PADI - Scuba Diver Course for 10yo son

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Golfer38

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all and thanks for any replies.

The family is heading to St Croix next week and while my 13yo son and I are AOW cert'd my 10yo has dove (Caymans) under the Bubblemaker program (1 dive).

As I was discussing my options with a dive site on St. Croix for the Bubblemaker course for my 10yo, he recommended that my son take the Open Water course online. Although thats were I would like to go, I do not think my 10 will grasp the technical part of the course (Surface Interval, etc.). The DM replied back and said that my son could take the Scuba Diving Class from the PADI ELearning and his Bubblemaker cert will be good past the usual 14 days. Of course he could only dive under a DM's supervision. He also said that the Scuba course takes the student through modules 1-3 and not 4-5 (the technical piece). If this is true, then so far so good.

In signing onto the PADI website (using my login), I did find the course but when I tried to sign it, it was under my name. I called PADI and they said my 10yo would need his own account. But, my 10yo does not have his own email address.

So, do I need to establish a hotmail account for my 10yo or is there a way for him to use my PADI account and take the course?

Thanks all,

Jim

I am sorry, I cannot answer your question about the email address. that would best be answered by PADI directly, might still be able to get ahold of someone there, they are open until 5 west coast time.

however, I would suggest reconsidering having him take the full OW course. he will still be limited to 40', and will have to dive with a parent or guardian or a dive professional, but he will probably be much more comfortable in the water after doing the additional skills and checkout dives. as for maybe not comprehending the technical aspects of diving, you might be surprised. most instructors have fun ways of explaining this stuff to kids, and they usually don't have much of a problem. It seems like you are already an advocate of continuing education with the certs you and your other son have accomplished, so keep in mind that your son will be able to expand on the information he learns in OW with further courses like AOW and nitrox in the future, so when he is at the age where he can go off diving on his own, he will be more prepared. however, giving him the additional pool time and OW time with an instructor early on may give him some added confidence/capability in the water.

who are you diving with in St. Croix? if you haven't chosen a shop yet (or if it's already us), I would strongly suggest my fiancée, Lauren to teach your son. She loves working with kids, is a technical diving instructor and mixed gas closed circuit rebreather diver, so I can assure you, he would be in very capable hands. and there's something about a tan, blonde haired, blue eyed instructor that keeps a 10 year old boys attention incredibly well. lol!

look us up, stcroixscuba.com

Cost for elearning the same for scuba diver certification as for open water.
I have seen 10 yr olds grasp this well enough to pass the course. Still have to dive with pro or parent.Depth limited to 40'.....I would suggest getting all academic work done on elearning and confined water done before going on the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom