DIR- Generic Diver attitude! Be careful, experienced divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you think the yield strength would roughly be?

I think there is too much variation in dimensions and materials to give out a number; that said I’ll start looking for heavy stuff to hang off of a clip.

Nice, however I avoid zip ties for applications like that. Some old braided fishing line and a zillion knots works for me.

Do you have any insight into why long line clips are not used more often? They have at least one distinct disadvantage in that they do not open up enough to clip to larger diameter objects or a rope.
Great point John.... Thanks. I'll be swapping out those zip ties today with either some paracord or some 200lb test braided downrigger line which I have plenty of.

For me the tuna / long line clips are perfect for an anchor /mooring line because they really don't slip and are easy to operate with one heavy gloved hand.... On my boat the anchor line is 5/8th and these work well.

I use a tuna clip on my anchor / mooring line marker strobe.

nUufaxS.jpg
Bungee works well
IMG_7418.jpeg

Bungee works well
What's the utility of the long bungee tail over the typical position of the boltsnap? Is that in case the tuna clip won't fit the line?

What's the utility of the long bungee tail over the typical position of the boltsnap? Is that in case the tuna clip won't fit the line?
Few reasons:

It clips in my pocket like a standard clip if I'm diving on a wreck with the scooter -- I can tie off the scooter with the strobe and ditch it whilst rummaging inside the wreck. Although the longline clip might work in my pocket, it's a lot easier to use a boltsnap and on a bungee.

If using the strobe on a deeper dive with a trapeze, the bungee will work around a thick downline as a prussic knot, or just wrap it round a few times and clip it back to itself. The longline clip will work on a thick rope only if you can get the rope into the longline clip's "jaw"; sometimes you can mash it through a twisted three strand rope line, but not a tight line.

Clipping the boltsnap to my chest D-ring and leaving the strobe to dangle works well for the descent (jump off the boat, descend) and grabbing it as I ascend. I also clip my tag on the bungee -- easy place to stash it for the descent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom