Warranty Horror Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
The warranty specifically excludes batteries. You can't blame LeisurePro or ScubaPro or anyone but yourself for not reading the warranty.
Actually the warranty contradicts itself. You can't make an offer to match a manufacturer's warranty and then start issuing exclusions.

[/QUOTE]The drama is not necessary. Perhaps you should have found out how much the battery replacements will cost before you bought the thing.

The only thing I see missing here is some intelligence and foresight on your part. You're trying to blame that on everyone else, but it's your failure because you did not do your homework.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a great conclusion but the law in this case was specifically created to protect consumers from deceptive practices. Why would you need to be concerned with doing any homework when someone says" I'll match the manufacturer's warranty" and the manufacturer says "free battery replacement for life". BTW, personally I did my homework and bought a Suunto.

And, just to hijack the thread for a spin, I never really liked the idea of "non-user replaceable batteries" anyway.

yknot:
I suggested this to my buddy. Apparently SP can tell from the serial # that the item doesn't deserve a warranty and maybe the European centers would give him the same hassle. Anyone else experienced this particular problem? Maybe a battery replacement and servicing at a European source is far less than $400.

Dollar to a donut that computer is a legitimate Scubapro product that came from a European distributor. So JWA got their cut but Scubapro USA got nothing from the deal and somewhat understandably will not bare the cost of warrenty service. The fact that they are trying to stick it to you notwithstanding. Had you made the purchase from an authorized dealer in Germany rather than LP you would get the same crappy treatment - no an authorized (USA) dealer.

awap:
Dollar to a donut that computer is a legitimate Scubapro product that came from a European distributor. So JWA got their cut but Scubapro USA got nothing from the deal and somewhat understandably will not bare the cost of warrenty service. The fact that they are trying to stick it to you notwithstanding. Had you made the purchase from an authorized dealer in Germany rather than LP you would get the same crappy treatment - no an authorized (USA) dealer.
This kind of information is precisely what I most value about this board. Part of what insults me about the whole arguement stems from some people's quickness to condemn internet sales, the "support your LDS at any cost" side. Do they think that practices like SP's are good for the industry? Do you, as a US consumer, have warm regards for SP for limiting choices for where and how you buy gear, knowing that they don't do this to their European customers?

Only problem with all this warranty stuff is that you really need to check the state in which you live. even if that warranty is stated not to be vaild if purchased from a non authorized dealer it may be incorrect. Some states will enforce a warranty as stated no matter where you buy your product. And you may have rights you do not know about.

In the long run for the least amount of hasel find a authorized dealer and go from there. Haggel your price as most are open to working with you.

Have to agree, $400.00 for a battery is BS, that's the reason I did not buy the Uwatec.

Manufacturers put all their warranty information in writing as well as what they exclude. Leisure Pro does the same. Before buying a high price item - even if it is discounted at some internet store. I think we would be advised to find out what those excluded items (ie. uwatek batteries or anything else) would cost out of pocket to replace and then make an informed decision on whether the discounted price is still worth it. I purchased one computer that didn't have user replaceable batteries - a Dacor Micro-brain back in 1989, it's still working but I only use it as a back up for my oceanic datamax pro plus 2. I would never buy a non-user replacable battery computer again. Just my 2 cents.
Montyb

This is just another case of someone letting ScubaPro/Uwatec get away with their bs warranty statements. I've read many posts about this complaint and have yet to read or hear anything about someone really pushing the issue.

Tell your friend to take it to their Lawyer. SP needs to be straightened out. Their warranty does state you must by from an authorized dealer, however, their warranty does not state who those dealers are. Plain and simple of it, it's a bogus way to get away with not honoring the warranty and they are hoping nobody will stand up for themselves.

As for the LP warranty, I've also seen a lot of posts about LP. They seem to stick to their warranty pretty well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom