Parallel Importer vs Authorized Dealer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MARK1992

Registered
Reaction score
I've been offered Mk 17 Evo S600 R195 and a generic 52mm SPG by both a parallel importer and an authorized dealer for approx USD645 and USD860 respectively.

As I understand it, SCUBAPRO warranty is only valid when purchased through an authorized dealer, correct me if I'm wrong.

The cost savings are pretty substantial - would anyone rather fork out the money and buy it from the authorized dealer?

I crossed that bridge 20 years ago with my savings closer to 50%, but mfgrs have been successful in curtailing most of them. Check to see what warranty your grey market dealer provides.

The authorized dealer will cost you more initially and still more as you pay for unnecessary service to maintain that warranty.

If you look closely, you will see that most of the authortized dealer cheerleaders are associated with one so it is self-serving.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look closely, you will see that most of the authortized dealer cheerleaders are associated with one so it is self-serving.

Like who? I challenge you to point one out!

The authorized dealer will cost you more initially and still more as you pay for unnecessary service to maintain that warranty.

What is the "unnecessary service"? So when one serves you and takes care of you as a customer, it is always unnecessary?

What is the "unnecessary service"? So when one serves you and takes care of you as a customer, it is always unnecessary?

If there is a very reasonable expectation that a reg set would continue to work just fine for another year, then a service "now" would be considered unnecessary by many people. I think ScubaPro regs are generally high quality and it would be extremely reasonable to expect them to work just fine without any service for well beyond 2 years for most normal recreational divers. Do you disagree?

If there is a very reasonable expectation that a reg set would continue to work just fine for another year, then a service "now" would be considered unnecessary by many people. I think ScubaPro regs are generally high quality and it would be extremely reasonable to expect them to work just fine without any service for well beyond 2 years for most normal recreational divers. Do you disagree?

Yes, for a very long time but at the same time the longer you go between overhauling it, the higher the probability something will go wrong unexpectedly. The other factor is how well people treat and take care of their equipment, not all are the same and most don't take care of it properly.

I personally would have my regulators serviced every two years if I were living back home in the US. I don't now living in Libya because there are no dealers or service technicians who can do it here and I'll have to send it overseas to do it which costs about double factoring in the shipping the complexities of customs and importation/exportation formalities and fees. I do it now 3 - 5 years. I buy the best and most reliable equipment that I know and can afford to make sure I get better reliability. Again, if I were back in the US, I'd do it every two years (or close to it). The average recreational divers owns 2 - 3 regulators at most (per person) and it wouldn't make a big deal if they spent around $120 for servicing their regulator every 2 - 3 years. People, most people, spend that much on a meal they would digest and evacuate later (much more if they drink alcohol) so I have no problem with the service as long as it is done by a conscientious technician who has the skills, tools and frame of mind to do a good job servicing the equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom