Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL, you sell that gun and get something with a loading butt. Also, an enclosed track gun is probably quicker and easier to handle than a closed muzzle. As you describe, sometimes, saving just one or two seconds on a re-load can make the difference in making another shot or missing the opportunity entirely. There is no reason to be sore and uncomfortable with a no-butt gun.

Floating the fish with the gun is a high risk decision. You can lose everything like that. Why would you not disconnect the shooting line only? - Then you still have a "stick: should a shark give you a problem and you can't lose the gun? I would only do that in an emergency.

FYI for others....Freeshafting is not practical for diving Palm Beach on most days. The current is a one way ticket, even with a scooter and the almost omnipresent sharks further limits the practicality of free shafting.

Yesterday in Palm beach was strong current on top. and cool (about 74 maybe) below 50-60 and low current in the cool water. Vis was 45-90 depending on location, with clearer water deeper than 100.

While we're on the topic of spearfishing, what do you guys use for a chest pad? I have some bruising and the area is slightly tender to the touch. I tried to order a Cressi shirt with chest pad, but it doesn't fit me well and the pad was very thin.
In short, I don't, though my wetsuit and a rash guard I use does have a chest loading pad. I don't use it as I hip load. My speargun has a but extension past the handle. When loading, I grab the bands with one hand, maneuver the butt to my hip, and load. I have heard of some using mouse pads doubled up and glued to a rash guard. Can glue inside so it doesn't look as weird.

Ultimately, I agree with @johndiver999 the speargun you have is not ideal for Scuba spearfishing. The rear-handled (euro style) seem to be more suited to free divers. The Florida style spearguns are often wood with a butt extension.

Floating the fish with the gun is a high risk decision. You can lose everything like that. Why would you not disconnect the shooting line only? - Then you still have a "stick: should a shark give you a problem and you can't lose the gun? I would only do that in an emergency.

I called it out as risky for those exact reasons. At the end of the day, it's all risk mitigation. My air pressure was at the point that I'm normally deploying my DSMB. I still had two float bags to fill to float the fish and my DSMB. Out of precaution, I'd rather risk the gun than risk an avoidable emergency. I also wanted to get this fish off my person in case a shark comes by. Also consider, I know I'm excited and I know my air consumption is higher than normal. If I had to do it again, I'd probably make the same decision in the moment.

Ultimately, I agree with @johndiver999 the speargun you have is not ideal for Scuba spearfishing. The rear-handled (euro style) seem to be more suited to free divers. The Florida style spearguns are often wood with a butt extension.
I'm seeing guys with Koahs and butt stocks still using pads. I can add a butt stock, it just didn't seem worth the upgrade price on my Rob Allen.

To send the whole gun up makes sense if you are super low on air. I always have a pony bottle that makes those sort of decisions less likely.

However, The amount of air needed to float a fish is negligible, especially if you just exhale into it. The air use would be associated with the delay in deployment.

If I were determined to keep that gun, I think I would rig a piece of rubber backed carpet. It can be placed on the belt and hang over the hip if you are strong enough for that type of loading, or perhaps from a cross chest strap and hang down just below the sternum for chest or belly loading. I never tried either, but I bet I could make it work. I have never had that much of an issue with soreness or bruising or skin damage. I also generally don’t make super tight bands.

Congratulations on the black, not sure the last time I got one in the local area.

To send the whole gun up makes sense if you are super low on air. I always have a pony bottle that makes those sort of decisions less likely.

However, The amount of air needed to float a fish is negligible, especially if you just exhale into it. The air use would be associated with the delay in deployment.

If I were determined to keep that gun, I think I would rig a piece of rubber backed carpet. It can be placed on the belt and hang over the hip if you are strong enough for that type of loading, or perhaps from a cross chest strap and hang down just below the sternum for chest or belly loading. I never tried either, but I bet I could make it work. I have never had that much of an issue with soreness or bruising or skin damage. I also generally don’t make super tight bands.

Congratulations on the black, not sure the last time I got one in the local area.
That's fair. Over time, as I gain more experience, I might handle it differently. I have a pony, and I consider its use for emergencies only, not extending my down time. I've had shafts I couldn't remove, and I undid the line, but it wasn't after landing my biggest fish at the end of a dive.

That makes sense. Even with a pony bottle, I try not to use it. Spearfishing and dealing with fish can be strenuous and stressful, so it makes sense to preserve a decent reserve.

In general,when spearfishing, I will leave the bottom with a bigger reserve because if I do not, then I am staying down to try to shoot another fish and with a line gun especially, that can easily turn into a time and air consumption fiasco, much more than just grabbing a lobster, for example. You want at least 300-400 to deal with a fish, on top of the ascent requirements. Safer to leave earlier than you “need” to.

I shot a 30 lb aj this week (poorly) and ended up with my shooting line all wrapped around my legs restricting my ability to swim and just had a grand old time (while solo), and the whole time I was thinking thank god I’m not much deeper than 80 feet.

I'm seeing guys with Koahs and butt stocks still using pads. I can add a butt stock, it just didn't seem worth the upgrade price on my Rob Allen.
Interesting. I definitely don't see the need for using a pad and chest loading a gun with a butt extension.

But, I've seen different styles of butt stocks. Some are real short and mostly useless. Others add a bit of distance. They make it a lot easier to load as you don't need to pull quite as far. Rely more on leverage. As you mentioned Koah, they make a few different styles. If you are talking about the Fatback or Battle Axe, those should absolutely be able to be hip loaded. Don't see a need for a pad there.

Now, I will say that when I first started, I would get a bruise on my hip. Wouldn't hurt, but I would sometimes get a bruise. It's been a while since I've had that. Not sure why. Could be that my body got used to it, could be that I shifted the location slightly, so less bruising, or could be that I miss less, so reload less. Could be all of the above.

what do you guys use for a chest pad?
Alot of spearos also use "work-out' foam matts that are huge at 2ft x 2ft, but you can cut them to any shape. You can find them at any sporting goods store or even any 'Toddlers' store like the old Toys R Us. And I've seen them in the carpet section of home depot.
I know they have some chest pads you can strap on, but from what I've seen they might not fit me. If I could find one which will fit, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Most guy I see that use a 'loose' chest pad, slip it inside their wetsuit and it really doesn't move much. After you find the material, a simple string necklace would easily hold it in place. Robb Allen guns have a Huge following and are well known.

While we're on the topic of spearfishing, what do you guys use for a chest pad? I have some bruising and the area is slightly tender to the touch. I tried to order a Cressi shirt with chest pad, but it doesn't fit me well and the pad was very thin.

During the summer months, I wear a front zip Sharkskin which doesn't fit skintight like a wetsuit, so slipping in a flip flop won't work. I'm on the heavy side, 280lbs, 5'11". I know they have some chest pads you can strap on, but from what I've seen they might not fit me. If I could find one which will fit, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
I used to dive with some guys that carried really big guns with a lot of bands, including one they called the Grouper Band. I wasn't able to set that one, so I just used 2. Then, one day, I watched a commercial spero go to work on half a dozen groupers using a medium size gun with only one band, & it wasn't any kind of massive "Grouper Band" like the other guys were using. He set that band over & over again easily. I still carry 2 bands on my gun, but the second is only there in case the first one breaks. I no longer use super stiff bands. I no longer get chest bruises. It may be best for you to start with a different question, like - how strong of a band do I really need?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom