PADI Patches - Where do you get them and how do you wear them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look, I do not have a beef with anybody that has earned their badges (especially read millitary here) and wear them proudly. IMHO there is a distinct difference between a badge earned though military service and one bought as part of a crewpack for a two day/8 hour recreational diving specialty course. Neither do I have a beef with anyone who are proud of their accomplishments that they've worked very hard for, I feel the same about my qualifications. And you are right, badges do say a lot, but my reference to the so-called "Badge-jacket" spouting his mouth was directed at the newly certified idjit that pitches up at a dive resort/boat/shore dive and professes to be a SCUBA god. The one who tries to impress the chicks by taking off his badged jacket and flexes his "big guns" to "get some action". Don't you see,? He needs those badgies to make his "guns," or perhaps something else, look bigger; they're not there to speak of his awesome diving skills.

I cannot comment on other organizations (my NAUI and CMAS experiences have only been good thus far, although I've had relatively limited exposure,) but in the PADI world there are many, maaany certified divers who have IMHO as an independent instructor been given a card that only puts them in harm's way because they've not been taught properly. They too think they've "earned" their merit badges because they don't know any better; they don't always realize that there are courses, and then there are courses.

With all due respect to the millitary contingent on this board, I have yet to see someone "report for recreational diving duty" in their uniform or some well earned badge jacket. Although I am sure that this could and probably even does happen, I have just not witnessed something like that myself (yet), and even then unless those badges have something to do with diving they're not related to the badges we were talking about here. The guys we usually dive with that have strong millitary backgrounds, whom I'll trust with my life sbtw, are probably even more low key than anyone else, especially the minimum 50 dives done, newly certified DM in his brand new badged boat coat that now believes he knows everything there is to know about scuba diving. This is the Badge-jacket I was talking about.

And if you were waiting for someone to clear his throat then perhaps you were waiting too long because they'd already left and sought some peace and quiet elsewhere. Silence is also an answer people.

Melicertes:
.... so-called "Badge-jacket" spouting his mouth was directed at the newly certified idjit that pitches up at a dive resort/boat/shore dive and professes to be a SCUBA god. The one who tries to impress the chicks by taking off his badged jacket and flexes his "big guns" to "get some action". Don't you see,? He needs those badgies to make his "guns," or perhaps something else, look bigger; they're not there to speak of his awesome diving skills.

yeah, those yo-yo's are everywhere, not just in the diving community. I even saw it in the military.

I received an Air Medal during the Gulf War, for flying into enemy territory, against a hostile force, armed for combat. Man, I EARNED that Air Medal and am damn proud of it.

But a friggan cook in our company, went up one day in a Huey and flew around the local area, was awarded an Air Medal because he flew during active combat operations. That pissed me and alot of others off....but it did nothing to devalue my award, to me personally.

Melicertes:
And you are right, badges do say a lot, but my reference to the so-called "Badge-jacket" spouting his mouth was directed at the newly certified idjit that pitches up at a dive resort/boat/shore dive and professes to be a SCUBA god. The one who tries to impress the chicks by taking off his badged jacket and flexes his "big guns" to "get some action".

If I saw something like that, I'd laugh my azz off.

TheRedHead:
If I saw something like that, I'd laugh my azz off.
So would I actually :D

Joe-Diver:
BTW Melicertes, I love your sig.

Why can't people give a straight answer to a simple direct question?

PADI patches are manufactured at Atascadero, CA, by residents of that facility, as part of their training for reintegration into society. The patches can be obtained at the Atascadero Gift Shoppe, or through the Pacific Atascadero Diving Incorporated web site.

Here in NJ last year a recently certified diver was discovered carrying one of those tiny 1.5 cf spare air devices. He was forced to wear a PADI patch for 90 days.

Ok "M", point taken.

The joke in Uncle Sam's Missguided Children is that the Army guys get medals for stuff like throwing a handgrenade in boot camp. A Marine won't get an award unless he catches the grenade.

So a salad bowel on the chest doesn't impress me unless the guy is a Marine or I reccognize something important, like the MOH, SF crest or Ranger tab.

Same with diving. I agree that there will be blokes out there that want to "puff" themselve up with a lot of diving patches, but evey so often you will run across someone with a bit of diving history stiched on the sleeve of their warmup. You will know the guy isn't some weekend wonder, like most have stated here, by his actions and ability at diving, not what he is wearing.

As much as the USMC deployed me I had no patches other than Rank Insignia. I did get a Ribbon and a Medal for my service in GTMO though in 95. Still wish I could have gotten my Bubble. Oh well, I am diving now. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom