PADI tables finally going away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. To say that I am stunned at this response would be an understatement. I suppose I should not be after reading previous statements made on previous posts. But even this response has me speechless.
So, you would have them just cave in and not dive? You don't think they should try to find a replacement for whatever failed? That's winging it my friend: Dealing with an unplanned contingency in the best way possible. The POINT is that it's not confined to just computers: it applies to all diving equipment. You either come up with an appropriate solution on the fly (winging it) or you don't dive. Of course, it's always best to assume the very worst and MISS the entire point. Good job. You don't like me and that message came shining through. The converse is not true.

But then my first dives were without the benefit of an SPG, an depth gauge or even a BC. We just dove a j-valve and that was it. I certainly love the new safety gear and use it all the time... but in the real world I'm gonna do my best to get in the water. If I forgot something or it broke before I splash, I am going to do my very BEST to replace it.
I also concur with DA's statement that simply giving the people what they want is an irresponsible response to a legitimate question.
Sorry Doc, it's only irresponsible if the solution puts them in harms way or is otherwise contraindicated. No one has demonstrated how teaching tables is superior to teaching PDCs. They surely don't help you to understand deco theory if you are being overwhelmed chasing the alphabet soup of your tables.
Under NetDocs philosophy, I should just give them what they want. It will make me popular and would do wonders for business. Until the DEA comes knocking on my door.
What a load of crap! That's a complete distortion of what I have suggested. You should be ashamed at such a cheap shot.
New students don't know what they don't know. It should be the responsibility of any Instructor to produce educated and competent divers.
Bingo. Are you suggesting that every SDI diver is incompetent because they have learned just computers?
But to complain about the fact that providing more education to the student is wasted time or time you could be spending on other things is counter productive to the very concept of education.
Again, just another distortion of what I am suggesting.
They should be introduced and taught at the OW level.
But, according to the divers posting here, that is a rare occurrence.
Tables can be very overwhelming.
That's the point Doc. You have yet to show that they are the only or even the best way to teach deco theory. I cater to students who don't want a sage on the stage. They don't want to listen to you pontificate about how tables saved your life. Their time is valuable and they choose to eliminate that which is not essential. They don't want or need to learn the arcane minutiae you need to run tables. That's their choice and not yours. You think that I am a bad person for meeting their needs, and I see you as a pompous instructor for forcing people to learn only your way.

As for the appeal to popularity fallacy. I think it pales in comparison to the appeal to tradition fallacy. There is no compelling reason to not make Scuba Certification as appealing as possible. I never contended that not teaching tables was correct because so many wanted it that way. I have always contended that teaching PDCs is just as efficacious in teaching Deco as is teaching tables. If these are equal, then why not give the masses what they want? The answer to that is an over reliance on tradition and an inability to change with the times. I wonder if those who defend that you MUST learn tables to be a competent Scuba Diver also believe that having your mask on your forehead is a certain sign of distress? Do they still teach the 60 fpm ascent rule? Some traditions (including myths) are hard to change.

To clarify my position on this:
  • You can learn to be a competent Scuba Diver using only tables.
  • You can learn to be a competent Scuba Diver using only a PDC.
  • You can learn to be a competent Scuba Diver using both.
  • Teaching diving physiology can be done without much of a reference to either tables or a PDC.
  • I prefer teaching only a PDC. It reduces the stress of learning, increases their fun and in no way diminishes them as a diver.

Last edited:
On a recreational dive.... the standard procedure would be to immediately abort the dive and ascend to the surface at a speed not exceeding 18mpm (or 9/10pmp if not PADI).
The original question was about dealing with these issues ON THE BOAT and not DURING the dive. Here is the quote. The emboldening is mine.
-What does a diver, trained by YOU to only use a dive computer do when he finds himself without one on a dive boat?
Having gear fail during a dive is a completely different response. Who would not try to overcome a piece of forgotten or failed gear before they dive? This comes from paying attention to your kit and using your brain to overcome an obstacle.

I encourage you to check out the required dive equipment for NAUI divers. Just how many depth gauges are required amongst a buddy pair? How many watches? How many SPGs? You might be surprised at the results.
It's been a long time but I don't recall those topics discussed. Would you post the answers please?

I know how we actually dive (everybody has everything) but I'd be very interested in the answers to these questions.
From the NAUI Standards and procedures manual, page 2.15

* Scuba Equipment. The minimum equipment to be worn by students during all scuba training in open water includes: a mask, fins, snorkel, scuba cylinder and regulator with submersible pressure gauge and an additional regulator second stage (octopus) or other demand-type alternate air source and a buoyancy control device with low pressure inflator. The minimum equipment to be worn by an instructor conducting scuba training in open water includes the minimum equipment required for students plus: a timing device, depth gauge, dive knife/tool and an emergency signaling device. A compass is required in diving areas with limited underwater visibility i.e., <10 feet (3m).

Somehow, I am an unsafe diver/instructor for diving within standards. I love it when people argue without knowing the facts. I must say that I am underwhelmed by their lack of scholarship. I simply can't imagine an instructor not knowing these standards. How do you teach, if you don't know the goal to achieve? You have no idea if you are exceeding standards or missing them by a mile.

For what it's worth, here is SDI's take on the subject. from the SDI Instructor Manual, Part 2 SDI Diver Standards, Page 3:

2.5 Student - Minimum Equipment Requirements

The students must have the following equipment:
  1. Mask, Fins and Snorkel.
  2. Buoyancy compensator with a low-pressure power inflator.
  3. Regulator with submersible pressure gauge.
  4. Alternate air source.
  5. Weight system.
  6. Personal Dive Computer (PDC) unless otherwise noted.
  7. Exposure suit adequate for the training conditions.
  8. Compressed gas cylinder.
  9. Compass (during navigational skills).
  10. Rescue signal.
Note: Students wearing Air integrated hose-less computers are not required to carry a submersible pressure gauge.

FWIW #2: the "unless otherwise noted" is SDI's way of saying students can share a PDC. Go figure.

Maybe a PADI instructor can post their Standards for student equipment. I am not a PADI instructor, and so I have no idea.

Last edited:
The original question was about dealing with these issues ON THE BOAT and not DURING the dive.

Ah..my bad...sorry I did not pick up on that :)

Having gear fail during a dive is a completely different response. Who would not try to overcome a piece of forgotten or failed gear before they dive? This comes from paying attention to your kit and using your brain to overcome an obstacle.

The only answer to pre-dive gear failure is to have planned a workable contingency...or skip the dive.

With regards to critical instrumentation, then you need to have spare/redundant items that you can swap for the dive.

In most cases, a good diving operation will have spare regs with complete gauges, on the boat to loan. They should also have a set of tables on the boat for contingencies and planning.....

For pre-dive computer failure...well, you either need a spare computer (or a friend with a spare).... or a set of tables. :wink:

Learning tables, thus, removes the need to have two (expensive) dive computers.

Ah..my bad...sorry I did not pick up on that :)
I am wondering if most of those vehemently denouncing me also missed it. I surely can't have THAT many enemies! :D
The only answer to pre-dive gear failure is to have [-]planned[/-] a workable contingency...or skip the dive.
I fixed it for you. :D I call that winging it!

Of course.... if you keep things simple in the first place, then you are less likely to have an issue at all.

There isa myriad of things that can fail prior to diving.... and (for recreational divers) some consideration of the tech diving approach to 'failure points' may be beneficial.

Having a configuration and/or equipment choices that can swiftly and easily be replaced makes a lot of sense.

I planned all my equipment purchases for the greatest mutual compatibility and to ensure that one failure did not eliminate more than one piece of equipment.

Having taught scuba for a while, I know my dive NDLs by heart... and that covers most options when it comes to busted computers. An alternative, would just be to aquire some basic dive planning software for your phone or PDA etc.... it just stays there until you need it :)

I'll respond since I did make a post here and return to the sidelines so that this does not continue ad infinitum.

So, you would have them just cave in and not dive? You don't think they should try to find a replacement for whatever failed? That's winging it my friend: Dealing with an unplanned contingency in the best way possible. The POINT is that it's not confined to just computers: it applies to all diving equipment. You either come up with an appropriate solution on the fly (winging it) or you don't dive. Of course, it's always best to assume the very worst and MISS the entire point. Good job. You don't like me and that message came shining through. The converse is not true.

What you choose to do as an experienced diver and what you teach a student may be two different things. If you wish to "wing it" when you're diving then that's your choice. If you are going to teach a student, I think you owe them more than just "wing it". Students should be taught to be self sufficient. To be able to function as an independent diver with the ability to participate in a team sport. To suggest to them that they scour the boat and other divers to find another computer instead of teaching them the tables which would allow them to maintain their sense of independence does a disservice to the student. By the way, having a set of tables IS a very good way to deal with an unplanned contingency.

As an aside. I don't dislike you. I don't know you well enough to dislike you. I have concerns regarding statements that you have posted as they relate to diver education. That's all. It certainly is not personal. I shared an opinion on the matter at hand as have you. My point was to try and stay on point with the topics as they are presented. The analogies are nice, but again did not seem germane to the topic IMO. I am sure you are a very nice guy. People have posted very nice things about you. My comments were directed at your postings. Not your character. If they have suggested anything else then I apologize. I hope to see you at DEMA if I can find the time to go.

But then my first dives were without the benefit of an SPG, an depth gauge or even a BC. We just dove a j-valve and that was it. I certainly love the new safety gear and use it all the time... but in the real world I'm gonna do my best to get in the water. If I forgot something or it broke before I splash, I am going to do my very BEST to replace it.

Again, I have NO problems with you diving as you wish. That was never my point. As an Instructor, if you are going to teach a student to "wing it", then I take issue with that. If a student had their tables with them, then they could get in the water regardless of the status of their computer. I am as much a fan of the new gear as the next guy. I love my Datamask, my camera housing and my video housing. Thanks to SB, I think I made a good choice on each. In this regard we seek the same thing.

Sorry Doc, it's only irresponsible if the solution puts them in harms way or is otherwise contraindicated. No one has demonstrated how teaching tables is superior to teaching PDCs. They surely don't help you to understand deco theory if you are being overwhelmed chasing the alphabet soup of your tables.

There is more to being irresponsible than those two choices. If an educator fails to properly prepare their students to succeed in their chosen field of study, then I would perceive that as irresponsible. It is an educational preference. I cannot say that someone will die if they don't know the tables. I do believe, however, that a student who is educated on decompression theory using the tables as a reference tool is better educated about the concept than one who is not. I don't think the discussion is about which is better. I still have not heard a valid reason to NOT teach the tables. Again, understanding that they are teach a tangible example of nitrogen loading, not just alphabet soup.

What a load of crap! That's a complete distortion of what I have suggested. You should be ashamed at such a cheap shot.

It isn't. You statement dealt with giving the people what they want as a business concept whose implementation would lead to success. I responded with a tangible example from my own real world experience that demonstrated the potential flaw in that philosophy. How is that crap? I see nothing to feel ashamed about. I don't take cheap shots. I state my thoughts directly and hopefully succinctly (still working on that part).:D

Bingo. Are you suggesting that every SDI diver is incompetent because they have learned just computers?

I am sure that SDI produces outstanding divers. My concern would be for the SDI diver who has an inevitable computer failure (I have had 2 myself) and is ill prepared to deal with it. If they are comfortable with "winging it" then that's their choice.[/QUOTE]

Again, just another distortion of what I am suggesting.

On post 156 you made the following post :

For the same reasons I don't teach underwater demolition, how to rebuild a regulator and underwater basketweaving to open water students. Sure, if a student has an interest in any of those subjects (except UDT), I can help them gain mastery after the basic class. But really, tables aren't needed by them to go diving and have a great time. I would rather spend more time on skills they will actually use to have a safe and enjoyable dive, like trim and the frog kick.

It was the last sentence that prompted my response. If I interpreted it out of context, then I apologize.

But, according to the divers posting here, that is a rare occurrence.

That's a good question. I am not sure how often it is taught. I certainly should be introduced IMO at the OW level. At least one poster has said that she would have not been able to dive if computers were required. Others have stated that they did not have the money to buy a computer just yet. Since PDCs are not mandatory to dive then I assume they have chosen other pieces of equipment to buy or are saving to do so if they desire. An easy remedy to that dilemma would be to teach them the tables. It solves their issue quite nicely.

That's the point Doc. You have yet to show that they are the only or even the best way to teach deco theory. I cater to students who don't want a sage on the stage. They don't want to listen to you pontificate about how tables saved your life. Their time is valuable and they choose to eliminate that which is not essential. They don't want or need to learn the arcane minutiae you need to run tables. That's their choice and not yours. You think that I am a bad person for meeting their needs, and I see you as a pompous instructor for forcing people to learn only your way.

I don't believe that the tables are the only way to demonstrate decompression theory. I do think that they provide a nice tangible beginning for people who have never heard of decompression theory before deciding to take a dive class. When explained properly, they combine the concepts of depth, time at depth, nitrogen loading, surface intervals, and residual nitrogen with regard to repetitive diving. And they do it all on one card or poster. Now you can certainly discuss/explain those concepts without tables, but you have not shown me a more proven method to do so. You denounce the teaching of tables and have only discussed a battery operated machine to replace such teaching. Sticking an Oceanic Veo in their faces and saying "that's decompression theory" falls short of educating students IMO. Oddly enough, I think if an Instructor presents the material in an interesting, streamlined, professional, humorous, and intriguing fashion, the students will hang on your every word. I think they DO want to know what saved your life. That you used tanks with J valves and how valves have changed over the years. They will appreciate that the time you gave them, the time they paid for, was filled with pearls of wisdom that comes with an experienced diver and an experienced educator. The students are hungry for knowledge. Give it to them. What they WON'T appreciate is an Instructor who leaves out valuable information in an attempt to move on to more "exciting" topics and they find that their educational experience is lacking compared to other divers they come across. When their computer dies and the others on the boat are prepared to properly execute a dive because they were properly prepared. Give the students some credit. If they feel their time was spent learning as much as they could about a sport that they want to be passionate about, then they will absorb every bit of knowledge you have to provide, and will not feel that their time was wasted.

I have yet to meet a student who knows what is essential regarding diving. That should be the job of the Instructor. They clearly would not know if learning the tables is essential to diving unless they are extremely well prepared before class. I don't think they will feel that their time learning the tables will be wasted if it is taught in a manner that allows them to appreciate what the tables represent. If approaching the education of divers as I have stated makes me pompous, then I proudly accept that title. I have not been diving or Instructing long enough to consider myself pompous. I am still learning, thus my presence on SB.

As for the appeal to popularity fallacy. I think it pales in comparison to the appeal to tradition fallacy. There is no compelling reason to not make Scuba Certification as appealing as possible. I never contended that not teaching tables was correct because so many wanted it that way. I have always contended that teaching PDCs is just as efficacious in teaching Deco as is teaching tables. If these are equal, then why not give the masses what they want? The answer to that is an over reliance on tradition and an inability to change with the times. I wonder if those who defend that you MUST learn tables to be a competent Scuba Diver also believe that having your mask on your forehead is a certain sign of distress? Do they still teach the 60 fpm ascent rule? Some traditions (including myths) are hard to change.

I have not sat in your class teaching PDCs as a means to comprehending decompression theory so I do not see the link between the two being equal. Please elaborate. Again, leaning the tables is a means to an end, not necessarily the end itself. It forms a foundation on which to build, and an understanding as to why computers function the way they do. I don't see it as being overly reliant on tradition. I see it as a sound educational practice and have not seen anything yet that would effectively replace it.

I'll respond since I did make a post here and return to the sidelines so that this does not continue ad infinitum.
Respectful discussion is good. It helps us to rethink our stance on things. I have changed my mind more than once because of arguments presented on ScubaBoard. I know that as long as I keep developing as an instructor, my best class will be my next class.
To suggest to them that they scour the boat and other divers to find another computer instead of teaching them the tables .
How would having tables help them with knowing their depth and time? If they don't have another PDC, or stick very close to someone who does, then they still need to find a depth gauge and a watch. There's going to be some scouring involved no matter what breaks: PDC, depth gauge, watch or SPG. That was my point: you have to treat a forgotten/broken PDC in the very same way you would if that were to happen to these other items.
I hope to see you at DEMA if I can find the time to go.
I'll look forward to it.
There is more to being irresponsible than those two choices. If an educator fails to properly prepare their students to succeed in their chosen field of study, then I would perceive that as irresponsible.
Just tonight I was asked by a user to help her figure out her tables on a dive she completed last week. Lo and behold, she was actually out of her table's range after the second dive. I thought it telling that a certified diver who was taught tables is still having an issue with them. How would her using only a computer (even during Scuba Training) be irresponsible?
Again, understanding that they are teach a tangible example of nitrogen loading, not just alphabet soup.
Most students have a hard time equating letter groups with N2 loading. That's why they become alphabet soup and a torture test for so many. I actually teach ongassing and offgassing with two, 2 liter bottles with green colored water. It was featured in NAUI's instructor magazine and it even incorporated letter groups. Instructors can read about it HERE.
It isn't. You statement dealt with giving the people what they want as a business concept whose implementation would lead to success.
I am guilty of wanting to bring Scuba Diving to the masses. I don't see a problem with that.
I responded with a tangible example from my own real world experience that demonstrated the potential flaw in that philosophy. How is that crap? I see nothing to feel ashamed about. I don't take cheap shots. I state my thoughts directly and hopefully succinctly (still working on that part).:D
Think apples and apples, Doc. If a patient needed something to reduce swelling, you could offer them either aspirin or Motrin, yes? Both have certain contraindications, yet either is equally valid though I prefer Motrin. The disparity of what you suggested would be tantamount to me telling my students that they don't need no stinking PDC OR Dive tables in order to dive.
I am sure that SDI produces outstanding divers. My concern would be for the SDI diver who has an inevitable computer failure (I have had 2 myself) and is ill prepared to deal with it. If they are comfortable with "winging it" then that's their choice.
I try to train my students to deal with all sorts of issues "on the fly". Murphy loves to show up unexpected.
You denounce the teaching of tables and have only discussed a battery operated machine to replace such teaching.
First, I don't denounce the teaching of tables. I denounce the concept that ALL students must learn tables. I treat both PDCs and tables as mere tools and train my students to use their probable tool of choice.
Sticking an Oceanic Veo in their faces and saying "that's decompression theory" falls short of educating students IMO.
Which is why I don't teach deco physiology that way. Neither do I stick a table in their face and say "that's decompression theory". Is this what you do?
I think they DO want to know what saved your life. That you used tanks with J valves and how valves have changed over the years.
Those war stories are great while we are socializing as the boat heads out for the dive site. They are a distraction and waste time in the class room. I avoid them like the plague. You might google "Sage on the stage" or "Guide on the Side" to see how the former mindset is counter productive to true learning. My best teaching is on the implementation side of the learning process. Hands on, in situ training designed so students build on their successes and understanding. It's almost magic and it turns out some very proficient divers.
I have yet to meet a student who knows what is essential regarding diving.
What's tragic is that I have met a number of instructors who have no idea about what is essential regarding diving. We all have our hot points. Don't dive near me with a dangly, flailing your hands or be unable to do a frog kick. You'll get a remedial class right quick.
I have not sat in your class teaching PDCs as a means to comprehending decompression theory so I do not see the link between the two being equal. Please elaborate. Again, leaning the tables is a means to an end, not necessarily the end itself. It forms a foundation on which to build, and an understanding as to why computers function the way they do. I don't see it as being overly reliant on tradition. I see it as a sound educational practice and have not seen anything yet that would effectively replace it.
Here's a big myth. Computers don't use tables. They rely on algorithms just as tables do. They both have the same BASIS and like it or not, your table was probably generated by a computer using a specific algorithm. So if anything, the converse is true: tables are based on computers and not the other way around. But really, they are both founded on algorithms and a SWAG as to how much N2 has dissolved into your body.

While I am thinking of it. What's the real difference in price? Remember someone said you can get a PDC for about $200? Well, looky here:

Depth Gauge for $90.00
Dive Watch for $89.95
or
PDC for $200

So if you "cheap out" with a redundant depth gauge and watch, you're only going to save about $20.00. That's stupid cheap when you think about it.

OK, it's 4:00 am. I am GOING TO BED. My morning is trashed. I hope this has clarified things for you, and perhaps somehow salvaged my somewhat tarnished reputation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom