Pre 1992 Mako Owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IncreaseMyT

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It has taken me a couple years but I have everything I could possibly need to take my boat out and have a successful day spearfishing on the water. In Feb 2016 I was still part of a boat club here in SWFL. It was honestly a great deal I paid $250 per month and once you got to know the system you could pretty much get a boat whenever you wanted. The problem is you have to bring it in at a certain time, can't leave until they put it in the water which might not be until 930. Then if you say you are coming early, and then don't make it on time they get mad your taking up space on the dock.

So that February I started looking around at boats and I stumbled on a $10,000 Mako 224 on craigslist. I started doing research by visiting the forums and seeing what people had to say. I learned that pre 1992 Mako's are somewhat coveted as far as cheaper boats go. This is because hurricane Andrew came through Homestead in 1992 and cleaned out the lot where the boats are made. Mako at the time was a private family owned business. They were in their prime competing with Boston Whaler. The family did not have enough money to re-make all the boats so they sold out to Bass Pro and some say the quality wen't down hill.

The boat had just been re-wired, the transom had been closed and it had a 225 EFI on it. I drive 3 hours to Port Richey with 10k in hand. I show up and of course, that Merc was smoking like a sailor, but it was super fast lol. We got it up to 51 mph on the test drive. It shut off once on the test drive too. But the boat was so dry, and it rode well because of the jack plate, essentially extending the boat another foot. Also the guy did an amazing job with gel coat, but the inside was not painted.

He had a shop he was working out of, fixing cars, body work. He told me his son was moving there and his son wanted to backwater fish. So he was getting a backwater boat. I didn't know if I believed him or not but didn't really care cause I could tell he did an awesome job on the transom.

So I say screw it, ask him if he thinks my half ton Tundra will pull it and I head down the road.

Initially I told myself I would work on the Merc, have her purring like a cat. It won't cost too much money because because I will do it myself lol. She ran FAST, but literally drank gasoline, about 1 MPG. I never could figure out where all the air leaks were coming from and I even flex sealed it in some places lol. That stuff works.

So I find an etec 300 used on Craigslist, I have always wanted one. I have to put a 2 stroke on this boat because of weight, its the max size motor for the boat and the 4 strokes are a lot heavier. But I wanted something good on gas. I used to only have Mercs and my cousin had an etec and swore it got good gas mileage. I literally drive to the other side of the state and pull this motor off a guys boat, he let me have it for $5,000. It had 600 hours on it but I looked at the report and 400 hours were at trolling speed, cause it was an east coast boat. Me and my son, and we don't have a lift we are in the back yard somewhere in Pompano Beach lol. We literally lift the motor off and it drops straight into the sand, standing straight up. Just how we planned it of course. Back my truck up, throw it on a mattress and off I go.

So I say what the heck I am gonna throw my engine on craigslist and see if it sells. I literally got a call that day, he asked about compression and I go yea the guy said it is great. I put it up for $2,500 bucks. He tells me to bring the boat to his place, he is on some property and he has the tools and he will take it off. I show up, he checks the compression and it is totally bunk lol. He tries giving me like a $1,000 for the motor and I say no way. He ends up giving me $1,700 dollars for this old Merc, little did I know there is a group of people out there that love them. Cause they can fix them themselves easily. So he was gonna do a quick rebuild and sell it. I think it was his side hustle.

So I have the dealer put the etec on. New controls, gauges. Its been over 3 years now and I gotta tell you it is one of the best boats I have ever owned. So now I have a little over 15k in this boat and it gets 3mpg and cruises at 38mph in flat seas. I can't believe it, I have drug this boat back and forth to the keys over and over now. Starts right up, no smoke, and one of the best gas mileage engines I have ever had, better than a 4 stroke and it only has to be serviced once per year not every 100 hours. The emissions rating is actually better than a 4 stroke. My range is now over 250 miles, not that I would ever do a trip that long on it.

So today I was loading my boat at the ramp, I pull up to batten everything down before driving off and this guy walks up to me and says "how do you like your Mako"? Obviously, I say I love it. He goes, yea I got one too I have had it for 25 years, and he points to it waiting in the ramp dock to be loaded. He said its a "lifetime" boat. It was a 20 footer. He tells me he has only re-powered once and never had to do much to it, no stringer problems, never replaced the tank and this guy didn't even have to put a new transom on it. I assume because he always trailered it. We spoke for about 10 minutes before I told him the only way I will ever sell this boat is if I can find a nice 261B. Even then may just give my kid the 224. But the 261B is my dream boat.

Anyways, I wanted to share how well both the pre 1992 Mako and the etec (gen 1) motors are, I am super impressed. I saw another thread about boats and which ones were good so thought this may be a good thread for here.

Here is a pic of her, took it today out on the water:

56770439-2131958846858499-7402849401397313536-n.jpg

And here is my ultimate dream boat. Yup I would take it over a new one (maybe not an Everglades :)).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom