Page Counter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The page counter does not seem to be working correctly. My first click when I open SB is "New Posts". The number of pages of new posts is no longer correct. It will show 5 pages, but when I scroll further, the number of pages increases.

The page counter does not seem to be working correctly. My first click when I open SB is "New Posts". The number of pages of new posts is no longer correct. It will show 5 pages, but when I scroll further, the number of pages increases.

I have the same issue with this site at work. If you see a scroll bar at the bottom of the page using it will allow you scroll to the furtherest right side of the page. Try going to VIEW select TEXT SIZE and choose smallest. That should allow you to see the entire page, page counters and all. However everytime you nav to a different page you'll need to select text sizing again. A real PITA.

The page counter is the single "biggest" issue I've found. I start with "page 1 of 5," click to the next page and get "page 2 of 6," on the next click it may be "page 3 of 8," etc. Of course if it's just the counter display that's in error and I'm seeing all the pages of new posts as I progress, it's not a big deal.

I believe that's because you have more than 5 pages of new posts. The counter appears to only show the current five pages and increments accordingly in this version. IIRC the old version showed more pages so maybe that's the confusion.

For example - this morning my new posts count was at 139 or six pages. When I read past the first page, my counter now reflects the last page instead - like this:

Capture.JPG

If that's not what's occcuring for you, please let us know.

If that's not what's occcuring for you, please let us know.

Not sure we're talking about exactly the same thing. Doesn't seem to be happening with getnew queries, but when I did a getdaily search yesterday (previously mentioned here), I get:

Page 1 of 5: 120 threads available
Page 2 of 6: 145 threads
Page 3 of 7: 170 threads.
Page 4 of 8: 195 threads.
Page 5 of 9: 220 threads.
Page 6 of 10: 245 threads.
Page 7 of 11: 270 threads.
Page 8 of 12: 295 threads.
Page 9 of 13: 320 threads.
Page 10 of 14: 345 threads.
Page 11 of 14: 347 threads.
Page 12 of 14: 347 threads.
Page 13 of 14: 347 threads.
Page 14 of 14: 347 threads.

I was answering the original post:
My first click when I open SB is "New Posts".

Dennis, I see the same thing. The page counter lies to us. You never know how many pages there are till you're near the end.

I don't know if this is the way the page counter works in the new version or it's something we have to fix. But it appears that the page counter is only showing the 5 pages nearest to the page of posts that you are on. For example I ran a new posts query this morning. It showed 5 pages of posts: posts1.JPG

When I advanced to page 2 the counter incremented one showing page 6. Clicking the > arrow eventually took me to page 10 - the last page of my new posts for this session. The last post was one from last night, the last time I was on SB. posts2.JPG

So I don't know if it's wrong or just different than the previous version. I'll add it to the list of "fixes" that we'll address in the future. Some may wait until after the final skin is installed next month.

So I don't know if it's wrong or just different than the previous version. I'll add it to the list of "fixes" that we'll address in the future. Some may wait until after the final skin is installed next month.

Some more information for the possible debug, whenever (or if) anyone ever gets to it: It just occurred to me that IIRC the initial search results (i.e. page 1) always seems to return 120 threads. Maybe there's an artificial limit to the database search depth, which wouldn't be unreasonable to keep processor loading down, but maybe a relatively small number more optimal for smaller forums, in which case increasing it enough to be accurate for common searches might be a partial workaround. Covering the last few days might be adequate, since these were specifically available in the drop-down menu in the old vBulletin 3 version of SB.

And maybe as a human factors tweak to make this clearer, adding the words "at least" to the part of the search results which says "Result n to m of at least x" at the bottom of the page.

Back
Top Bottom