Paragraph Eleven. Confirm? (Scapa Flow Report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversinc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Almost one year in the planning and over in the blink of an eye. Well that's my assessment of Scapa anyhow. Finished for the moment but maybe not entirely the end.

Obviously, I can only speak for myself; but I consider it to have been an exceptional experience despite some minor obstacles which arguably impacted on the trip as a whole. I won't labour these too much, and feel it suffice to comment on the living conditions aboard the Sharon Rose. I wouldn't consider that vessel in any category habitable or fit to be used as a live-aboard, as I'm sure the rest of you would agree. It was just filthy and lacking in basic facilities. However, resourceful as we are, alternative accommodation was sought and secured, (and not without some invaluable assistance from Gavin). Fortunately the rates were extremely reasonable, so if you're ever in Stromness and looking for accommodation checkout the Orca Hotel.

Nevertheless, the crew were welcoming, and Kevin the skipper never let us down at finding the dive sites. I think that's worth highlighting as I'm aware a snorkel club from Greater Glasgow had difficulty finding a wreck on not less than two attempts. (Meow!)

Thankfully, despite Joe W's ear injury; we all came back safe and well. I think this is worth reflecting on, since we're probably all aware that a diver from another group suffered an embolism at the same time we were in Scapa, and tragically a 52 year old school teacher lost her life there last Monday (25.10.08). I'm sure all our condolences are with her family. Diving is a great and exhilarating sport, but it does frequently highlight just how fragile a species we are.

In total 10 dives were made: Two of the SMS Bummer; 2 of the SMS Karlsruhe II; SMS Dresden II; SMS Colin; SMS Sidletz, SMS Kronprinz Wilhelm; F2 and YC21 Barge; and the Tabarka block ship in Burra Sound.

There isn't much point in me describing these or presenting their histories as these vessels are well documented on many excellent and informative sites which I've no doubt you'll access if you require.

Scapa itself is beautiful. It's the second largest natural harbour in the world after Sydney. When you consider its sheer size, you can easily form an impression of the German High Seas Fleet contained there, whilst surrounded by vessels from both the British and American Navy. It must surely have been a memorable and magnificent sight.

Stromness is a very typical maritime town, proud of its heritage. Having been in Orkney for the first time, I had to remind myself that this was indeed part of the UK. Narrow flagstone streets free of graffiti, heavy traffic and chewing gum. What a truly refreshing place it is. Yet the magnitude of its strategic significance during both world wars is not something I fully appreciated and a trip to the Naval Museum in Lyness comprehensively underlined that fact.

So that's it really. Would I recommend Scapa? You betcha! Would I go again? Try and stop me, (although if I'm honest, this will require some delicate negotiation with my wife first).

All that remains for me to say is that I had a fantastic time and a lot of great laughs, often provided by Ricky's shot-line explorations; Vic's great wit and wicked humour; Camay's masquerading as an East European crime lord; Jim Mac's attempts to submerge whilst taking the Sharon Rose with him; Jim Gribben's rendition of 'Diving Without Wings'; Gavin's pleas of 'throw me a rope!'; Brian's navigating, (I'll deny everything); Momo's denials of torture and refutes of ever having peeled an eyeball; Roger the Cabin Boy and lots more which I better not mention if I wish to keep some friends at least!

So all the best guys and despite the minor setbacks let's be thankful we weren?' the Allander Snorkelling Association!

Oh that reminds me: Paragraph Eleven, Confirm? That was the coded command used to order the scuttling of the fleet.

Checkout the video:

DiversInc - Videos

Scapa is one of my favorite sites - though the liveaboards are basic _ which is fine by me, I go there to dive and catch up with friends - it's still worth booking on one of the liveaboards as they are bigger and more stable - even if you do want to stay ashore it's worth paying for the more stable dive platform.
Tabarka is simply FAB, and there is way more than diving in Orkney, so worth having a car to explore, at this time of year it's light till 11 ish ( or more scarily light from 3am on the way home.....)
I'm accross there tomorrow, cos I finish work at lunchtime :)))) - on the evening ferry, couple of dives in Scapa, then accross to Shetland!! :)

Scapa is one of my favorite sites - though the liveaboards are basic _ which is fine by me, I go there to dive and catch up with friends - it's still worth booking on one of the liveaboards as they are bigger and more stable - even if you do want to stay ashore it's worth paying for the more stable dive platform.
Tabarka is simply FAB, and there is way more than diving in Orkney, so worth having a car to explore, at this time of year it's light till 11 ish ( or more scarily light from 3am on the way home.....)
I'm accross there tomorrow, cos I finish work at lunchtime :)))) - on the evening ferry, couple of dives in Scapa, then accross to Shetland!! :)

Yeah, some of the other liveaboards were excellent, we went on a few and realised we'd been misled. A few of our guys are returning in September. I'd lke to go back but it was a 9 day around trip the last time and I can't spare that time from work.

Enjoy your dives and watch out for that big bull seal on the Tabarka. Apparently this is the mating season and he has been known to mistake the odd diver or 10 for a potential partner. :eyebrow:

DiversInc - Home

We had a fantastic time, though we dived with the local club and on the Kirkwall side rather than the Flow -then headed north for a few days diving/catching up with friends plus some really good kayaking - back at work yesterday - I can see Orkney from the kitchen window, so it's not far from home
if time's an issue, get the Northlink boat from Aberdeen on Saturday 5pm to Kirkwall - it gets in a midnight, but Sunday's a slow start day anyway usually. The return one goes at midnight on Friday night gets in 7am Saturday - so you'll be home before lunch - 6 days diving and away only 7 days :)

I enjoyed the video of Scapa flow very very much. That type of diving seems to mirror what we do here in New England. My question is, what language was in the backround music in the video, as I found myself strangely attracted to it.
Many thanks, Rich

I enjoyed the video of Scapa flow very very much. That type of diving seems to mirror what we do here in New England. My question is, what language was in the backround music in the video, as I found myself strangely attracted to it.
Many thanks, Rich

German.

I think the music was by Rammstein, but I could be wrong. Industrial heavy metal is not what I would choose to listen to, but it seemed appropriate for the subject matter of the video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom