Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On Sunday, I went on the Pura Vida shallow boat for both AM and PM.

The AM trip was a cleanup dive. We were handed bags and shears.
Dive 1 was Teardrop. It was nice not to find a lot of trash. I brought my zookeeper to store trash, rather than the bag. I tend to not stick with the group and go either faster or slower, depending on what I'm doing. In this case, the group was ahead of me because I stopped to pick up some fishing line. I drifted back into the group and there were several people taking photos under a ledge. After they moved on, I swooped in with my flashlight to see what they were looking at and saw a lionfish. I hit the lionfish, but it wasn't a good hold. It got off and swam behind a big rock. The rock was too perfectly shaped, so I backed up a little and realize it was a sleeping turtle. With no plans to try and get the lionfish, I backed off. Just as I was about to leave, the lionfish pops out the other side of the turtle, exposing itself outside the ledge, so I nailed it. There was a break in the ledge with a 7-8ft wide sandy bottom. I decided to follow each ledge to look for trash and lionfish. At one point I look up and a nice size lemon shark is swimming by. I ended up collecting a bunch of fishing line throughout the dive. I saw a couple of eels and shot another small lionfish. Visibility was maybe 40ft.

Dive 2 was Flower Garden. There were moray eels all over the place. I'm not a big fan of being near moray eels, so I kept my distance. I found 5 or 6ft of rope, a plastic zip tie, more fishing line, and a small piece of board. I shot a small lionfish. Visibility dropped to 30ft. Mid dive, there was a drop in water temperature, and you could see the shimmering. There was a thermocline at 30ft. At the surface were two other divers from Sandy's Sunday. We talked about our dives and mentioned I was doing clean up. They had a glass bottle which they were happy to hand over because they didn't have something to hold it in. Kyalami 2 was also in the area picking up divers. We were all intermingled and the captains communicated with each other to untangle the mess of divers. As I handed my DSMB and reel up, the deckhand triggered the release of my line and dropped my reel. It was floating right in front of me but was inches out of my reach. It was hardly negative and pulling on the line would bring it closer to me. I was able to grab it. The deckhand wasn't happy that I did this, but I wasn't on the ladder, and it was right there. I can see where things could go wrong through, say a wave comes and slams the boat on my head, so I get it.

The PM trip was just standard diving.
Dive 1 was Bath and Tennis. The dive started off chilly and warmed up at some point. Visibility was still low, and the current was getting stronger than the AM dives. There was a turtle swimming by and saw several moray eels. I was trying to get under the holes with my flashlight to find lionfish. I saw 3 small lionfish and was only able to land 1. The other two didn't give me opportunity at a clean shot. Visibility was still around 30-35ft. Seas were 2ft and starting to pick up a little.

Dive 2 was Fishbowl. I shot another small lionfish. Saw some more eels. I drifted for a while and eventually hit the trenches. I saw a couple lobsters, not enough to make it worth a trip. The current was all over the place. Sometimes ripping, then slacking, and then ripping again. Visibility was 30ft. On the surface, I was experiencing 3ft seas as I was trying to get on the ladder. I was exhausted and it made it that much more challenging to get up the ladder.

...Visibility dropped to 30ft.
About the middle of June they were releasing Lk Okee to prep for Hurricane season. But they stopped doing releases a week ago. Today they opened 1 gate at only a 6 inch crack to clean it when it's a 9 foot tall gate.. This cruddy water is from the gulf side loop currents and the divers over in Ft. Myers said it's still crap. Unless we get a strong east wind to blow in in some colder blue water, it's gonna take a week or more to clean up the viz. We'll get some light east winds for mini-season Weds & Thurs, but I'm putting my 7mm chewing gum wetsuit in the V-berth just incase we get a 62 degree upwhelling. I hope it just sits dry there and is a complete waste of time. I'm expecting 3-4 footers for both days with gusts at 15mph. Definitely diveable and we'll see if we can find bugs.

I'm curious what source you're all using for forecasting the conditions - i've been looking at surfline for shore dives and that seems good, but not sure what's best to check for jupiter and palm beach boats

...i've been looking at surfline for shore dives and that seems good, but not sure what's best to check for jupiter and palm beach boats
Was some discussion earlier this week on the Jupiter thread. Here is a link to my forecasting tips,,,,but I've been burned before like everyone else here.

Was some discussion earlier this week on the Jupiter thread. Here is a link to my forecasting tips,,,,but I've been burned before like everyone else here.

All of us gather data from various sources plus web cams ... and we all still get burned sometimes. I've been out with a 3-4' forecast and we got to endure 4-6' with occasional 7s. I've also seen boats cancel because of projected 4-5' that ended up being more like 2s. So we watch, monitor, gather data, make an educated guess from our experience watching SE FL weather, and still always remember that the weather is gonna do what it's gonna do.

I enjoyed four dives on Saturday with Kyalami departing out of the Riviera Beach Marina.

We did:

Las Patas
Breakers
Corridor
Drifting Spot

Good dose of reef sharks, turtles and GGs.

Most noteworthy were three things.

First, a really mature GG had a big tail fin sticking out of its mouth and that was certainly intriguing. I’ll try to post a screen shot in the next few days. It’ll probably be unimpressive on your computer monitor or phone but it was definitely impressive when I filmed it up close.

Second, the reef topography had much more defined and interesting contours (extended spurs, draws and sharp banks) compared to Jupiter. While Jupiter almost always promises big sealife, the reef (that I’ve seen) is a bit mundane. WPB has much more interesting terrain.

Lastly, the health of the reef with purple fan coral, reef plants and large number of schools of fish were also impressive.

Luke (skipper), Mike, Sydney and Sarah are a great crew. Luke’s safety briefs and Mike and Sydney’s dive briefs were crisply-delivered and complete. Luke and the deck hand on duty exercise great control during pick ups.

I don’t have any special relationship with Kyalami. I just have very low tolerance for some of the grab-assery I’ve seen in Florida recreational diving. When I run into a well-organized charter with competent crew members I like to share the good news. If I continue recreational diving, I’ll probably spring for the large dive package as it does represent a decent savings.

Tulipan Bakery was well-stocked and opened in plenty of time to scoop up breakfast for the crew and make the 07:00 initial manifest call. However, don’t expect anyone at the bakery to speak English. If you want to catch up on election implications in Venezuela, game on.

While Jupiter almost always promises big sealife, the reef (that I’ve seen) is a bit mundane. WPB has much more interesting terrain.
That's why we love Palm Beach County diving - There's something different for everyone to love right next to each other

How was viz & currents in WPB for you ??

At the first drop the surface was glassy so I anticipated lots of kicking. Nope! The Palm Beach County Underwater Moving Sidewalk was fully activated and stayed that way on all four dives.

Vis was spectacular to good. I’ll try to grab a screenshot of the first wreck (Anna Cecilia) we visited on Corridor. It was a treat to get going on the drift, sense the dark shape, guide towards it and see the bow of the upright hull start coming into sharp focus about 50m out. Then I saw a GG just above the seabed and had to go check him out. The second wreck was where I saw the GG with the tail fin seemingly stuck in his mouth.

On the last dive we reached the end of the reef but not the end of the dive. I hung out for a little staying low and slow to check out the itty bitty sea life, got a little bored and then deployed my buoy to enjoy flying the blue skies over the desert for about 15 minutes to finish the dive. While the absence of reef can seem boring or maybe unsettling to newer divers, it’s fun to see the occasional bedouins making their desert journey from one reef to another.

1722269971692.jpeg

I went out Sunday on a private boat, north of the inlet. Visibility was around 60ft. There were 3 layers of water temp with a mixing affect below 75ft and a slight thermocline around 40ft. The current was moving pretty good. Surface currents were really strong. On any given dive, we covered 2 miles. I think I did 2.5 miles on the first dive. I was only spearfishing. I did shoot a hogfish. I saw a few yellow jacks but couldn't close the gap to get a shot. Saw some turtles, a moray eel on spearman's barge, and some nurse sharks. One of our guys was approached by a tiger shark on his safety stop. He was quick to get out of the water :rofl3:.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom