Passing gas affecting buoyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When I dive, sometimes I notice that I have to burp.

This got me thinking

In a dry suit, where you control the air in, and out, what would happen if you pass gas? Would it mess up your buoyancy? Would it not change a thing since it cam from you?

Just some of the many odd things to cross my mind at depth.

Your body will be subjected to so much pressure beyond 2 ATA that you will not be able to pass gas.

Then why can I burp? Gas is gas, regardless of the end it comes out at.

When I dive, sometimes I notice that I have to burp.

This got me thinking

In a dry suit, where you control the air in, and out, what would happen if you pass gas? Would it mess up your buoyancy? Would it not change a thing since it cam from you?

Just some of the many odd things to cross my mind at depth.

It has no impact whatsoever, for many reasons:
- It is coming from you
- The volume you are passing is peanuts

However, on a more serious note, people should pay attention to what they are eating and try to avoid fodd that is known to generate gas, such as beans, sprouts etc. If you are generating gasses while diving, this (small, that's true) bubbles of gas inside the body can, thanks to pressure difference, grow large enough to cause pain in the belly when getting back to the surface.

It is usually a non-issue, but for long and deep dives, with "consequent" gas production, it might be a real problem.

You don't have to worry about it, but if too much methane comes out of your shoulder dump it can cause a ship to sink - at least according to one theory regarding what's going on in the Bermuda Triangle.

Then why can I burp? Gas is gas, regardless of the end it comes out at.

Contrary to what many believe, a fart is not a burp of the wrong end. Neither is it the other way round.

I've not found gas to effect my buoyancy, but it sure has a profound effect on the buddy I ask to help unzip my dry suit :)

Never unzip the suit of a buddy who's blown up the the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man and has a huge grin on his face....

- The volume you are passing is peanuts

That could be a problem.

Picture76.png

You're a flexible tubby container, not a rigid tank. So there would be no buoyancy swing to speak of, because the gas is already in the system.
Theoretically though, there may be a very minute change as your bowels create this gas, but let's remember that unless you went to a fiesta the day before, I don't think you'd be creating that much gas that quickly. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom