Petrel giving battery change notification without battery change while on deco.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did it clear tissues or maintain them as it should have for a battery change? As others have said, it sounds to me like there must have been a momentary power interrupt, probably because of a battery contact pressure issue. I've seen it happen on pre-battery compartment fix Predators, but never on my Petrel.

It maintained the tissues and deco schedule as well as a flashing red warning around the deco stop depth and time, everything else such as dive time and depth cleared.

I'd call SW and get the unit back to them ASAP. That kind of thing simply cannot be allowed to happen.

I sent a msg on FB to Shearwater about a similar battery issue but still waiting for an answer :-(

Envoyé depuis mon SM-T310 avec Tapatalk 4

The best way to discuss an issue with your computer and get prompt resolution is to contact us directly either at our info address (infoatshearwaterresearchdotcom) or through "Contact Us" on our website. While we do monitor public forums and Facebook, it is less regularly and less likely that you will reach the person that can help you. We are all committed, however, to responding to customers within a few hours via email. It is our primary mode of communication.

Regards
Lynn Partridge

Good, I will do. The reason I like forum it's because other peoples can have the same issue so with an answer from the manufacturer at large, it's a good thing for everybody.

I had a similar issue on a 105 min dive yesterday in 53F water. After a short surface interval to collect our SMB, we took a compass heading and descended again. At about 5', the Petrel showed a battery change event and indicated tissue loading was cleared. This was on a lithium battery with about 50 hours of operation. The battery indicator was normal at the start of the dive.

The most disturbing thing is the Petrel lost the long dive AND the short dive after the battery change indication came on. The dive log history shows no dive information for the day. This is the second time I've lost a logged dive on a Petrel due to a battery glitch. The first time it was on an Alkaline battery, this failure was on a Photo Lithium battery.

I'm going to be sending this unit back to Shearwater but I hope they address the "lost dive" issue with a firmware update soon.

I don't think a firmware upgrade will make any difference. I believe it's a hardware issue.

My Petrel displayed identical behavior repeatedly, and different AA batteries didn't fix it. I finally switched to a SAFTT battery and the problem disappeared. The Petrel battery compartment spring appears to be a little weak, and from time to time when it compresses a AA battery will lose connection, resetting the computer. The SAFT hasn't displayed this behavior yet, and it's been 15 hours of dive time since I changed it.

-Adrian

I had the same problem with my Petrel. Sent them an e-mail...they asked me to return the computer for testing and I had it back working great in around a week. I am not sure what the issue was but they dealt with it quickly and professionally. Don't waste your time fishing for answers in forums, contact Shearwater directly and give them a chance to sort it out for you.

Bob (Toronto)

My Petrel just exhibited this behavior yesterday during a surface interval. Shearwater asked me to send it back, but from Guam the turnaround will take several weeks. I'm heading to Palau in three days so I think I'll check out the battery spring theory to tide me over. I always have a backup computer with me but can't imagine diving without my Petrel.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom