Pennsylvania considering implementing a "mileage-based user fee".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaylee_ann

crazy diver
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24

Might as well call it the "Kaylee fee". I've put 45k miles on my car since I got it a year and a half ago. That would be about $3600/year in mileage fees. Stupid crap.
This would screw independent contractor truckers, Uber/the like drivers...

Presumably those fees would replace state and local taxes on gas and diesel fuel, as opposed to being added to them. The alternative is asking drivers using those fuels to continue to subsidize everybody else (and the numbers of "everybody else" are only going to increase). Money to build and maintain highways has to come from somewhere. OTOH, asking some people for a monthly or yearly lump sum payment might be more difficult for them than just adding a few dollars on to every visit to the gas pumps.

Presumably........

DW

How do you arrive at $3600 dollars more per year? Pa gas tax $0.58/gal. Say 20mpg state wide average comes to $0.03 per mile, 36,000 miles a year = $1080 fee. Less the at the pump cost reduction 1800gal * $0 .58 = 1040 so net -$40 for you

If the total revenue generated is similar, then what is the purpose of the change? Right now people driving a gas hog vehicle, will pay more per mile in tax. If the mileage tax does not distinguish a Prius from an F-250, then the truck driver is doing way better on the proposed plan? Not sure I understand why charging at the gas pump does not make sense - I mean how much gas do we buy for the lawn mover?

Precisely, EVs currently contribute 0$ to road maintenance funds. While higher than average MPG vehicles (think newer/pricier) contribute substantially less. This makes the fuel tax regressive (hits those who can least afford it harder) by nature. Some will argue that heavier vehicles large SUVs and Pick-up trucks should pay more because they cause more wear and tear.

How do you arrive at $3600 dollars more per year? Pa gas tax $0.58/gal. Say 20mpg state wide average comes to $0.03 per mile, 36,000 miles a year = $1080 fee. Less the at the pump cost reduction 1800gal * $0 .58 = 1040 so net -$40 for you
I think I remember it saying the fee is $0.081/mile, but I also worked last night so might be off.

What about toll roads though? We already have those, and the cost is based on miles traveled on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom