Parallel Importer vs Authorized Dealer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It costs me about $100 to have a 1st and 2 x 2nd stages serviced at either of my LDSs. And from things I've read here, it sounds like I'm actually getting a pretty good deal.

Scubapro requires service every 2 years (or 100 dives) to maintain the warranty.

So, the OP could pay an extra $200+ up front and then $100 every 2 years, whether the regs need it or not, in order to have a warranty.

Is there anything likely to go wrong with a SP reg that wouldn't be fixed by doing a normal service anyway? If that's true, then aren't you basically just paying in advance every 2 years to fix any problems that simply haven't manifested yet? So, what is the real value of the warranty to the customer?

It costs me about $100 to have a 1st and 2 x 2nd stages serviced at either of my LDSs. And from things I've read here, it sounds like I'm actually getting a pretty good deal.

Scubapro requires service every 2 years (or 100 dives) to maintain the warranty.

So, the OP could pay an extra $200+ up front and then $100 every 2 years, whether the regs need it or not, in order to have a warranty.

Is there anything likely to go wrong with a SP reg that wouldn't be fixed by doing a normal service anyway? If that's true, then aren't you basically just paying in advance every 2 years to fix any problems that simply haven't manifested yet? So, what is the real value of the warranty to the customer?

Come on, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. require service at regular intervals, it can't be because they are bad to require it?

What is the "unnecessary service"? So when one serves you and takes care of you as a customer, it is always unnecessary?

I think the reference is reg service not customer service unless of course you get a cup of tea, cake and a chat about life while your regs are being serviced. Of course I may have well misunderstood your post, in which case I apologize.

Come on, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. require service at regular intervals, it can't be because they are bad to require it?
Apples and oranges. The complexity and sheer number of parts in an automobile is significantly higher than in a scuba regulator.

Saw on their website that the ScubaPro warranty is now only one year for manufacturing defects. Makes the benefit of paying for their warranty even less obvious now.

I've been offered Mk 17 Evo S600 R195 and a generic 52mm SPG by both a parallel importer and an authorized dealer for approx USD645 and USD860 respectively.

As I understand it, SCUBAPRO warranty is only valid when purchased through an authorized dealer, correct me if I'm wrong.

The cost savings are pretty substantial - would anyone rather fork out the money and buy it from the authorized dealer?

What type of warranty is the importer offering? It won't be through ScubaPro, but there should be some protection in the event you get a lemon...it does happen. 90 day full replacement would be enough for me.

If you pay to have it serviced in two years, I doubt anybody will care where you got it. They will charge labor and service kits. Is there a slight risk with regards to warranty support beyond what the importer offers? Yes...but I think I would take it for a $215 savings.

Saw on their website that the ScubaPro warranty is now only one year for manufacturing defects. Makes the benefit of paying for their warranty even less obvious now.

You need to read the full statement...

SCUBAPRO warrants to the original consumer purchaser that, for the period of one year from date of purchase, each SCUBAPRO product component not otherwise warranted...

Scubapro regulators still have a lifetime warranty to the original owner. Covers materials and manufacturing defects...except for o-rings, seats, filter, mouthpiece and LP Hose. You do have to have service performed by authorized Scubapro dealer to keep the warranty active.

That is what I was thinking. I can bring it back to him within a year for manufacturing defects, essentially an in-house warranty. Anything else likely to fail would be sorted out during a service, wouldn't it?

What type of warranty is the importer offering? It won't be through ScubaPro, but there should be some protection in the event you get a lemon...it does happen. 90 day full replacement would be enough for me.

If you pay to have it serviced in two years, I doubt anybody will care where you got it. They will charge labor and service kits. Is there a slight risk with regards to warranty support beyond what the importer offers? Yes...but I think I would take it for a $215 savings.

Yes I believe he offers a one year in-house warranty. He supports all products he sells.

You need to read the full statement...

SCUBAPRO warrants to the original consumer purchaser that, for the period of one year from date of purchase, each SCUBAPRO product component not otherwise warranted...

Scubapro regulators still have a lifetime warranty to the original owner. Covers materials and manufacturing defects...except for o-rings, seats, filter, mouthpiece and LP Hose. You do have to have service performed by authorized Scubapro dealer to keep the warranty active.

Where does it state the lifetime warranty for defects? I can't find it on the website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom