PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no law that you have to be certified to dive, so why do you care if he is unsafe from a "bad attitude," as opposed to lack of knowledge?
What if he has the "right" attitude and he weighs 400 pounds...why is it your business?
Walter, since I happen to know you as a Libertarian. :wink:
What if the guy has had four bypasses and he is 85 and just wants to dive before his number is up?
(and his doctor has been convinced, so signed off?)
I don't see how the Instructor's responsibilty goes beyond the knowledge...
I've seen Instructors (many) drive clients to the boat in uninsured cars with bald tires.:confused: Is it up to the client to report them to PADI?

Because it reflects on him as an instructor, "libertarian" or not, he still has professional pride and responsibility.

I don't see why the person's attitude shold be any of the Instructor's business, when it is not even a legal requirement to be certified in order to dive.
What if they are an alcoholic or smoke pot? I'm just pointing out that an attitude is no more risky than many other variables.

I guess, on further reflection, it is none of my business if Walter wants to not certify someone. :wink:

He is not the only one. I have turned away AOW students who had poor attitudes towards safety and the requirements for the class. My students are a direct reflection on me. Their skills, knowledge, and yes attitude towards diving. Any instructor who feels differently might want to reconsider using the " dive professional" moniker because they are not. I had one potential OW student who wanted a quick class and felt that the additional skills required for a cert from our agency were not necessary. I tried to explain why we have the standards we do. In the end I told him go find someone else. If during a class a student developed a poor attitude he/she would either adjust that or the class would be over. No refund, no referral. Just a go away. It is in my learning agreement.

BTW - alcoholic? Good bye and if you show up drunk the cops will be waiting when you try to drive home. Smoke Pot?- cops will be waiting when you show up.

Geeze...

I don't do any of those things but that sounds pretty harsh, lol.
Actually, I've had a beer with lunch on a long surface interval, so I guess I better watch out.

I doubt very much that a flight instructor, parachute instructor, mountain climbing instructor, etc. would allow any student of their to proceed to get certified or licenses if the student has self destructive or any type of destructive attitude period!!! Same to diving. Diving is not only knowledge, skill but is also to a very large extent is attitude.

I've know quite a few and I think you might be wrong on that, no offense.
There are many that think base jumping (or freediving 130 ft) IS self destrictive, it's all relative.
You staying behind in Libya....it's all a matter of perspective
Anyway, I am getting you all off topic so I'll be going now.

There are dive instructors who would pass an unqualified student who shouldn't be in the water let alone diving but that doesn't make it right or as an example to follow.

I thought we were discussing what we define as "unqualified" attitude-wise.

Back
Top Bottom