Pennsylvania considering implementing a "mileage-based user fee".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m not sure what the best answer is but do believe that heavier vehicles should bear a higher burden of the costs as they have the most impact on the roads! However, I believe that everyone should pay something to have “some skin in the game”.

It pretty much works that way with Dino powered vehicles. Bigger and heavier have lower MPG. My 7600# F350 Diesel gets about 13-14 around town compared to my old 2100# Toyota Echo that gets 35-40.

EVs however are fairly heavy for their size. A Honda Accord has a factory spec curb weight of 3150#. A Tesla model 3 shows as 3582# or 4065# for either a single or dual motor. The Model S is up to 4766# and the X shows 5390#. By comparison an AWD Ford Explorer is 4437#. Going up in size, a 4x4 Chevy Tahoe lists a 5553# curb weight.

Those who have driven a Tesla also know the things are wicked quick accelerating too. This, along with the heavier weight, causes more wear and tear on road surfaces.

So if it’s about paying a fair share, EVs should pay higher per mileage road tax/fee.

also it’s not fair for frequent travelers to have to pay out the ass and people who barely drive pay almost nothing…like sometimes people have to drive a lot for family and work, which is out of their control really.
Those who use the most, shouldn't pay the most?

Mileage x gross vehicle weight factor will reflect proportional wear on roads, no?

It pretty much works that way with Dino powered vehicles. Bigger and heavier have lower MPG. My 7600# F350 Diesel gets about 13-14 around town compared to my old 2100# Toyota Echo that gets 35-40.

EVs however are fairly heavy for their size. A Honda Accord has a factory spec curb weight of 3150#. A Tesla model 3 shows as 3582# or 4065# for either a single or dual motor. The Model S is up to 4766# and the X shows 5390#. By comparison an AWD Ford Explorer is 4437#. Going up in size, a 4x4 Chevy Tahoe lists a 5553# curb weight.

Those who have driven a Tesla also know the things are wicked quick accelerating too. This, along with the heavier weight, causes more wear and tear on road surfaces.

So if it’s about paying a fair share, EVs should pay higher per mileage road tax/fee.
Agreed - and commercial vehicles esp large trucks/tractor trailers. They reopened a quarry near us a few years ago and the constant stream of large, heavily loaded dump trucks is tearing up the roads!

also it’s not fair for frequent travelers to have to pay out the ass and people who barely drive pay almost nothing…like sometimes people have to drive a lot for family and work, which is out of their control really.
Maybe Uncle Joe can get you some forgiveness if he's re elected.

A number of states are looking into this type of arrangement, fearing the loss of gas tax money because of electric vehicles. They could just tax electricity in general more, or separately meter EV chargers. Taxing by the mile also means that the government will be tracking your vehicle to keep up with your mileage, so one more loss of privacy.

What about toll roads though? We already have those, and the cost is based on miles traveled on them.
I live in the Chicago area, many toll roads. You think those tolls will EVER go away? 🤣😁

There should be a way to generate revenue without imposing overwhelming intrusion into our lives. Right now there are significant federal subsidies that apply only toward specific rich people (the ones who can afford an EV). My share of the federal debt goes up, because I must subsidize the rich?

Perhaps a killer tax on tires? You pay it up front when you buy them. Beat on the tires, beat on the road, drive like a maniac, you pay more? Seems simple enough without having big brother looking over your shoulder every mile.

I like meters on the EV plugs. With higher electric rates on those meters.

Won't happen because the government is stupidity of pushing them on people.

The main problem is as a society we have created a situation where almost everyone has to drive for just the necessities work, groceries etc.

I think this is more designed to motivate people to only drive for necessities and not drive for anything else.

There should be a way to generate revenue without imposing overwhelming intrusion into our lives. Right now there are significant federal subsidies that apply only toward specific rich people (the ones who can afford an EV). My share of the federal debt goes up, because I must subsidize the rich?

Perhaps a killer tax on tires? You pay it up front when you buy them. Beat on the tires, beat on the road, drive like a maniac, you pay more? Seems simple enough without having big brother looking over your shoulder every mile.
EV’s do chew through tires far faster (~20% faster) than comparably sized ICE vehicles due to their bloated weight!

However a tire tax like this is not really fair either as it would penalize sportier cars that go through tires faster as the performance tires they use have way softer compounds for better grip.

Vehicle weight would seem the best way to target impact (miles driven is the other factor).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom