Parts for life program - who has one now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Who has a decent Parts for Life program now?

I know Scubapro requires you to buy 3 pieces of equipment - regs, bcd and computer. This won't work for us.

I was told Apeks has one too, which only requires you to buy their regulators from an authorized dealer, Yr 1 maintenance service, Yr 2 overahaul, repeat. Parts kits are required only for overhaul.

I was told Scubapro's parts kits can cost a lot...plus labour, adding up to several hundred (CAD$300-400) every 2 years for a complete set of regs. :facepalm:

Can someone shed some light on this? Should I forget about getting Scubapros and get Apeks instead? We're warm water vacation divers and do not want to (and do not know how) to safely service our own regs.

Are there courses that non-professionals can take to service a Scubapro reg? Is this advisable?

Deep Six has one if you take their service course. $150 this year at DEMA and you get free parts every 2 years, no proof of anything required other than that you own the reg and took the service class.

Scubapro and Aqualung will not allow those not associated with a dealer to service their regulators and purchase parts kits in the US

If you don't want to do that, then I wouldn't worry about parts for life.
Buy used regs that you like, doesn't really matter. Grab an IP gauge, do IP checks and bubble checks on your regulators regularly. If the IP gauge or the bubbles say "service me" then go ahead and get them serviced.
Free parts for life on the requirement that you get annual inspection and can only get it done by dealers is a rip-off

aqualung / apeks has one but it heavily depends on the dive shop you are dealing with how worthwhile it is. if the shop charges for the inspection, you aren't really coming out ahead much if at all. some will do the inspection for free if you buy the reg at the shop and then it can sort of be ok if you dive regularly enough your reg actually needs an overhaul every 2 years.

I know it gets said a lot but... Deep 6 Regs give you the option. I personally don't want to rebuild my own and have no problem sending them to GA every 2 years. The first service is free. That's 4 years before paying for service. I have dove mine in warm water and regularly dive them in cold water. Simply amazing build quality and comfort.

I know it gets said a lot but... Deep 6 Regs give you the option. I personally don't want to rebuild my own and have no problem sending them to GA every 2 years. The first service is free. That's 4 years before paying for service. I have dove mine in warm water and regularly dive them in cold water. Simply amazing build quality and comfort.

Shipping internationally is a hassle at the best of times...going through customs...uncertainty of taxes and duties...I can't go to DEMA and take the course cause I'm not a pro. So that kinda eliminates Deep 6.

I was told Scubapro's parts kits can cost a lot...plus labour, adding up to several hundred (CAD$300-400) every 2 years for a complete set of regs.

I doubt very much that the service kit for SP regulators would cost that much. Check with people that have done it and ascertain the costs before you make assumptions.

My zeagle regs bought 12 years ago had the parts free for life as long as you service every year. It got expensive tbh. After the free parts "disappeared" I started servicing them every 3-4 years. Work just as good as saved some money. I wouldnt choose a brand based on free parts for life as we've seen it taken away.

I doubt very much that the service kit for SP regulators would cost that much. Check with people that have done it and ascertain the costs before you make assumptions.

That wasn't an assumption. A dive shop told me that that's what I should budget for the overhaul. Remember, it's in Canadian dollars. Tack on 30+% as foreign exchange rate and "we have a very small market here so we have to charge everyone more for everything" tax. Oh, and 13% HST (our form of VAT).

I get it though, it might require shopping around for better prices. :D

Love to know from fellow Canucks what they're being charged for regulator overhaul. I understand there'll be regional differences so I'll keep that in mind as well.

Last edited:
My zeagle regs bought 12 years ago had the parts free for life as long as you service every year. It got expensive tbh. After the free parts "disappeared" I started servicing them every 3-4 years. Work just as good as saved some money. I wouldnt choose a brand based on free parts for life as we've seen it taken away.

Based on the posts so far, that's where my thinking is headed as well...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom