Perdix AI and scooter interference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beau640

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone dove a perdix AI with a scooter? I dove them together for the first time today and I was getting disconnects of the AI frequently while riding the scooter. I just got the AI and so I haven't tested it that much to see if this was just coincidence but this is the only time I've had this issue and this was the only time I dive a scooter with it. Should it be expected that a scooter would interfere?

which scooter? there is electrical interference from the motors and since the AI works based on sound, it is possible that the motor created the right "sound" that caused the computers to kick out. If it is one of the new Suex models with drive or whatever they call it, they may be using the same protocols there and that could kick it out. I am not sure of the specifics, but it's a best guess

which scooter? there is electrical interference from the motors and since the AI works based on sound, it is possible that the motor created the right "sound" that caused the computers to kick out. If it is one of the new Suex models with drive or whatever they call it, they may be using the same protocols there and that could kick it out. I am not sure of the specifics, but it's a best guess
The AI works on radio frequency - not sound. An electric scooter motor can cause interference depending on the type of motor and how well shielded it is.

If it worked on sound like the now defunct Liquivison system did (and the forthcoming Atomic wrist computer will use), you would not have any problems (and much longer range).

It would have been better if Shearwater had used an acoustic transmitter as HID lights can cause interference with the RF signal as well and many Shearwater faithful use lights and scooters. However, it would have been a significantly longer and costlier endeavour to develop that versus using readily available radio technology as they chose to do.

Last edited:
It was the av2 evo. 2 handed scooter and the computer is right next to the motor so I guess that would make sense. Just haven't used them together before so thought I'd ask. As soon as I stopped the scooter it connected back instantly though which was nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom