Best practices for dive computer batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got the following advice from Dive-Tronix that maintains all my Shearwater computers. I assume this advice also applies to other brands:

User-changeable batteries:
  1. Do not leave an alkaline or lithium battery installed in your dive computer for more than 4 weeks without use. Alkaline and lithium batteries can leak if they go dead. Some brands will leak when they get low. Even when the computer is turned off, it is in standby mode periodically checking to see if you have entered the water. A clock is also running. These features can, and will, eventually drain a battery while the computer is storage, or not being used for a long period of time.
  2. Do not store your computer with a low battery reading.
  3. DIVE-Tronix and Shearwater recommend using Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries.
  4. Make sure to program your computer for the correct battery (pop-up after changing battery).

Rechargeable batteries (integrated in computer):
  1. Do not allow the rechargeable battery to completely discharge. While in storage, charge the battery when it reaches 25% - 30%. Charge more often if you are diving.
  2. Only use the factory charger. Most aftermarket chargers are too powerful for the small batteries used in Shearwater models that have rechargeable batteries. They can severely damage the battery.
  3. Limit the number of recharges as rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charges. Frequent battery charges can diminish the life of the battery.
  4. Do not leave your computer on the charging cradle, it will not keep it charged. This is a safety feature.

I hope this helps others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom