Parts for life program - who has one now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep Six has one if you take their service course. $150 this year at DEMA and you get free parts every 2 years, no proof of anything required other than that you own the reg and took the service class.

Scubapro and Aqualung will not allow those not associated with a dealer to service their regulators and purchase parts kits in the US

If you don't want to do that, then I wouldn't worry about parts for life.
Buy used regs that you like, doesn't really matter. Grab an IP gauge, do IP checks and bubble checks on your regulators regularly. If the IP gauge or the bubbles say "service me" then go ahead and get them serviced.
Free parts for life on the requirement that you get annual inspection and can only get it done by dealers is a rip-off
if they send to us (Deep 6) or use any of our Demo centers/Ind Instrs for service it's free parts as well

That wasn't an assumption. A dive shop told me that that's what I should budget for the overhaul. Remember, it's in Canadian dollars. Tack on 30+% as foreign exchange rate and "we have a very small market here so we have to charge everyone more for everything" tax. Oh, and 13% HST (our form of VAT).

I get it though, it might require shopping around for better prices. :D

Love to know from fellow Canucks what they're being charged for regulator overhaul. I understand there'll be regional differences so I'll keep that in mind as well.
I bought two SP first stage service kits recently at retail minus a instr discount(literally for a friend) from a friend who is a SP dealer, MSRP was 90 something bucks.

Shipping internationally is a hassle at the best of times...going through customs...uncertainty of taxes and duties...I can't go to DEMA and take the course cause I'm not a pro. So that kinda eliminates Deep 6.

the first course is run at DEMA and I imagine they will run it there every year. The course I suspect will be rolled out similar to the way HOG does it through TDI so you should have one more local. The good thing though is that you would have 2 years to figure it out

Look into the other "premier" line - Atomic. Their service requirement is 2 years/300 dives on all models. If you do the math, it offsets the higher initial price somewhere between the 4th-5th year. Although their $439US$ Z2 breathes the same as their $1750 T3 - the difference is mostly the amount of titanium used. $40 more to seal it for cold water which you likely need. Although things like the 2nd stage demand lever are Ti across the line also.

I can't speak for Canada but here in the US my parts cost are 20% or less of the service bill, the rest is labor.

Shipping internationally is a hassle at the best of times...going through customs...uncertainty of taxes and duties...I can't go to DEMA and take the course cause I'm not a pro. So that kinda eliminates Deep 6.
I live in Toronto. I plan to buy Deep 6 regs at the end of the year. I’m sold on their quality and service model. I hope duties don’t kill me. Still willing to go that route.
Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

I live in Toronto. I plan to buy Deep 6 regs at the end of the year. I’m sold on their quality and service model. I hope duties don’t kill me. Still willing to go that route.
Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

you live in Toronto, find a buddy in Buffalo and come over the border, or use it as an excuse to dive somewhere warm....

you live in Toronto, find a buddy in Buffalo and come over the border, or use it as an excuse to dive somewhere warm....

I know folks in Vancouver that do this all the time, by going to Seattle.

i live just outside of toronto
i have scubapro, free parts for life, get serviced every two years
$ 30 per stage in newmarket = $90 or....
$100 for 1st stage, primary and octo in peterboro
so around $100 to service three pieces

i live just outside of toronto
i have scubapro, free parts for life, get serviced every two years
$ 30 per stage in newmarket = $90 or....
$100 for 1st stage, primary and octo in peterboro
so around $100 to service three pieces

I suppose you bought Scubapro bcd and computer as well to get the free parts for life? Or was it the legacy program you're under?

I was also quoted approx CAD$100 for labour for 3 pieces. It was the parts kits that added up, $60 - $90 per stage (retail prices). Assuming the low end of CAD$60 times 3, plus labour of CAD$100, plus 13% tax, that's CAD$316.40 (min.) And we would have 2 sets, my husband and I.

This is for an overhaul to be done every 2 years. I'm assuming this overhaul every 2 years is the minimum service required to keep the warranty valid, though I haven't actually read the warranty fine print and can't find a copy of it online.

CAD$300 - $400 times 2 every 2 years causes me extreme pause. :tired: Deep6 policy is looking a lot more attractive, despite the hassles of shipping and duties. And if they could do an online reg service course, wouldn't that be da bomb!

Hey, I'm all for giving my LDS's business but my conscience won't let me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom