Pending changes for certifications required for JDC dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn’t affect me but not surprised to see JDC leading the pack with respect to being the scuba police. They’ve always been the most anal and borderline silly. Requiring to see my Nitrox card even if I’m bringing my own tanks? Requiring O2 clean tanks to fill with banked Nitrox? I’ve never seen another operation implement the kind of rules they do. But their shop, their rules. I politely show them the cards they want to see & just get my fills elsewhere.
Just go to Kyalami (Jupiter Scuba Diving) next door.

Reading comprehension was never my strong suit 😂.

I think we are in agreement. A diver certification level is really the only, non objective way to evaluate a divers competency, quickly. It’s certainly not perfect because of the variation in training quality, location, and experience of the diver. But it’s better than nothing.
But AOW certification is completely artificial. The idea that diving below 60 ft requires some special training is ridiculous. Like, you need some special training to drive faster than 60 mph, and w/o a special drivers license that proves you were certified to drive faster than 60 mph a rental car company won't serve you.

But AOW certification is completely artificial. The idea that diving below 60 ft requires some special training is ridiculous.
So, you feel that no training is needed, of any kind? No calling attention to the rate a which one uses up gas, no mention of narcosis, no mention of the difficulty of a CESA, no mention of color changes, no mention of possible thermoclines? And, of course, AOW is more than just a dive below 60 ft.

True … but insurance companies don’t give a bleep. All they care about is how things look in court. To an uneducated member of a jury certification cards equals competence.
That is because every injury and death winds up in court and they have to pay.
Certified is easier to defend than qualified.

So, you feel that no training is needed, of any kind? No calling attention to the rate a which one uses up gas, no mention of narcosis, no mention of the difficulty of a CESA, no mention of color changes, no mention of possible thermoclines? And, of course, AOW is more than just a dive below 60 ft.
These all were in my basic training.

When, which agency?
NAUI/2002. We took the whole semester of training, including Nitrox, and passed tests like orientation (swimming X in a pool with your mask filled with wet paper towels); going down to 20 ft, putting your fins, weights and mask on there and coming up with a clear mask; etc, 20 tests in all. You fail 1 test and you are out. We'd learned all the theory, including N2 narcosis and O2 toxicity, and we even learned and practiced the basics of rescue. Yet in the end we got the regular 2480-1-2 OWD cards.

NAUI/2002. We took the whole semester of training, including Nitrox, and passed tests like orientation (swimming X in a pool with your mask filled with wet paper towels); going down to 20 ft, putting your fins, weights and mask on there and coming up with a clear mask; etc, 20 tests in all. You fail 1 test and you are out. We'd learned all the theory, including N2 narcosis and O2 toxicity, and we even learned and practiced the basics of rescue. Yet in the end we got the regular 2480-1-2 OWD cards.
That was not the usual class then, and certainly not the usual class today. Because you had special training does not allow you to generalize to all students in all classes today.

That was not the usual class then, and certainly not the usual class today. Because you had special training does not allow you to generalize to all students in all classes today.
I do not need your allowance to generalize whatever I want to generalize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom