Pennsylvania considering implementing a "mileage-based user fee".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the total revenue generated is similar, then what is the purpose of the change?
We’ll… for one, it’s time for the free ride for the EV folks to end and have them actually pay for the roads too - especially since their heavier vehicles are harder on the roads than comparably sized gas powered cars!

Idk, I haven't seen any proposed per mile numbers, but my assumptions are based on the implementation being revenue neutral. If you use a lower average feel economy say 10 mpg the cost per mile would go up and it would be much worse for some one getting much better milage

Idk, I haven't seen any proposed per mile numbers, but my assumptions are based on the implementation being revenue neutral. If you use a lower average feel economy say 10 mpg the cost per mile would go up and it would be much worse for some one getting much better milage
My car gets 40-44mpg on freeways. I can easily get 530+ miles on long trips…and will be charged out the ass for it.

We’ll… for one, it’s time for the free ride for the EV folks to end and have them actually pay for the roads too - especially since their heavier vehicles are harder on the roads than comparably sized gas powered cars!
Maybe EVs should be charged a per mile tax and not the gasoline powered ones?

Maybe EVs should be charged a per mile tax and not the gasoline powered ones?
The issue with charging folks by mile is that even folks who drive low miles expect the roads to be maintained in good condition when they do use them.

I’m not sure what the best answer is but do believe that heavier vehicles should bear a higher burden of the costs as they have the most impact on the roads! However, I believe that everyone should pay something to have “some skin in the game”.

What about toll roads though? We already have those, and the cost is based on miles traveled on them.
Hahahaha!!! The turnpike was invented in PA. Ain’t a road commissioner on the entire planet that didn’t love him some revenue. In Houston, the beltway toll was supposed to go away when the road was paid for. Guess what? The toll is never going away. Here in Norfolk, the toll for the mid-town and Down-town tunnels was supposed to go away when the bonds were paid off. But the tolls go up, every year.

It’s worth it to not have to live in Norfolk.

Precisely, EVs currently contribute 0$ to road maintenance funds. While higher than average MPG vehicles (think newer/pricier) contribute substantially less. This makes the fuel tax regressive (hits those who can least afford it harder) by nature. Some will argue that heavier vehicles large SUVs and Pick-up trucks should pay more because they cause more wear and tear.
Heavier vehicles....like EV's?

The issue with charging folks by mile is that even folks who drive low miles expect the roads to be maintained in good condition when they do use them.

also it’s not fair for frequent travelers to have to pay out the ass and people who barely drive pay almost nothing…like sometimes people have to drive a lot for family and work, which is out of their control really.

Hahahaha!!! The turnpike was invented in PA. Ain’t a road commissioner on the entire planet that didn’t love him some revenue. In Houston, the beltway toll was supposed to go away when the road was paid for. Guess what? The toll is never going away. Here in Norfolk, the toll for the mid-town and Down-town tunnels was supposed to go away when the bonds were paid off. But the tolls go up, every year.

It’s worth it to not have to live in Norfolk.
Anything to make more money…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom