PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its simple - NAUI is better because it has 4 letters in its name, oh crum, so does PADI.... :banghead:

now what?????? :D

:popcorn:

I took her down to Underwater sports and got here certified thru PADI in 3days. It worked out to be 8 hrs of classroom, 2 hrs in the pool and 60mins of O/W diving. I can tell you this, when we showed up in Hawaii and went on our first dive, she was horrible in the water. The next dive we did I stopped her half-way thru and aborted the dive. I did not feel comfortable with her in the water. Upon return she finished her training with the previous instructor. There was a considerable difference when she was done. How a PADI instructor would certify her and leave her in the state she was in astonishes me.. The longer I'm in this business the more I hear of similar cases. In my opinion PADI is the walmart of scuba diving. Now I know there are some great PADI Instructors out there, they just don't seem to out weigh the bad ones.

Really? Seriously?

Huh.

How you could expect your wife to be a competent diver based on the course you signed her up for astonishes me.

I'd say you're the Walmart of husbands. Shame on you.

Really? Seriously?

Huh.

How you could expect your wife to be a competent diver based on the course you signed her up for astonishes me.

I'd say you're the Walmart of husbands. Shame on you.

Now this has to be the most blatant ad hominem attack I've seen in a while.

:popcorn:

"I know, I know, let's not bother asking the guy for details and maybe try to drill down to the real issue here... Nope, let's just attack him."

Muppet at work? Perhaps... and a lawyer too. Well at least he'll know what ad hominem means.

Ok, Steve. I'll play nice.

Brendon, could you please share more details that led to your conclusion that PADI is the Walmart of scuba diving so we can "drill down to the real issue"?

And while you're at it, could you explain why you thought that your wife would be anything but "horrible in the water" after spending only 8 hours in class, 2 hours in a pool and 1 hour in open water over three days? Especially since you were already on notice from the NAUI instructor that she wouldn't pass his class within the time frame you had thought?

Oh, Brendon, one more thing: Welcome to ScubaBoard. Seriously. I'm not nearly as big a jerk as you (and perhaps Steve) probably think I am except sometimes in court when it's necessary or maybe I just feel like messin' with the prosecutor. Calling you the Walmart of husbands was out of line, and I apologize.

Muppet, schummpet.

The question here is not Brendon's misconception, but rather the instructor's. BTW, did he offer a money-back guarantee?

Money back guarantee? The Inst should be paid for their time. Some take longer and some never get it. See Divetech in GC's policy about how much extra if the student needs more dives.

Bill

I understand the differences between program, but in the end it is each to his/her own. I can only address my instruction and experience. I did not have any problems with the pool or book instruction, but when I got out to the open water... that is another story. I just was not very conformable the entire time I was out. Consequently i did not do well at all. I did go back a second time, and passed without any problems what so ever. What was the difference? instructor. The second instructor was understanding took the time to keep us at ease and made sure we all were comfortable before we started.
We went out to the deep water from the beach slow and steady, this time it was not a race to see how fast we could get done. The simple little things like going out slow and just staying relaxed and keeping the group relaxed was the key.
Now almost everyone on my second try were also doing a "do over" as they did not complete the first time either. It did not cost us extra, but it sure made the difference in the stores bottom line, sales went through the roof as word spread around. The other competitor store closed. So while charging for a do over may net short term gains, it might not always be the best long term choice.

Money back guarantee? The Inst should be paid for their time. Some take longer and some never get it. See Divetech in GC's policy about how much extra if the student needs more dives.

Bill

If you teach em properly in the pool they seldom need more dives. The let's get done in two sessions courses where they go thru a slate of skills on their knees does not really prep most people for their OW dives. Hence the high number of initial certs and correspondingly high drop out rate. It's why I like having to spend 16 hours in the pool. They get rescue skills, buddy breathing, and lots of other task loading exercises as well as time to practice a skill before moving on. If they are not comfortable in the water before going to checkouts they should not be doing checkouts in the first place.

Ok, Steve. I'll play nice.

Brendon, could you please share more details that led to your conclusion that PADI is the Walmart of scuba diving so we can "drill down to the real issue"?

And while you're at it, could you explain why you thought that your wife would be anything but "horrible in the water" after spending only 8 hours in class, 2 hours in a pool and 1 hour in open water over three days? Especially since you were already on notice from the NAUI instructor that she wouldn't pass his class within the time frame you had thought?

Oh, Brendon, one more thing: Welcome to ScubaBoard. Seriously. I'm not nearly as big a jerk as you (and perhaps Steve) probably think I am except sometimes in court when it's necessary or maybe I just feel like messing' with the prosecutor. Calling you the Walmart of husbands was out of line, and I apologize.

Muppet, schummpet.

Ok... Here we go. 1st off, check the date on what I said. "2005". At that time I was Commercial Diver/ NAUI Advanced Diver, with....? dives under my belt. I thought at the time, that I was good enough for both of us. I was wrong to think that. I thought that the instructor was just messing with me and trying to get more money out of me or something like that... I did not understand principles of NAUI at that time. In regards to the instructors duty about not certifying someone if you wouldn't trust them diving with a loved one. When we became short of time before leaving, I talked to another instructor at the PADI shop who said he could have her ready by Monday. Which was what I needed. I did explain to him the situation, so it was no secret she was having trouble. I was not there during her training, nor was it explained to me how things went down until we met at the airport. We were not married at that time, I just forked over the money for the classes. I paid for private training and she wound back up in a class of 6... Needless to say I was pissed, I did not get a refund. The owner did offer a discount on some gear though..

PADI=Walmart of Scuba... Yes I do Believe that. You must be a PADI.. Diver.
I'm sorry. Now that I am an Instructor myself, and have seen my share of students from both sides. I would put 100.00 down that A NAUI OW Diver is better trained then a PADI OW diver, any day of the week. Walmart is not bad thing it has its uses and they do profit... Quantity not Quality, PADI's new slogan... Like I said before I have met some great PADI instructors! They just don't out weigh the bad ones. And yes there are some pretty crappy NAUI Instructors too, I just haven't run into as many :)

No need to welcome me, I have been a member for ahwile... My other user name deepseaconvict is un accessible, cant remember my old email address from 6yrs ago. Cant get password... This is the new me, same as the old me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom