PADI Rescue Diver--tell me what to expect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ditto to all of the comments about the contents of the class!

It's a very fun course but of course it is tiring and full-on if you have a good instructor.

Don't put off reading the book. I remember it took longer to get through than the other PADI courses as there are some big chapters on DCS/first aid, etc. I'm a geek and like to read & digest the material books before the courses & I only got my a few days before the course and was in a bit of a rush.

HAVE FUN!

just got done with rescue course...

expect to be very very tired!!

And watch out for the DM's and Instructors...they will pull a fast one on you.
We were weary of them...and still got caught off guard.

Always be on your guard...ALWAYS! You will never know what will happen in what way and how.

Are alle the tasks & practices during Rescue that easy & funny? o_O
This is really strange. I am beginning my ** course in 4 days, and from what I heard it's actually 7 days of hard underwater work, e.g. rescuing unconsciouns diver from 20+ meters using only your BC, the same with both BCs deflated and using fins only, etc.

funny yes...easy? in no way was it easy. My instr made our lives difficult.
Getting the diver to the surface is okay, but doing the inwater rescue breathing is v hard work...i cant assure u that by the time u reach the shore/dock/boat you will be very very winded. You will need your coursemate or someone on the surface to help get the victim up.

After the swim you will not be able to get the diver up frm the water by yourself if you're doing a boat or dockside rescue.

actually not many of the work was underwater...mine was mostly doing on the surface...panicked diver on the surface,tired diver...Underwater within 1 dive we did OOA diver,panicked diver and tired diver and learnt about missing diver search using the expending circle. One scenerio was missing and unconcious diver.

Oh yea...this may not be part or even related to the course but i advise you to invest in a reel and SMB.

I second the "watch your instructors and be on guard" sentiment. The instructors and DM's of my Rescue class had us plan our rescues (who was leader, who would go into the water, etc...), then when we weren't watching they scrambled our gear and sabotaged us (turned our tanks backwards, etc...). Of course, that made us make a completely new plan in only seconds, forcing us to think quickly but logically in a crisis.
We spent a lot of time in the water, but funny thing...I don't remember being that tired. However, I took that course while I was actively teaching swimming and lifeguard certification, so it could be just a matter of persective.
In any case, be prepared to have fun and learn a LOT. Have a good time!

You will have a lot of fun, and learn a lot as well.

Rescue is the best class I've done to date. We only had three in the class, and it was a blast. With so few students, we got in a ton of drills.

Good luck, and post your impressions when you get done.

I learned one very important thing... I, apparently, make for a very good unconcious person. :p

Seriously, it was fun, and tiring, and crazy, and tiring. I also had an "unfair" advantage. I had been through all the dives before I did my checkout dives as the "victim" so I knew what to expect.

--Shannon

actually not many of the work was underwater...mine was mostly doing on the surface...panicked diver on the surface,tired diver...Underwater within 1 dive we did OOA diver,panicked diver and tired diver and learnt about missing diver search using the expending circle. One scenerio was missing and unconcious diver.

Oh yea...this may not be part or even related to the course but i advise you to invest in a reel and SMB.

Pardon my lack of the search button, but what's a SMB?

Sounds like the Rescue class will be a lot of fun...glad I decided to do it right after AOW, first class session is this Friday.

emttim:
Pardon my lack of the search button, but what's a SMB?
Surface Marker Buoy or more affectionately known as a sausage:)

Shoot it up before doing the safety stop to let the boat know where you're for pickup. Effective for high seas 'cause your head wont be visible on the surface.

Have fun for your RD course:D
(as usual watch out of the instrs and DMs...even those who ain't teaching you...just be weary of any instrs n DMs in the vicinity)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom