Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Booked with Kyalami again for the Saturday 2:00pm departure from PB and then the Sunday 10:00am departure from Jupiter.

Taking my scooter to run cloverleaf patterns from the guide so I can see more terrain. Debating whether to take my own float since my DSMB will just fill up with water (although I’ll still have my DSMB and dedicated spool on me).

First dive without my Shearwater in five years…buttons gave way and it’s now with DIVE-Tronix for repair.

Booked with Kyalami again for the Saturday 2:00pm departure from PB and then the Sunday 10:00am departure from Jupiter.

Taking my scooter to run cloverleaf patterns from the guide so I can see more terrain. Debating whether to take my own float since my DSMB will just fill up with water (although I’ll still have my DSMB and dedicated spool on me).

First dive without my Shearwater in five years…buttons gave way and it’s now with DIVE-Tronix for repair.
Do the dive boats ask for a DPV certification when you show up with one?

I don’t know. I have all my cert cards in my smart book so no drama if they do.

Looks like a nice weekend, let us know how your dives go

Went to the bridge for diving on Wednesday. Swimming was prohibited so I headed over to Singer Island and did a dive on the mitigation reef. ...

Would you mind posting the location of the mitigation reef you dove?

Debating whether to take my own float
Scooters are just like cameras. It's not 'IF' it will leak,,, It's 'WHEN' will it leak and stop working. Most diver's on scooter just float them to the surface on an SMB and us boat drivers pick them up, just like fish floats.
PS. Please post up what you have for visibility since we are getting several different varying reports today.

@Pipehorse I'll have to check out the mitigation reef one of these days! Where do you park? How far is the walk in gear from your vehicle?
@PBcatfish

You've driven past the volleyball courts infront of Johnny Longboats in the sand. Parking can be zero on weekends and the lot behind is restricted to patrons. The beach infront of it is usually packed with guests so all the normal shore diving protocols/advice applies. This is a great spot when a lobster "walk" occurs but you can't boat dive it easily.

Mitigation-Reef-WPB.jpg

You've driven past the volleyball courts infront of Johnny Longboats in the sand. Parking can be zero on weekends and the lot behind is restricted to patrons. The beach infront of it is usually packed with guests so all the normal shore diving protocols/advice applies. This is a great spot when a lobster "walk" occurs but you can't boat dive it easily.

View attachment 855155
Thank you for the write up. There is a whole string of shallow reefs along the beaches north & south of there in waters from 5-25 feet. I didn't know which one was being indicated.

I'm curious why you say that you can't boat dive that spot easily. If you are talking about the large commercial cattle boats, I agree. I'm not sure that I would see an issue with a smaller private boat. Then again, you don't need a boat to get there. It's a pretty easy beach dive, so the question of boat access is almost moot.

Oops!

I’m rusty with my lexicon.

I probably should’ve written “flag” or “buoy” instead of float. My torpedo buoy is what carries my dive flag when I do shore dives with/without a DPV.

On the second topic, if my DPV were to die, I’d just toss it between my legs and behind me and carry on with my remaining gas and time available (past experience). I’d be kinda leery about giving up positive control of a DPV. Now, if it were to completely flood and become negatively buoyant, that’s a different story.

I’ll be sure to report back on viz.

Viz was limited today despite a healthy Northbound current. Divers faded from view at 10m. Not sure what the suspended matter in the water was but it was like a mild whiteout.

Did Wreck Trek, starting with M/V Ana Cecilia. Each wreck along the trek was guarded by two Goliath Grunters, I mean Groupers. They must’ve been pretty annoyed with all the morning divers. It was like artillery fire going off where you feel it in your chest more than you hear it.

One lowly nurse shark had to represent all the sharks that were either at a convention or taking the day off to play pickle ball.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom