Parallel Importer vs Authorized Dealer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. require service at regular intervals, it can't be because they are bad to require it?

High performance vehicles offer additional performance as a tradeoff for more maintenance. Luxury vehicles are the same. You are getting "more", but there is either less safety margin built in (as in a high performance vehicle) or simply more things to break (as in a luxury vehicle).

The analogy does not hold for regulators. A Mk 25 does not offer higher performance as the expense of being less reliable (as a high performance car would). Or at least, I don't think ScubaPro would agree with a statement that it does. A high performance car uses a higher compression ratio in the engine, and lighter materials and components in places, all of which serves to reduce its ability to last, say, 200,000 miles without a major overhaul, like might be expected of a "lower performance" car. I don't believe a Mk 25 has any such tradeoffs.

So, requiring a Mk 25 to be serviced after 100 dives or 2 years, even it has only done 10 dives, been properly cared for, and is exhibiting no signs of needing service does seem to me to qualify as "unnecessary".

A car can be required to have fluids changed, even if has been parked, simply because those fluids will gradually go bad even if they are just sitting. Water condenses in the crankcase and then gets into the oil. Gas sublimates and leaves a varnish. Compounds in the coolant gradually break down. Cars have valid reasons for a time-based service interval.

O-rings in a regulator will eventually go bad, even if they are just sitting - but not in 2 or 3 years (assuming they were properly installed and cared for). In other words, regulators don't have reasons (like cars do) for requiring a time-based service interval. At least, not a 2 year interval. In my non-reg tech opinion, anyway.

My car warranty is not automatically cancelled if I do not have the dealer perform the recommended services. But, if a warranty claim is for a failure of a part that is determined to have been caused by my failure to perform necessary service, then the claim may not be honored. So, If I go 20,000 miles without an oil change and destroy an engine bearing, it will probably be on me. But if I have a reciept for an oil change from any provider or even a reciept for oil and a filter for a DIY change, I will be good to go. And, if the failure is unrelated to maintaining engine oil, it is covered, regardless.

That is not like most regulator warranties which are really designd to provide an income srteam to local authorized dealers.

You are not allowed to require a dealer service on an item to keep the warranty intact unless the service is free. Scubapro is working the edges of this.

There's a third option. When scubapro changes their products (frequently, almost every year), authorized dealers are allowed to sell the "last year's" model at a substantial discount. I'm pretty sure I paid around $400 for my first mk25/s600 from a legitimate scubapro dealer, and I got a mk2/r295 from a local scubapro authorized dealer for $175 in a similar "last year's" deal.

All of which were formerly covered by the free parts for life program until the local scubpro dealer decided that they only honored parts for life for folks that had bought an entire scubapro scuba kit from them (I assume bcd+wetsuit+regulator+fins, but I don't really know for sure).

Also, although scubapro does have a price fixing scheme in place, they allow their dealers to offer a 10% discount at their discretion. I understand the dealer isn't allowed to advertise that, though. You should at most expect to pay 90% of msrp. If you're being asked to pay more, find another dealer - scubapro shops are a dime a dozen.

Personally, I would not consider paying "full" price for anything from scubapro under any circumstances.

If one is not concerned about a warranty he may as well buy used and realize real savings. I'm reasonably sure a set the OP is interested in can be pieced together right here on SB.

BTW I haven't bought a new car since 1979.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom