't find make shift food stalls where unregulated vendors wash their dishes next to the street, using make shift tables and chairs, in most US or European cities; and food is considerably more expensive, for the most part in the "regulated, inspected" world.

Here in Thailand, many of us (I would almost guess most) love the road and canal (klong) side chicken and rice, noodles, great Issan, Chinese and Thai food on nearly every corner and street up and down the Kingdom. It would not be Thailand without such amazing food.

The same holds true for transportation and other services; most organizations are "seat of the pants" unregulated (or "not really" regulated) businesses who operate in the warm, friendly Thai way of trying to be helpful; and of course, this can lead to disaster at times; because in the "regulated world" people generally don't have to think too much for themselves, the government regulators "think" for them, LOL.

In Thailand, people have to think for themselves, to have an optimal experience, because Thailand is, for the most part in the "unregulated, uninspected" world; and that is the reason many people are drawn to Thailand.

Here, you must be careful and think because the system is different here; and most people on holidays who are only concerned about price do not have the experience to know what they are getting into.

It's great to have responsible and experienced agents and instructors, like we see on SB, to guide those with less experience.

Happy Diving!

I quite agree with everything being said here. Whilst I note the comments made in this thread regarding safety standards adopted and their relationship with operating costs, there is one thing that has mystified me for a number of years and that is why when my native UK has some of the most stringent safety standards in the world that are rigourously enforced, the diving there is still significantly cheaper than here in Thailand?

I quite agree with everything being said here. Whilst I note the comments made in this thread regarding safety standards adopted and their relationship with operating costs, there is one thing that has mystified me for a number of years and that is why when my native UK has some of the most stringent safety standards in the world that are rigourously enforced, the diving there is still significantly cheaper than here in Thailand?

Good question. I lived and dived on Saipan for 25 years. It's a US territory and all US maritime, licensing and safety laws apply. (Yes, there is a US Coast Guard officer who does boat safety inspections.) Wages are much higher than Thailand and US minimum wage laws apply in some situations. The costs for fuel and electricity are huge. Tanks to be inspected have to be shipped to Guam. I just checked a couple of Saipan dive shops and it looks like the current rate for two boat dives is about US$140-150. Last month I paid 4200baht (US$140) for two boat dives from Koh Lanta to Koh Rok.

So, while Saipan is not cheaper than Thailand, it is on par, in spite of much higher costs, having to pay higher wages and adhere to more stringent safety regulation enforcement.

I guess I now understand why all the dive guides in Thailand are so wealthy. :rofl3:

I own 2 speedboats in Thailand for my diving business, and as a foreigner, I have to go through a lot more 'checks' than the local boat operators (most are snorkeling boats) - that means loads of paperwork, but no actual boat checks by the authorities. In the local Marine Office, when I go to get my annual boat inspection certificates, the officer never actually does the inspection - he asks for 2 photos of the boat (so he can remember which one it is) and then the 2000 Baht ''inspection fee'' before handing over the inspection certificate for another year - without ever leaving his desk. Passenger limits on a boat are determined by the marine office in a similar way - you register a boat, tell them how many passengers you want on the license and then you pay a ''license fee'' according to how many people.

I also have VHF radios on my boats (both replaced brand new a few months ago) and for my Marine Park License, all the National Park want to see is a copy of the Radio Licenses and a photo of the radio installed on the boats. There are no checks that it actually exists (1 radio can be swapped around many boats for each photo) or that a radio actually works. I've never been asked about my bilge pumps, fire extinguishers, life jackets, or for a professional boat survey (except by the insurance company).

Basically it's all down to the operators - the authorities are either lazy, corrupt or working with a totally inadequate system to regulate diving and snorkeling boats.

Just as other posters have mentioned, you want to pay cheap - you get rubbish.

So, as a dive operator in Thailand, I recommend that anyone trying to decide which company to book with - check for online reviews and comments by previous divers, not only here on Scubaboard, but other websites - it should be fairly easy to figure out who the good ones are, and which ones are ''bad''. Send an email to the company - ask some direct questions and see what they answer...

Just as other posters have mentioned, you want to pay cheap - you get rubbish.

Sorry but that statement certainly does not always run true.

One example. Mentioning no names as things are all well documented on these forums in the past for those who wish to find them, whilst diving one time in the not too distant past with probably the most expensive shop in Pattaya, a fellow customer asked a member of staff at the end of the boat briefing, 'where are the life jackets?'

The reply came, 'we dont have any on board'.

This is after the operator cited the best service and the best boat in town as the reason for being the most expensive.

So I am afraid it is still pot luck regardless of how much you pay. Particularly as some of the best service I have recieved in the Pattaya area on dive boats is from Thai owned and run businesses and their prices are around half of what you pay at the average farrang rip off within Pattaya city.

Particularly as some of the best service I have recieved in the Pattaya area on dive boats is from Thai owned and run businesses and their prices are around half of what you pay at the average farrang rip off within Pattaya city.

Care to make any recommendations? I was thinking of coming down to dive next week.

Ray divers at Samae San. The only difficulty is that you will need to get to their dive centre on your own as I dont think they offer a hotel collection service.

With regard to Pattaya shops, Real divers and Adventure divers in my mind are by far the best on offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom