Unknown Man drowns snorkeling in Hawaii, wife sues Hawaii for not warning of danger of snorkeling

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We need more judges with the cojones to dismiss these actions and make the plaintiffs pay court costs.

I am not sure if you're trying to refer to Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants... If so, yeah, there was a good reason for that lawsuit. Unfortunately, that lawsuit is often cited or referred to out of context major detail omissions. Look it up, if you're interested.
Yep. That lawsuit is often referenced when people talk about huge payouts and frivolous lawsuits. In college, I had to read the case study including the legal decision for that lawsuit. Certainly eye opening. The compensatory damages in that case were a small portion of the total payout. The vast majority was in punitive damages to McDonalds. Essentially, they knew it was a problem and did nothing.

Back to this case, I sincerely hope this gets thrown out. I'm really not sure what they are expecting the state of Hawaii to do. I've been snorkeling, swimming, diving, or otherwise using the waters of many different states. Not once were any state officials aware that I was doing this. I did not have to check in and report, so I'm not sure why they would even think that they would have to warn me about the dangers.

Yep. That lawsuit is often referenced when people talk about huge payouts and frivolous lawsuits. In college, I had to read the case study including the legal decision for that lawsuit. Certainly eye opening. The compensatory damages in that case were a small portion of the total payout. The vast majority was in punitive damages to McDonalds. Essentially, they knew it was a problem and did nothing.

Back to this case, I sincerely hope this gets thrown out. I'm really not sure what they are expecting the state of Hawaii to do. I've been snorkeling, swimming, diving, or otherwise using the waters of many different states. Not once were any state officials aware that I was doing this. I did not have to check in and report, so I'm not sure why they would even think that they would have to warn me about the dangers.
I will reserve judgement until I know more details. Here is my perception on this and other lawsuits.

Mass media has become a form of entertainment. It is virtually impossible to create a mass media business focused on in-depth articles that require above average reading comprehension and attention. Thus, news outlets compress, simplify, and remove everything that is not eye catching. This case is a good example, as the public verdict is out - "burn the witch!" However, it appears that there are some interesting facts, like the the state knowing that tourist snorkeling fatalities exceed local rates.

In other words, I'd like to see more evidence. There is way too much knee-jerk reaction.

This is the second thread on this topic, and people who are actually interested in the case should visit it. It is linked on the first page of this thread. This thread has apparently been reserved for cynical potshots.

New PSA from the Hawaii Department of Tourism.

Attachments

• This side up snorkel.jpg
    This side up snorkel.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom