Ginnie Springs, CDA, and Dive Instructor sued over drowning death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While not directly related to diving litigation I came across this bit of "news" about a different case involving Ginnie Springs. Seems the owners aren't just making money off of campers and divers.

Meanwhile, agricultural users have permits in the same county to withdraw 100x the amount of the Nestle permit. Farming interests also tend to pollute the aquifer a bit by dumping fertilizer all over everything.

Meanwhile, agricultural users have permits in the same county to withdraw 100x the amount of the Nestle permit. Farming interests also tend to pollute the aquifer a bit by dumping fertilizer all over everything.
Yea, this.^^^^

It is totally hypocritical to call Ginnie out over pumping water while the neighboring farmers pump so much more AND dump fertilizer in in groundwater.

Yea, this.^^^^

It is totally hypocritical to call Ginnie out over pumping water while the neighboring farmers pump so much more AND dump fertilizer in in groundwater.

Dump fertilizer over everything/in the groundwater?

I am not from the area, so can you please explain.

But coming from a farming background, most of the media/ activists are plain wrong.
Farming is more high tech then most people understand.

Fertilize is expensive, I doubt they are DUMPING it EVERYWHERE.

Profit margins are very tight, and saving a bit by using less fertilizer if possible, is an important part.

A lot of Florida springs have issues with high phosphate levels which results in high amounts of algae which chokes out the native river grasses.

The most likely source for all that phosphates is fertilizer. In fact you see it in some springs, I think it was Twin Cave in Marianna the worst vis is directly downstream of the golf course, and clears up as you pass it.

I think it was Twin Cave in Marianna the worst vis is directly downstream of the golf course, and clears up as you pass it.
Golf courses now that makes more sense... they are growing a crop of grass for looks... not to harvest,

It really bugs me that alot of people want to blame food production, on everything.

It will never happen but if all farmer went on strike for 30 days (even a week) the results would be unbelievable.
Thank a farmer, they are the reason,
You have time to go diving, instead of
Trying to grow enough food to survive in your backyard.

In June 2012 Tropical Storm Debby dumped rain here in North Florida. Wikipedia states that the Suwannee River reached its highest level since Hurricane Dora in 1964 because of Debby. Debby sat on top of us for about 72 hours.

Ginnie flooded out bad...my neighbors house was flooded to the rafters.

As water receded Mark Wray who was the owner at Ginnie asked to do a series of dives in the Devils' cave over a week long period to assess conditions. I dived daily even though the spring was closed to the public.

I was diving a wetsuit that week and after EVERY dive my wetsuit smelled like fertilizer, it was very strong and I washed my wetsuit out after every dive to try and get rid of the smell.

That was a result of farmers dumping fertilizer on the ground and it finding its way into the aquifer/groundwater.

Because of a flood they where intentionally dumping it?
It's a flood. I'll bet there was more than farmers fertilizer in there.

Probably septic. From the nearest town. Because they never dump sewers when they are overwhelmed..

Probably septic. From the nearest town. Because they never dump sewers when they are overwhelmed..
No towns closeby - High Springs is the closest, several miles away. Anyway it did not smell like septic, it was fertilizer.

I think farmers and farming are the backbone of America. I hope people don't complain about farmers with their mouths full.

However this I am talking about is real.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom