Parents sue Boy Scouts for 2011 negligence death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For $800k, PADI has bought itself out of the expensive lottery that is staying in a lawsuit through final judgment and any appeals. They also avoid the possibility that, if their standards are found to be at fault in this case, that could become an established fact to be used against them in other cases. That may still be found in this case, but without PADI being a defendant when it happens, PADI can claim it wasn't present to contest that finding and therefore the question has to be litigated yet again in whatever other/later case(s) it comes up in.

What they haven't done is settled the plaintiffs' claims against the remaining defendants, which will go forward absent another settlement. As part of that process, the remaining defendants can argue that PADI's standards were the reason/a reason for the deaths, and that the instructor was therefore not liable/is less liable. If the judge or jury buys that argument, then at the end of the day the case might conclude with a finding that PADI was the/a cause of the accident and is responsible for $X worth of plaintiffs' damages. Of course, plaintiffs could not get any of that because they already agreed with PADI to settle their claims against it for $800k...so that'd be that.

The problem PADI faces is that it's much easier to shift blame to someone who isn't present to defend themselves, the so-called "empty chair." While you cannot stand up in front of a jury and say "PADI is clearly at fault here: they settled out for $800k rather than show up here today and defend themselves, because their standards for this class were indefensible," you will certainly try to imply it and juries will get there to some extent on their own. The plaintiffs have an incentive to argue on PADI's behalf and call witnesses from PADI, because it maximizes their chances of screwing over the remaining defendant and getting more money, but PADI clearly didn't feel like that was enough. Hence the attempt to remain in the case as a defendant (at least for a while...they couldn't stay in up until the jury is seated, because based on what I read in the sanctions opinion before that is when you have to declare you've settled out).

Thank you!

That may still be found in this case, but without PADI being a defendant when it happens, PADI can claim it wasn't present to contest that finding and therefore the question has to be litigated yet again in whatever other/later case(s) it comes up in.

Is there anyplace in law where logic comes into play? In this situation, for example, it's clearly impossible for one instructor to maintain safety for two people in different locations, which seems to make the standard "defective by design". Barring the ability to teleport, someone was going to be left unattended in an emergency.

Does it matter if PADI wasn't present to contest the finding, if the finding is clearly incontestable? Or is this just more maneuvering, that is effective even if not logical or right?

flots.

Is there anyplace in law where logic comes into play? In this situation, for example, it's clearly impossible for one instructor to maintain safety for two people in different locations, which seems to make the standard "defective by design". Barring the ability to teleport, someone was going to be left unattended in an emergency.

Does it matter if PADI wasn't present to contest the finding, if the finding is clearly incontestable? Or is this just more maneuvering, that is effective even if not logical or right?

flots.

Yeah, it does matter: it's unfair (or if you like a fancier approach, arguably a violation of due process rights) to burden someone with a "fact" they didn't have a chance (or sufficient incentive) to argue about when it was established. If it's so "incontestable" you aren't asking much for someone to argue it, and let PADI argue back, in the later case rather than taking it as a given for the rest of time. Whether it's really incontestable is a separate question from whether it's fair to use findings from one case against someone in other cases, though.

On the merits of the standard, though, I don't see it being as clear as you say. For example, if you have to ascend to chase one student you could comply with the standards by bringing the rest with you.

On the merits of the standard, though, I don't see it being as clear as you say. For example, if you have to ascend to chase one student you could comply with the standards by bringing the rest with you.

It takes time to round up the other student and communicate what you want and then surface at their speed, not yours, all the while the other student could be drowning or embolizing, however yeah, I can see where they would want to get a chance to argue that.

Thanks again.

Meh. Read the opinion and you'll see the judge doesn't disagree with their assertion that the client has valid interests that were served by what they did, they just took it a step too far when they filed the amended complaint - and to be fair, the amendments were in large part to remove allegations against PADI that the settlement had settled. It was sloppy litigation strategy that caused a opposing party some minor additional costs they shouldn't have had to incur, but as the opinion and the meager dollar figure of the sanctions suggest, it wasn't ragingly unethical...from a legal perspective.

From a business ethics perspective...let's just say PADI did a fine job of making lawyers look like upstanding ethicists. You literally could not pay me enough to teach these kinds of classes, but getting knifed in the back by your certifying agency is the kind of thing that's been known to provoke...let's call it less than legal retaliatory behavior by aggrieved individuals. And when you hear about it happening, you think 'well, they sorta had it coming.'

---------- Post added November 12th, 2014 at 05:37 PM ----------

Please don't make me laugh that hard.

---------- Post added November 12th, 2014 at 05:42 PM ----------

Of course, having turned over the document without even receiving a discovery request covering it (maybe they'll claim it was part of their initial disclosures obligation under the Fed R Civ P) makes it very hard to assert privilege/work product protections at all...which is what you have to do to raise the question of whether it's protected and get the court to rule on it. The TDI letter is grossly self-serving, but he's 100% right that turning over documents submitted to you by your instructor after an accident, for which you have a meritorious claim of privilege, is sleazy.

At this point, if I were a PADI-affiliated professional of any stripe, about the only thing that would make me trust PADI again is a public statement explaining who decided to play this matter in this way, that all involved in those decisions have been terminated, and that PADI will be indemnifying the affected instructor.

Just wanted to add a few comments- remember litigation at this level is a very complex matter. The law and rules are as much a component of strategy as the facts are.

A- Some jurisdictions (many state and most federal courts- FRCP Rule 14 material) have an open/automatic file discovery rule that requires ANY materials that are relevant and in control of the opposing party MUST be turned over- PERIOD. Now in some cases It MAY be turned over with a protective order but- almost always will become evidence at some point and therefore publicly disclosed. This type of record would clearly meet the relevancy and materiality component of any discovery obligation in such a law suit. So I don't see TDI or the online crowd getting this right.

B- The court sanctioned the TIME wasted by party for the misleading pleading. They did not sanction the conduct in a punitive way- ie the court did not find the conduct grossly unethical or prejudicial. Again seems many in the peanut gallery don't see the difference. In a multimillion dollar lawsuit a 2000 dollar sanction isn't sending a message - it was a stratagem call.

C- PADI has reduced its future liability by analyzing the actuarial cost of litigation, potential verdict, and collateral use of a negative verdict against a lump sum payout and future potential cross claim award. This is simply business math -every litigator helps their client engage in this analysis when discussing settling a case. It seems cold but it's a necessity in operating a business. Where I think it becomes screwy is the relationship of instructors, agency, and insurance carrier. I see a world of conflicts there that really are a separate discussion. There needs to be a better defined bright line.

D- the only questions left here I see are: whether cross claims can still be brought/awarded, whether there is still joint-several liability in post verdict indemnity, and what the PR implications may be given the dynamic of Boy Scouts and Instructors in these circumstances. I would imagine the settlement would entitle the other defendants to move to amend and file cross claims. BUT also see a judge denying as there was never a joint defense and therefore the potential cross claims existed at the inception of the case- and the failure to file them at the outset is a waiver. Could go either way. Depends on the circuits case law and I don't know where they fall.

One can guess the jurisdiction may not permit cross claims at this point or joint-several liability claims - which if it is true would be why they effected the settlement individually rather than globally in which case PADI is in the clear economically. One has to guess the litigation costs alone would be 250k or more without a verdict. However if there is a surviving cross claim or a joint-several liability component then PADI's decision seems less wise. Knowing what is in the public domain - If I were advising PADI I probably would have looked at a global resolution to make it cleaner- but again we are not privileged to all the inside baseball and facts from depositions etc.

On first blush - it appears - the instructor is in the wrong and liability rests with him. Leaving two students to chase a third is not "maintaining control of all DSD participants at all times". I have also thought - and said- a 2:1 ratio is the better DSD ratio without a certified assistant and 4:1 with an assistant should be the maximum.

But, It also violates the Boy Scout policy of no single adult alone with a single youth. So on both PADI and BSA policy grounds the instructor is in the wrong. This may have been the driving factor in PADIs settlement and the family's acceptance of it.

Given that- I think TDI got it wrong in sending out the letter. It could come back to bite them when they are in a lawsuit. Hypocrisy does not play well with a jury. And if counsel cleared it they need new counsel.

Just my 2 cents.

It takes time to round up the other student and communicate what you want ....
No it doesn't, not if you are following standards which say that you should be close enough to grab them immediately. That is the point.

No it doesn't, not if you are following standards which say that you should be close enough to grab them immediately. That is the point.

OK, so Billy bolts for the surface. You grab Sam. Now what?

Do you just drag him up and potentially have a fight or scare the crap out of him (either one will make things a lot slower and potentially cause a second panic at the surface), or inflate his BC and send him rocketing up to his death? You can't pretend that someone who has never been on SCUBA before will have any idea what's going on or how to handle it.

Remember every second you're screwing around with Sam, Billy is closer to death.

If you force the issue and physically drag Sam to the surface, he could easily be a second fatality.

Anything more than 1:1 is a crap-shoot.

flots.

OK, so Billy bolts for the surface. You grab Sam. Now what?

Do you just drag him up and potentially have a fight or scare the crap out of him (either one will make things a lot slower and potentially cause a second panic at the surface), or inflate his BC and send him rocketing up to his death? You can't pretend that someone who has never been on SCUBA before will have any idea what's going on or how to handle it.

Remember every second you're screwing around with Sam, Billy is closer to death.

If you force the issue and physically drag Sam to the surface, he could easily be a second fatality.

Anything more than 1:1 is a crap-shoot.

flots.

Billy should never be able to bolt... Because he's in your grab area IF you are following standards.

There are a LOT of folks here that have never taught a DSD in real life in a resort situation. But we've established that fact in the first few pages.

Billy should never be able to bolt... Because he's in your grab area IF you are following standards.

Then you're a better man than I am.

I can only give 100% attention to one thing. Even if I split my attention up evenly, that means that 50% of the time I'm not watching one of the participants.

However since I think the standards contain a huge logical fallacy: that any single human can give 100% attention to more than one thing. I never do more than 1:1 for "Try SCUBA" and only do it in the shallow end of the pool, never anything in OW for anybody who hasn't already been though the OW class, so this really isn't a personal problem.

I just find it fascinating how anybody could read the standards and not give it a head-tilt and say "Huh? How does that work???"

flots.

Which violates present-day common sense and basic Boy Scout leadership training, which prohibits one-on-one contact between adults and minors. So the Instructor either has to have a certified assistant, or two DSD participants.

or as in this case another diver who was an adult. The person who bolted, as I recall, was an adult and therefore the BSA standards were being met. Two adults and two scouts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom