Passing gas affecting buoyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that the warhammer maneuver had to be executed and vented at the same time while underwater.
Actually, that is true of the traditional tropical warhammer... I beleive that in cold water, venting does not need to be concurrent with excution. We can't all get to the red sea to perform the traditional warhammer ritual.

I think the physics pretty clearly indicate that your bouyancy would increase upon release of the gas.

That is based on the asssumption (hope really) that your rectum has some degree of tension. The pelvic floor muscles in conjunction with the normal peristalic pressure (tension) on the walls of the rectum should result in some tension and the ability to retain gas. This along with a well controlled anus SHOULD allow some compression of gas. Thus it is compressed before release into the dry suit. This rectal tension and positive rectal pressure is demonstrated quite readily when the release of gas is audible.

Of course excessive tension in the pelvic floor can cause excessive rectal tension, which can result in a whole host of complications...

The pressure of gas in the intestine would probably be at a tiny fraction of an atmosphere. Peristalic muscle contractions are used to move gas down the intestine not to compress it. The temperature in the intestine is much higher than the ambiant temperature in the area surrounding its release. The drop in temperature would probably offset the release in pressure, keeping the total volume of the little stinker approximately the same. Of course the true measure of a fart in a dry suit is not the volume of gas, but its tonal quality and ability to attract marine mammals from great distances.

The pressure of gas in the intestine would probably be at a tiny fraction of an atmosphere. Peristalic muscle contractions are used to move gas down the intestine not to compress it. The temperature in the intestine is much higher than the ambiant temperature in the area surrounding its release. The drop in temperature would probably offset the release in pressure, keeping the total volume of the little stinker approximately the same. Of course the true measure of a fart in a dry suit is not the volume of gas, but its tonal quality and ability to attract marine mammals from great distances.

Gas is moved by compression. It moves from an area of high to low pressure. The adiabatic cooling of the flatulence upon release from the anus would result in a drop in temperature and a concomitant reduction in volume, however this effect would be minor. The subsequent decrease in volume due to cooling within the confines of the dry suit would certainly occur, but I beleive the original OP's question was in respect to the immediate consequences of the release of the gas into the suit.

Gamble on a fart and lose?...it happens sometimes

I once saw a video on YouTube of a Girl in a Hot Tub who lost that gamble...I will never again be able to get that vision out of my head.

My question was, if you fart, and it stays within the dry suit, will your buoyancy be affected.

No. the volume difference between inside your body and outside is negligible. Also the volume of gas is minute, even if eat you the deluxe-double dip breakfast burrito with prune danish on the side, you will only release maybe 50cc of gas. the volume of gas moving in and out of your lungs is measured in liters (6 liters is the normal volume for an adult). It would make for an interesting discussion over at accidents and incidents speculating how a burrito backlash did in some undfortunate soul killed by an unintended ascent from depth. Also, keep in mind that the microbes that are procuding the gas are making the same amount of gas at depth as they do on the surface (but being under pressure from the water column, would have a much smaller volume.) I wouldn't recommend drinking carbonated drinks at depth because the soda will appear flat until you try to surface and the CO2 will come out of solution and make you very uncomfortable.

I dont know about the buoyancy issue but i do know the true reason a fart smells is for the benefit of those that didnt hear it. therefore it seems it it would be wasted in a wet suit but would fulfill its destiny best in a drysuit. Except in the case of the gamble and lose.

If you fart in the forest and nobody hears it......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom