Petrel giving battery change notification without battery change while on deco.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike2Fst

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
While on a 20 ft deco stop following a 300 ft 20 minute dive, Petrel battery change notification came on (obviously without battery change). Following the dive, I turned the Petrel off and placed it on a bench, the Petrel turned on spontaneously and then again gave battery change notification. The battery life meter was indicating half. This is a back up to a Predator, but concerning none the less. Any suggestions or advice. Thanks.

Mike

Leaking battery or corrosion on the contacts caused by housing leak?

No, battery is in great shape as well as the battery contacts, battery compartment dry so no leakage from the housing.

change the battery. use a lithium battery for longer life.

change the battery. use a lithium battery for longer life.

Battery life was not the issue, failure/battery changed notification came on with half the battery life remaining. This is a notification that comes on after the battery has been replaced, not one indicating that the battery is low and needs to be changed. Has anyone else had this happen?

I have seen the a low battery on Predator during a dive, when I started the dive at a good battery, but if the red battery indicator comes during the surface interval I will change the battery. If I get a low battery indication, after I change a battery, I will check it with a voltmeter.

If it keeps coming on, put a voltmeter to the battery and check the actual voltage, if your petrel reads different you should contact Shearwater.

I have seen the a low battery on Predator during a dive, when I started the dive at a good battery, but if the red battery indicator comes during the surface interval I will change the battery. If I get a low battery indication, after I change a battery, I will check it with a voltmeter.

If it keeps coming on, put a voltmeter to the battery and check the actual voltage, if your petrel reads different you should contact Shearwater.

I practice as you do, in this case, the Battery Changed notification came on without an actual battery change while underwater on a deco stop. On the plus side, although the bottom time, max depth, etc were zeroed out, the deco schedule remained. Any Shearwater reps with any input?

I am wondering if there are still connectivity problems with Shearwater computers. The earlier Predators had issues with batteries reading prematurely low & I have seen hints of it on my Petrels (flashing low battery only 2- 3 weeks after a battery change).... Could a connectivity problem still be the cause???

Could be the battery compartment has a weak spring or minor corrosion. Had this happen on a night vision device that would reboot after a jolt. A bump would cause the inertia of the battery to move away from one of the contacts, losing power and the battery would move back into position restoring power. I solved the problem by adding a couple of copper disks on top of the spring until I got into the battery compartment. There I found where the spring mates to the negative terminal, there was some minor corrosion between the plate and spring where they slip together. I guess the extra pressure forced the joint and completed the circuit.

I would indeed contact the MFG rep to get this fixed. IT is unlikely you will get into the compartment without damaging something.

Did it clear tissues or maintain them as it should have for a battery change? As others have said, it sounds to me like there must have been a momentary power interrupt, probably because of a battery contact pressure issue. I've seen it happen on pre-battery compartment fix Predators, but never on my Petrel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom