Trip Report: Turks & Caicos Explorer II, June-July 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing. We're booking on the T&C ExII for the Dec 26-Jan 2. This will be our first liveaboard experience, but dove West Caicos a few years ago. Looking forward to just dropping in and not having a 1 hr boat ride out to the sites.

I was on the T&C ExII for a week in November 2019.
This was only my fourth liveaboard trip, and was the first dive trip I ever made traveling by myself.

Overall, it was a fun relaxing adventure, and I came away feeling very good about Explore Ventures, the T&C Explorer II, and the captain and crew.
I also received some excellent advise and assistance from Caradonna Travel, who booked the trip and flights for me.
Some observations:
  • The reefs and corals seemed to be in excellent health to me, although I'm no expert. The water was consistently clear.
  • The divemasters were excellent guides. Like most of our group, I chose to follow along with the guides on all the dives. On every dive the guides pointed out things I certainly would have missed otherwise.
  • This was the first dive trip when I did not take an U/W camera. I really wanted to relax and have a broader experience of the whole environment on this trip. Glad I did
  • The boat swung a lot on the anchor, so finding the boat at the end of the dive could be a little confusing.
  • The food was very good. Dinner choices changed from one day to the next, with several dishes to choose from.
  • My cabin was kinda small compared to other liveaboards I've been on, but I used it just for sleeping, so it really didn't matter. Because I booked a shared cabin and was traveling alone I was assigned a roommate. Fortunately, he was a great guy. We became good friends, dive buddies for the week, and we shared a lot of laughs together during the trip.
  • The dive deck can get a little crowded. I gear-up very quickly, so I'd put my wetsuit on then wait until some of the divers moved toward the water. Then I'd slide in and put on my gear and go.
  • I like to travel light. I carried only the basic gear that I took in the water, which fit well in a medium sized duffel bag with backpack straps. I took a spare inflator which came in handy, but no tools or other spares, except for a back-up mask. There's plenty of tools and spares on the boat.
  • For clothing I took a pair swim trunks, a pair of convertable pants (zip-off legs) for the plane, a pair of elastic waist shorts for the boat, and two t-shirts which I rinsed out and dried in our cabin sink. That's all I needed. They took our shoes away the minute we stepped aboard.
Would I do this trip again?
Yes, it was a great trip, but there are a lot of other places I want to dive.

K.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom