Parallel Importer vs Authorized Dealer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been offered Mk 17 Evo S600 R195 and a generic 52mm SPG by both a parallel importer and an authorized dealer for approx USD645 and USD860 respectively.

As I understand it, SCUBAPRO warranty is only valid when purchased through an authorized dealer, correct me if I'm wrong.

The cost savings are pretty substantial - would anyone rather fork out the money and buy it from the authorized dealer?
Grey market stuff is okay as long as you have not swallowed the koolaid. Warantees are only (buyer) useful for crap gear.

Think of grey market as buying brand new used gear. You may (should?) get a sellers money back guarantee that what you got is what they where selling. No warrantee.

Come to think of it, this seems way better than most LDS deals...

Grey market stuff is okay as long as you have not swallowed the koolaid. Warantees are only (buyer) useful for crap gear.

Think of grey market as buying brand new used gear. You may (should?) get a sellers money back guarantee that what you got is what they where selling. No warrantee.

Good way of putting it.

Seems like the general consensus is comfortable with a grey market import. Even better that this guy will service what he's sold.

And the regulator not on the freeway. Repeatedly.
And the Mercedes not stuffed into a bag and bounced around the trunk, the boat, the sandy beach.
Imagine your mechanics face if you brought in a car with bite marks.
But most of all, if the Mercedes stops working, you are stuck somewhere you can breathe. Unless the brakes fail on a hairpin turn on Skyline Drive, which has happened to me.
Sheesh, why argue? Just get them both serviced!

Last edited:
Yes, for a very long time but at the same time the longer you go between overhauling it, the higher the probability something will go wrong unexpectedly. The other factor is how well people treat and take care of their equipment, not all are the same and most don't take care of it properly.

I personally would have my regulators serviced every two years if I were living back home in the US. I don't now living in Libya because there are no dealers or service technicians who can do it here and I'll have to send it overseas to do it which costs about double factoring in the shipping the complexities of customs and importation/exportation formalities and fees. I do it now 3 - 5 years. I buy the best and most reliable equipment that I know and can afford to make sure I get better reliability. Again, if I were back in the US, I'd do it every two years (or close to it). The average recreational divers owns 2 - 3 regulators at most (per person) and it wouldn't make a big deal if they spent around $120 for servicing their regulator every 2 - 3 years. People, most people, spend that much on a meal they would digest and evacuate later (much more if they drink alcohol) so I have no problem with the service as long as it is done by a conscientious technician who has the skills, tools and frame of mind to do a good job servicing the equipment.
The probability of a reg failing on your next dive is much higher if you just got it serviced. Warrantee? I try not to buy brands that might need that.

Where does it state the lifetime warranty for defects? I can't find it on the website.
Go to the regulators page and on any regulator model go to the detail page. Open the Regulator User Manual. Top of Page 5.

One example of a Scubapro product where Gray Market may have been a poor choice...Hydros Pro. The initial run had some manufacturing issues...easily resolved under warranty. So maybe don't go Gray Market on newly introduced items...the regs you are looking at are fine.

Leisure Pro offers ( or used to offer) their own warranty on items where they are not an authorized dealer. There is no warranty support from the manufacturer or the manufacturers dealer network.

Leisure Pro offers ( or used to offer) their own warranty on items where they are not an authorized dealer. There is no warranty support from the manufacturer or the manufacturers dealer network.

Actually, there is still a manufacturer's warranty but it is not directly available to the grey market customer. You don't think LP just ate mfgr defects? They could sent such items back to the authorized dealer or distributor that sold the items for warranty service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom