PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are all wrong - ACUC basic OW divers (pron: Paris Island) rock the world! All the rest are Hollywood divers. :)

It really is a shame that people get caught up in which agency is the best. All agencies adhere to EXACTLY the
same standards for their Basic course. What is is important is that you find an instructor who not only knows
the material to teach the course, but one who teaches in a manner that you can understand and trust. No matter
how knowledgeable your instructor is, if he can't make it so you have a good understanding of it both of you are
wasting each others time. Learn as much as you can to dive safely and comfortably.

jester1226:
All agencies adhere to EXACTLY the
same standards for their Basic course.

You've obviously never read the standards of different agencies. There are huge difference from one to another.

As Walter said the differences in OW training among agencies can be huge. This statement
" All agencies adhere to EXACTLY the same standards for their Basic course."
is a myth perpetrated by those who don't want people comparing standards and seeing the stark differences. Why it continues to live and be repeated in this age where information is readily available is beyond me. All it takes is a little research and a few phone calls to find out. This is why I say in my book that people will use more effort in selecting a tv than they will in choosing an instructor, shop, agency, or class where they will get information and training to survive in an environment that is hostile to human life; in a sport than can kill you very quickly - in some very nasty ways.

It really is a shame that people get caught up in which agency is the best. All agencies adhere to EXACTLY the
same standards for their Basic course. ...
This is simply not the case, no where near the case.

is a myth perpetrated by those who don't want people comparing standards and seeing the stark differences. Why it continues to live and be repeated in this age where information is readily available is beyond me.

A cartel can be a frighteningly powerful tool.

RSTC, in which not all agencies participate, has successfully leveraged theirs.

While "it's not the agency it's the instructor" holds some truth, it isn't complete. The fact remains that the minimum bar within an agency is set by the agency, not its instructors. There may be individuals who operate above the minimums, but that is not guaranteed.

Further, different people learn differently. It would be nice if there was an agency-side screening tool to best pair prospective students with the most appropriate instructor (within reason).

PADI has about 70% of the world market, NAUI has about 3-4% and maybe in financial trouble with the worlds current economic down turn. Sorry you NAUI guys, but they better get their act together. SSI would be a better second choice in my opinion. The training is all about he same with some minor differences. I like some things, and dislike others in all the organizations. The bottom line is that it is all controlled by the WRSTC who set the minimum standards. The instructor is the biggest factor in how well someone is trained, not the origination, although PADI has the largest worldwide recognition, not that they are the best.

. The bottom line is that it is all controlled by the WRSTC who set the minimum standards.

There it is again. That was fast.

This is transparently false. WRSTC sets some minimum industry standards that member agencies may adhere to. Membership is optional and not all agencies are members.

NAUI, I believe, was involved early on, but no longer participates.

From the makeup of the member councils on the website, it appears that PADI is to the WRTSC as USA is to NATO.

PADI has about 70% of the world market, NAUI has about 3-4% and maybe in financial trouble with the worlds current economic down turn. Sorry you NAUI guys, but they better get their act together. SSI would be a better second choice in my opinion. The training is all about he same with some minor differences. I like some things, and dislike others in all the organizations. The bottom line is that it is all controlled by the WRSTC who set the minimum standards. The instructor is the biggest factor in how well someone is trained, not the origination, although PADI has the largest worldwide recognition, not that they are the best.

Just curious where you got your NAUI information from ... because I don't think it's accurate (I'm a NAUI instructor).

The WRSTC only sets minimum standards for their members ... they have absolutely no regulatory authority with anyone who is not a member. And their "minimum standards" are nothing more than a "lowest common denominator" among their members ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom