PADI tables finally going away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not that this is relevant to this particular discussion, but here's the stats (because frankly, Pete is right about this that SB is #1), and they're readily available at the bottom of the page on the Forum Home page for any vbulletin forum:

Alexa stats are available at alexa.com for any website.

The Dive Matrix Forums Statistics
Threads: 7,079, Posts: 78,958, Divers: 7,072
(Alexa Rank: 557,166)

The Deco Stop Statistics
Threads: 34,410, Posts: 398,793, Members: 21,573
(Alexa Rank: 414,189)

ScubaBoard Statistics
Threads: 280,399, Posts: 4,057,210, Members: 131,521, Social Groups: 69
(Alexa Rank: 35,445)

ScubaBoard is the #1 scuba related website in the world.

:rofl3: They don't even come CLOSE.:rofl3:

End :hijack:

Haven't you been paying attention? It's because MORE people use PDCs while diving. It really doesn't matter why you hate them when others love them. ... If something is not NEEDED for safe diving and the majority of divers don't use that skill, then why continue to teach it?
JHC Pete, I use a dive computer, you apparently are refusing to hear or understand that.

The point many of us are trying to make is that using a dive computer is fine and teaching people to use a dive computer is fine, but that part of that instruction should include some basics in how the damn thing works, so that the diver can tell when it is not working and understand what they need to do when it fails. Because of that need there is a need to teach tables.

And no offense intended, but if you currently have two failed SPG's and have a history of frequent SPG failures, you either need to buy better stuff in the first place or do a better job of maintaining it.

Is that what happened to my computer? I knew I didn't drop it in 180' yet there it was on my computer display.
I'm trying to get someone to re-teach me tables. I have a computer, but having the back-up knowledge is important to me too. It's been 5 years since my OW course and for the life of me can't find my OW text, just my AOW one, which does not teach you tables :), not in PADI, not in NAUI.

You are making me repeat myself. Read the section about why I don't think physics students need to learn how to use slide rules in order to do physics. It was a great tool in it's day but thank God for pocket calculators.

Well, i don't think either teach how to properly apply constants like, 6.63 x 10 to the -23, but one sure makes calculations using such constants much quicker. Not necessarily easier if you know how to use a slide rule, but certainly quicker.

I think teaching tables does teach the basics of NDL diving theory better than teaching computers only. For example, determining pressure groups and writing them down graphically sticks to the grey matter better where it counts IMO instead of just punching a bunch of buttons and letting a computer do it for you. Thats just another experienced opinion.

To me the argument that students will never use tables again after class doesn't hold any water because most don't really use computer after they leave class either. They punch the buttons and ride the things like a rented mule. Not much different really.

I'm all for computer diving, probably because according to an old esteemed member of this board, they "rot your brain" and my brain must be really rotten from all the cumputer diving i've done. But i'm all for teaching tables also. I just don't see the downside. They just aren't that hard to learn.

Seems that using the computer can be learned by reading the manual.
Just like tables. BTW, I have had up to four different types of PDCs in a single class. It's not that big of an issue.

Really. It all depends on how motivated you are to dive. I actually believe it would be easier to find a rental PDC than a rental depth gauge. How many extra watches do you see hanging around on a dive boat? I am not above sticking to my dive buddy like glue and using his/her PDC either.

The second to the last time I forgot my PDC (it does happen), the captain loaned me his. I didn't even much know how to use it. I muddled through with it.

Really. It all depends on how motivated you are to dive. I actually believe it would be easier to find a rental PDC than a rental depth gauge. How many extra watches do you see hanging around on a dive boat? I am not above sticking to my dive buddy like glue and using his/her PDC either.

The second to the last time I forgot my PDC (it does happen), the captain loaned me his. I didn't even much know how to use it. I muddled through with it.

This is a really elaborate troll, right?

The fact is that 90% of scuba divers don’t use the tables when they go diving. (Majority of table users are technical divers) Most scuba divers today are recreational vacation divers that follow a Dive Master to dive safely or have a dive computer.
I am bringing this issue up because I’m coming across more divers who don’t know how to use their computer or understand it. I agree with some of the previous comments that the theories behind tables are very important and should be kept but instructors should have the option of whether their students need to learn how to do the problems. The book should add a few more pages on computer usage in the open water manual. Use pictures/diagrams of the different computer images to help the students learn. Students don’t have to have a computer for this section just like nitrox students don’t have to use nitrox in their class to get the nitrox certification.
Some people argue that dive computers are all different which is true but the basic dive computers are very similar in image displays. Remember this is for an open water class not a trimix class. If you look at any statistical graph you will see that dive computer usage, and ownership is growing.
It is time for the open water book to catch up with modern times and talk more about dive computers. Dive computers are reliable, a growing number of divers have them and once you focus on them a little they are easy to use.
The truth is people don’t bring their tables with them when they go diving, and all most all open water students shortly forget how to use the table.

This is a really elaborate troll, right?
Nope. Been there, dove that.

Some people argue that dive computers are all different which is true but the basic dive computers are very similar in image displays. Remember this is for an open water class not a trimix class. If you look at any statistical graph you will see that dive computer usage, and ownership is growing.

There is no doubt that computer ownership is increasing. There is considerable doubt in my mind as to whether the owners can operate their computers. I also doubt that many owners can describe the error indicators or what they should do about them. As long as the dive goes well, they don't need to know how their computer works.

It is time for the open water book to catch up with modern times and talk more about dive computers. Dive computers are reliable, a growing number of divers have them and once you focus on them a little they are easy to use.

The dive tables are easy to use with a little effort. But clearly that much effort is beyond the ability of many divers. Why do you think they'll try to wade through that computer owner's manual that might as well be written in Klingon? They will learn just exactly enough to get the computer to display just enough information as long as things go right.

FWIW, NAUI tables are easier to use than PADI tables. Everything is on one side. You don't have to flip over and over.

The truth is people don’t bring their tables with them when they go diving, and all most all open water students shortly forget how to use the table.

That is one version of the truth. Another version: I carried the NAUI dive tables in my BC pocket for many years. Back when I started, I could actually read them under water. Sadly, that's no longer the case. I have never forgotten how to use the tables. By the time I completed my NAUI training, I knew the tables as well as I know my SS number, my military ID number and my driver's license number. You know, the military had a way of getting you to remember things. I remember that... So did my NAUI instructor...

I know the diving world is going to dump the tables in favor of the computer. In the end, I don't really care. I have a computer and I know how to use it. I have the tables and I know how to use them. It doesn't matter to me, personally, how other people choose to dive. That's the thing about diving, we're all in this separately.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom