Petrel giving battery change notification without battery change while on deco.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think a firmware upgrade will make any difference. I believe it's a hardware issue.

My Petrel displayed identical behavior repeatedly, and different AA batteries didn't fix it. I finally switched to a SAFTT battery and the problem disappeared. The Petrel battery compartment spring appears to be a little weak, and from time to time when it compresses a AA battery will lose connection, resetting the computer. The SAFT hasn't displayed this behavior yet, and it's been 15 hours of dive time since I changed it.

-Adrian

Interesting. I wonder if it IS a battery manufacturer issue. I know on my C8 "C" cell flashlight I can only use Duracell batteries. Any other brand and the light will not work. In investigating the issue, the end caps of the different brand batteries are different than the Duracell batteries. That difference prevents contact from being made and as such the light will not work.

So maybe the end caps on some other brand batteries are different than the Saft batteries? And causing a connection issue? B.

The SAFT is just SLIGHTLY larger than the AA battery in both length and diameter. It's actually a little more difficult to slide into the Petrel battery compartment. That seems to make the difference.

-Adrian

I've had the same issue early on. My buddy did too. Switched to SAFT batteries and no problems at all.

If you use regular AA batteries, I recommend changing them no later than the half way point on the battery gauge. My petrel got wonky if I let a regular AA battery go any lower than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think a firmware upgrade will make any difference. I believe it's a hardware issue.

Yup, agreed the false battery change is probably a hardware issue. The loss of dive history on a battery loss or reset was noted by Shearwater as something they plan to address in firmware. Good point regarding the size of the battery. Rather than send my Shearwater back, I am going to try using the Saft.

Really wish Shearwater would add "Runtime since battery change: HH" to the startup screen. You can get to this info but it is buried in the menu system. That way, I know the approximate battery change time based on the battery type and the type of diving I do.

New firmware is released and it looks like the dive loss on dead battery is corrected: "FIX: If the dive is interrupted (for example, battery dies), now ensures that the dive log is properly closed so that dive appear in the dive log list and it can be downloaded."

Back
Top Bottom