Parents sue Boy Scouts for 2011 negligence death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello All,

I was not aware of Richie Kohler being named as a defendant in a civil case until the topic was broached on this thread. I was curious.

Here is what I found, and just in case I am not the only one who did not know:
Send Lawyers Guns & Money

I trust John Chatterton's account to be reliable.

markm
To finish that story that Chatterton wrote about, the family appealed the verdict. Today Ritchie's lawyer won the appeal. It is really over, and DeWolfs family must pay Richie's court costs for the appeal. The appeals court affirmed that ITI and the gear manufacturer were dismissed properly. Richie did thank Brian Carney and ITI for standing behind him.

Someone once pointed out that a lot of divers don't really explain the reality of what they are doing to their wives. Then they compound this by not having sufficient life insurance. So you get a grieving widow with small kids, no or minimal life insurance, no income from her dead husband, and her husband was killed doing something that he assured her was perfectly safe. What would expect to happen when she is drowning in bills she can't pay and a lawyer starts to talk about how he can help her for free?

Last edited:
To finish that story that Chatterton wrote about, the family appealed the verdict. Today Ritchie's lawyer won the appeal. It is really over, and DeWolfs family must pay Richie's court costs for the appeal. The appeals court affirmed that ITI and the gear manufacturer were dismissed properly. Richie did thank Brian Carney and ITI for standing behind him.
Good to hear. Ritchie is a great guy and does not deserve that kind of crap. JC had it right in his blog.

Why is none of this ever discussed in the "diving and the law" seminars at DEMA? We're always told to comply with local law enforcement requests and send incident reports to the agency. I'll be damned if I ever send another incident report to anyone.

This is exactly what I'm thinking as well.

Since we know who also runs DEMA it's understandable why they wouldn't deliver quality legal advice to protect the instructor during the show.

So Subfiend, Say I did a no-no and took three people on a DSD, which is one past SDI's limit of 2. There's an accident, and you're suggesting that you would still cover me for knowingly exceeding standards? What if I took 8 DSDs? How about 23? Where is that line drawn, or are you suggesting that there is no line and my knight in shining armor will defend me anyway.

Coverage is not the same as defending you. It's likely that the insurance company would deny coverage if you knowingly disregarded standards. Adherence to standards is a common condition of coverage. In most cases, however, the carrier would still provide you with a defense, but reserve the right to deny coverage and make you repay the cost of defense if it was proven that you violated standards. Furthermore, failing to adhere to standards may not be the cause of the injury. You could have 23 students in the water but the decedent could die from a fatal case of myocarditis, or maybe they failed their equipment and it caused them to drown. There are lots of different scenarios. So, yes. I would defend you and, in the course of this defense, I would NOT throw you under a bus with the plaintiff's attorneys. I don't work for the plaintiff. I work for you, even if the insurance company hires me.

---------- Post added November 19th, 2014 at 09:59 PM ----------

Regarding the DeWolf case, I defended Richie Kohler, International Training, Inc. (TDI/SDI) and Lamartek, Inc. (Dive-Rite) in that case.

Richie was, indeed, covered by Willis under his instructor's policy, even though he never provided any instruction to Terry DeWolf. His defense was covered because there was some allegation in each of the multiple complaints (six or eight?) the plaintiff filed that triggered this coverage. I don't remember what the allegation was off the top of my head, and most of the complaints were illegible so it was difficult to tell, but nevertheless Willis stepped up to defend him and Willis hired me.

International Training, Inc., the parent company to TDI/SDI, was later brought in to the suit with the allegation that it provided improper training to Kohler or issued him false credential, and his TDI/SDI credentials allowed him to charter the expedition vessel and mislead DeWolf into going on the Andrea Doria expedition with him because Richie was supposedly not qualified to lead an expedition to the Andrea Doria. These allegations were without merit and they got blown out on summary judgment. Consequently, International Training was dismissed from the case before trial.

Lamartek, Inc. was also brought into the suit in a later complaint. The allegation was that the Dive-Rite Optima rebreather DeWolf was wearing malfunctioned and this somehow led to his death. Lamartek was also dismissed on summary judgment. The court found that the plaintiffs waited until after the expiration of the statute of limitations to sue Lamartek, and there was also no evidence to support the plaintiff's claims that the rebreather malfunctioned. (Interestingly, DeWolf's attorney was working closely with the attorneys representing Wes Skiles' widow, so many of DeWolf's allegations were copied from the Skiles case. The Skiles case could be its own thread here on SB.)

The DeWolf case was tried in Houston, Texas for two weeks in June 2013. Willis stood by Richie and picked up the tab for the defense, as it also did for the appeal. TDI/SDI also stood by Richie, with training Director Sean Harrison traveling to Houston at his company's expense to testify that Richie earned every one of his credentials that SDI and TDI issued to him. In addition, one of the divers on the expedition traveled from Belgium to Houston at his own expense to testify on Richie's behalf.

The jury was out less than an hour before it came back with a question: "Can we hold Terry DeWolf responsible for causing his own death?" None of the plaintiff's theories were accepted, just as the appellate court ruled against every theory the plaintiff raised on appeal. Here is a copy of the decision the appellate court issued yesterday if anybody is interested in reading it: DeWolf v. Kohler - Court of Appeals Judgment and Opinion - Nov. 18 2014.

Last edited:
Coverage is not the same as defending you. It's likely that the insurance company would deny coverage if you knowingly disregarded standards. Adherence to standards is a common condition of coverage. In most cases, however, the carrier would still provide you with a defense, but reserve the right to deny coverage and make you repay the cost of defense if it was proven that you violated standards. Furthermore, failing to adhere to standards may not be the cause of the injury. You could have 23 students in the water but the decedent could die from a fatal case of myocarditis, or maybe they failed their equipment and it caused them to drown. There are lots of different scenarios. So, yes. I would defend you and, in the course of this defense, I would NOT throw you under a bus with the plaintiff's attorneys. I don't work for the plaintiff. I work for you, even if the insurance company hires me.

---------- Post added November 19th, 2014 at 09:59 PM ----------

Regarding the DeWolf case, I defended Richie Kohler, International Training, Inc. (TDI/SDI) and Lamartek, Inc. (Dive-Rite) in that case.

Richie was, indeed, covered by Willis under his instructor's policy, even though he never provided any instruction to Terry DeWolf. His defense was covered because there was some allegation in each of the multiple complaints (six or eight?) the plaintiff filed that triggered this coverage. I don't remember what the allegation was off the top of my head, and most of the complaints were illegible so it was difficult to tell, but nevertheless Willis stepped up to defend him and Willis hired me.

International Training, Inc., the parent company to TDI/SDI, was later brought in to the suit with the allegation that it provided improper training to Kohler or issued him false credential, and his TDI/SDI credentials allowed him to charter the expedition vessel and mislead DeWolf into going on the Andrea Doria expedition with him because Richie was supposedly not qualified to lead an expedition to the Andrea Doria. These allegations were without merit and they got blown out on summary judgment. Consequently, International Training was dismissed from the case before trial.

Lamartek, Inc. was also brought into the suit in a later complaint. The allegation was that the Dive-Rite Optima rebreather DeWolf was wearing malfunctioned and this somehow led to his death. Lamartek was also dismissed on summary judgment. The court found that the plaintiffs waited until after the expiration of the statute of limitations to sue Lamartek, and there was also no evidence to support the plaintiff's claims that the rebreather malfunctioned. (Interestingly, DeWolf's attorney was working closely with the attorneys representing Wes Skiles' widow, so many of DeWolf's allegations were copied from the Skiles case. The Skiles case could be its own thread here on SB.)

The DeWolf case was tried in Houston, Texas for two weeks in June 2013. Willis stood by Richie and picked up the tab for the defense, as it also did for the appeal. TDI/SDI also stood by Richie, with training Director Sean Harrison traveling to Houston at his company's expense to testify that Richie earned every one of his credentials that SDI and TDI issued to him. In addition, one of the divers on the expedition traveled from Belgium to Houston at his own expense to testify on Richie's behalf.

The jury was out less than an hour before it came back with a question: "Can we hold Terry DeWolf responsible for causing his own death?" None of the plaintiff's theories were accepted, just as the appellate court ruled against every theory the plaintiff raised on appeal. Here is a copy of the decision the appellate court issued yesterday if anybody is interested in reading it: DeWolf v. Kohler - Court of Appeals Judgment and Opinion - Nov. 18 2014.

Counselor:

Speaking of facts-

Is it true the instructor overweighted the youth (35 pounds) and put him in a BCD that was not properly functioning?

---------- Post added November 21st, 2014 at 12:44 AM ----------

Counselor- I'll ask again because I notice there has been no response by you as to the question I asked about the gear supplied by the Instructor- was the amount of weight on the youth-REALLY 35 pounds? And were there problems with the BCD given the youth.?

Just looking for The FACTS of the case - not whether they nail the lid on your client's negligence....

---------- Post added November 21st, 2014 at 02:07 PM ----------

Wow another day still no response- guess that says EVERYTHING

Last edited:
Humming Simon and Garfunkel sounds of silence...

There is something I have been wondering about in this case.

!. Some people have been insisting there were no standards violations involved.
2. Many of those same people are upset that PADI apparently released the incident report the instructor filled out after the dive, arguing that it is supposed to be privileged information that is kept secret.

It seems to me that if I were an instructor who committed no standards violations during an incident, I would definitely want to have that incident report released. I would fight to have it released, in fact, since it would be evidence that no standards were violated.

I could be wrong but I think the people who said that there were no standards violations were just quoting the guy from SDI's letter or they are not instructors. I reckon anyone reading these threads now knows there were serious violations although there is still disagreement about it being PADI's responsibility to eliminate the use of instructor judgement regarding ratios. I understand the point of some people is that if PADI had forced the lower ratio, and the defendant instructor followed that reduced standard, he would have better been able to follow the other standards that he broke.

...but good point, anyway.

And still no response from counsel about the defective BCD nor the weight on the drowned student.... These are objective FACTS - so why not fess up subfiend - consider yourself CALLED OUT.

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2014 at 11:16 AM ----------

I hope EVERYONE on this blog has taken note of the failure to respond to the issues I raised. I trust all of you now see the issue for what it really was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom