PADI tables finally going away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some destinations don't have 100s. Some destinations don't have doubles. Some destinations don't have extra small or double extra large wet suites. Some destinations don't have a lot of things.

That's why people have to plan their trips. If you need to bring a computer, bring one. My LDS will rent gear for use anywhere in the world - we have a very competitive weekly rate. Which means our students can take the computer they were trained on with them.

OK, makes sense......Unless your student moves to a location that either doesnt have a dive shop, or doesnt rent the same computer that you do.

The tables do not fail. The bottom timer does. which is why i use a watch(Mechanical, not electronic).

Tables don't work without a time piece.

The watch I mentioned that failed twice was mechanical, too. (I wish you continued good luck with yours!)

EDIT: I replaced that failed watch with a used mechanical Seiko dive watch. (I only use it for pool instruction, so it is not critical.) When I bought it, I made sure it had a key part had been replaced, the part that was recalled by Seiko because it kept causing the watch to stop.

There is no movement to go to computers or nothing.

True, unless NetDoc is your instructor.....

Tables don't work without a time piece.

The watch I mentioned that failed twice was mechanical, too. (I wish you continued good luck with yours!)

Three is Two, Two is One, and One is None right?

Netdoc is SDI, not PADI.

Agency was the original point in this thread, but had nothing to do with our slightly off topic discussion.

First of all, PADI is not eliminating tables. Students have the option of learning with tables or eRDPml or computers. There is no movement to go to computers or nothing.

True, unless NetDoc is your instructor.....

Netdoc is SDI, not PADI.

Agency was the original point in this thread, but had nothing to do with our slightly off topic discussion.

I think it is pretty clear that I specified PADI in the post you quoted.

I think it is pretty clear that I specified PADI in the post you quoted.

Im pretty sure that regarless of agency NetDoc refuses to teach tables.....

If you want to go way back in this thread, all i originally stated was that "I" will continue to teach tables until i Quit teaching. If NetDoc wants to have a pissing contest over that, then I'm game.

The need for tables to be taught by some is clearly an emotional issue and so reason and logic have no affect on them.

I don't think it's an emotional issue, it's that their reasoning is flawed.

1) They learned with tables, and thus have some internalized impression of the value of tables (okay, maybe that's emotional).

2) They wrongly believe that teaching table mechanics (i.e. slide your finger here then here, maybe flip it over and if you're feeling saucy do some subtraction) constitutes teaching decompression theory.

Although I personally don't use a computer to determine my dive profile, I completely agree with Pete's take on this: teach divers to plan and execute dives using whatever tools they're most likely to use after class.

Done properly, I believe there's far more to be learned about practical application of decompression theory by using a computer than by examining a (square) table.

Although I personally don't use a computer to determine my dive profile, I completely agree with Pete's take on this: teach divers to plan and execute dives using whatever tools they're most likely to use after class.

I swore to myself that I was done with this thread (pointlessly creating bad feelings), but I hope somebody out there is reading "classic Blackwood". see above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom