PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe by today's standards, but not when I got certified in 1970. The training was very detailed and a bit tough
What was taught in the past isn't relevant to today. Sorry. Except if you are an instructor for an agency like NAUI and you want to augment your course with additional requirements. Then its useful. But if you are a PADI instructor, it simply doesn't matter. You do only the skills PADI has set in each of their courses. Requiring anything in addition is a standards violation. Adding anything as practice, as you are likely going under the bus if there is an incident in your courses. Stick within standards and you can have two students die in your classes over 5 years like has happened locally and nothing happens to you.

What was taught in the past isn't relevant to today. Sorry. Except if you are an instructor for an agency like NAUI and you want to augment your course with additional requirements. Then its useful. But if you are a PADI instructor, it simply doesn't matter. You do only the skills PADI has set in each of their courses. Requiring anything in addition is a standards violation. Adding anything as practice, as you are likely going under the bus if there is an incident in your courses. Stick within standards and you can have two students die in your classes over 5 years like has happened locally and nothing happens to you.
You are correct, Things have changed. When I finished my training, I could dive local conditions. This included shore diving off LA, Orange, and San Diego counties. This included diving without a SPG, only a J valve for two years. Current standard allows almost anyone to dive, and it generally works, particularly when most divers follow their DM on their excursion. So diving has changed, we all must get used to it. That doesn't mean the rest of us can't dive by our own rules.

most divers follow their DM on their excursion

That's actually a standards/WRSTC requirements violation. Every open water diver is required to be able to plan/execute dives in similar conditions in which they were trained.

Unfortunately, many (most?) are certified despite not being able to do that. While I recommend to my students to join clubs, I do not do it for the purpose of their hands being held. I like my students to dive with each other after certification as well.

That's actually a standards/WRSTC requirements violation. Every open water diver is required to be able to plan/execute dives in similar conditions in which they were trained.

Unfortunately, many (most?) are certified despite not being able to do that. While I recommend to my students to join clubs, I do not do it for the purpose of their hands being held. I like my students to dive with each other after certification as well.
You're a good instructor, keep up the good work :)

You're a good instructor, keep up the good work :)

I just imitate better instructors at my best abilities. Thankfully a number of instructors from here and on FB has shown me the way to improve my teaching. I was a HORRIBLE instructor when I started out. Everyone on the knees. Overweighted. Low retention rate. That's how I was taught and I didn't know any better. Fortunately, as I just said, I found ScubaBoard and different instructors on FB.

I cannot express my gratitude enough to those people. My more recent students don't know it, but they should as well. I offer free remedial training to my earlier students as I feel quite guilty for the poor job I did at teaching them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom