Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to dive with some guys that carried really big guns with a lot of bands, including one they called the Grouper Band. I wasn't able to set that one, so I just used 2. Then, one day, I watched a commercial spero go to work on half a dozen groupers using a medium size gun with only one band, & it wasn't any kind of massive "Grouper Band" like the other guys were using. He set that band over & over again easily. I still carry 2 bands on my gun, but the second is only there in case the first one breaks. I no longer use super stiff bands. I no longer get chest bruises. It may be best for you to start with a different question, like - how strong of a band do I really need?
Same. I have two bands on my gun, but only ever use one. I sharpen the points when they get dull, but otherwise have no problems with not getting enough penetration or range with just a single band. Unless you are using an enclosed track gun, using too much power might add a little range, but not to the extent they are probably thinking. And it robs accuracy due to shaft whip.

I used to dive with some guys that carried really big guns with a lot of bands, including one they called the Grouper Band. I wasn't able to set that one, so I just used 2. Then, one day, I watched a commercial spero go to work on half a dozen groupers using a medium size gun with only one band, & it wasn't any kind of massive "Grouper Band" like the other guys were using. He set that band over & over again easily. I still carry 2 bands on my gun, but the second is only there in case the first one breaks. I no longer use super stiff bands. I no longer get chest bruises. It may be best for you to start with a different question, like - how strong of a band do I really need?
Are you suggesting to go one size up on the bands?

You guys may need to start a separate spearo thread. I assume you have a dedicated forum you can use? This has gotten off into a pretty specialized tangent.

We should keep this thread, as much as possible, for Palm Beach dive reports/updates of interest across the broad diving community.

I disagree. Please keep the local spero reports coming. Speaking for myself, I prefer all the local dive info in one area
You missed my point. I wasn’t clear enough in what I was referring to.

No issue whatsoever with the spearfishing reports. I’m referring to the tangent we’ve gone down on guns, bands, pads, technique, etc, etc. IMO that should find a home somewhere else. I’m assuming there is a forum for that type of spearo discussion? If there isn’t, there should be.

Spearfishing related condition updates & dive reports … keep them coming!

You guys may need to start a separate spearo thread.

Yep agree, I think I started the HiJackof the thread “off-topic” so I hit the lower left corner report button on my reply #294. Requested to move #294 and below to be added to @Belzelbub 's underwater hunting thread where he continues the discussion at - Info - Spearfishing Q&A

While also agreeing with @tekkydiver that spearfishing dive reports for each town/area remain in that area so the other divers read uptodate temps/viz/currents/stuff even if not hunting. @MrChen & @johndiver999 can also hit the lower left corner report button on thread #294 with comments on moving the 'off-topic' equipment only replies to Belzelbub's thread. Then mods can make the move happen.

Yep agree, I think I started the HiJackof the thread “off-topic” so I hit the lower left corner report button on my reply #294. Requested to move #294 and below to be added to @Belzelbub 's underwater hunting thread where he continues the discussion at - Info - Spearfishing Q&A

While also agreeing with @tekkydiver that spearfishing dive reports for each town/area remain in that area so the other divers read uptodate temps/viz/currents/stuff even if not hunting. @MrChen & @johndiver999 can also hit the lower left corner report button on thread #294 with comments on moving the 'off-topic' equipment only replies to Belzelbub's thread. Then mods can make the move happen.

Thanks John!! Agree 100% with everything you wrote!

Are you suggesting to go one size up on the bands?
I'm not really the expert on sizing a band to a gun. Different guns have different requirements. SOME of the people who work at Palm Beach Free Divers seem to know that stuff well. Others speak with an attitude of confidence but say things that are contradictory to my personal experience. Ask around at that shop & other places. Try to find the right guy.

The topic of spear gun tech has been taken up here - Info - Spearfishing Q&A

Spinners & Bulls are the ones I see most often within 10 miles of BHB
awesome, I've been looking for this information for a while and you provide ! Thanks !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom