PADI Rescue Diver--tell me what to expect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surface Marker Buoy or more affectionately known as a sausage:)

Shoot it up before doing the safety stop to let the boat know where you're for pickup. Effective for high seas 'cause your head wont be visible on the surface.

Have fun for your RD course:D
(as usual watch out of the instrs and DMs...even those who ain't teaching you...just be weary of any instrs n DMs in the vicinity)

Lol, that's pretty bad, I have one of them and I didn't even know that was the abbreviation for them. Oh well, I'm tired. Yeah I bought one of those from Scuba Toys a few months back...haven't used it yet since always diving from a boat that's got a dive flag up or a class that has a float up but yeah basically its a little dive flag that shoots to the surface to let people know divers are there while the diver does the safety stop. Thanks though, I'll keep an eye on the instructors and DMs..especially that one hot DM who helps my instructor out. :wink:

Hi everybody.

I've just returned from my P2 course and I must say... this was really hardcore!
Fun? yeah, a bit. My instructors have very good sense of humour. But most of time I had to work sooo friggin' hard I barely had time to eat something.
I've never expected that emerging with unconscious partner from 60+ feet using only his (or only mine) BC would be that difficult. Emerging from 60 ft to surface without fins and without a regulator was a bit easier :wink:
I've learned how weak still I am and how much I still have to practice...
And one more thing: I've used recommended Oxycheq Mach 30lbs wing. Now I know, that it's very nice piece of equipment, but for shallow water only. I'd never dare to submerge to 100+ feet with so small buoyancy device. Not to mention trying to rescue someone from depth only with these 30 lbs ;]]]]

Cheers!
P.

Hi everybody.

I'd never dare to submerge to 100+ feet with so small buoyancy device. Not to mention trying to rescue someone from depth only with these 30 lbs ;]]]]

Cheers!
P.

Sounds like you are overweighted.

I dive a 30lbs wing. I can pop to the surface like a cork with another diver in tow. IOW's 30lbs is more then enough for two divers, but I also dive this with a Drysuit.

Sounds like you are overweighted.

I dive a 30lbs wing. I can pop to the surface like a cork with another diver in tow. IOW's 30lbs is more then enough for two divers, but I also dive this with a Drysuit.

Depends on the diver you tow. My partner was quite heavy (80+ kg) while I'm 68kg.
We both dive with steel plates, which weigh roughly 3kg each one with STA.
I use additional 2kg "redbull" weight clipped to my cam band, no weight belts that could be ditched. We both have pretty optimal buoyancy, still diving with wetsuits and using only my 30lbs wing required hard work to get the other person to the surface from 60+ feet. Not to mention that I had absolutely no chance to do this from 120 feet (I had to kick hard to move myself up from the bottom).
All dives were done in cold water lake.

Cheers,
P.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom