PADI Patches - Where do you get them and how do you wear them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melicertes:
You sure you don't have pink wings? :sadlike:

I'm a Ninja in black. :letsparty:

I beat thread edit and lock

GA Under Water:
I beat thread edit and lock

Why beat it?

Walter:
It can be, but usually isn't. The agency is usually much more important than the individual instructor.

Well I guess we will just have to disagree on that point.

I would comment more - but I don't want to further the hijack. Another time in another thread

Cheers

-s

markfm:
I hear the DM patch is the real chick magnet...
chicks.jpg

A man walking in a grocery store with a little baby is a chick magnet! :wink:

jhbryaniv:
I was thinking about buying a pink wing, and than I realized I would get made fun of so I just bought a H.U.B. instead. . .
Whoa. I had forgotten about those wonderful pieces of technology. Amazing how they revolutionized the industry...

jhbryaniv:
Dude you have a snorkel in your profile pic, how can I take you seriously?? :rofl3:

OMG!!!! That was perfect! :rofl3:

Melicertes:
I have found in my experience that...... Those who wear the badge jackets are the ones who would like to appear qualified and experienced but does not yet have the goods to back up the claims. Of course there are exceptions and I am really generalizing here, but a badge really does not impress me much at all
Hmmmmm.... I used to work with a lot of people who, literally, wore their qualification badges on their sleeves (jackets too) EVERYDAY! Some even had the audacity to wear them on their heads! Wonder if they are the exception, you speak of? Or maybe its my own vicarious need to support my own "lack of having the goods" that makes me cringe at these kinds of statements? I simply don't see anything wrong because some guy/gal takes a little pride in their accomplishments? I remember being laughed at in High School when I was seen wearing my scouting uniform! (for the record, I kept wearing it PROUDLY (despite the "cool kids" taunts) right up until the time I graduated and joined the Army). I guess the scouts are a bunch of kids who "just lack the goods", who display their merit badges to "appear qualified"? I am sure those non-descript guys who got drunk, experimented with weed and the like....just had one up on me and my freinds (that they laughed at)....had nothing to prove. As I remember they where always at the back of the room with nothing much to say too.
My point is this; what does it say about anyone who is so quick to "shoot somebody down?" Even if its done eloquently...

I was waiting for a Quiet Professional to clear his throat from the back of the room on this issue.

Rob and I are quite familiar with the "wearing" of qualifications. I can assure you, after what I went through to earn it, my Ranger Tab was properly displayed everywhere it was allowed to be. (It's even in my avatar...hope that doesn't bother you...not really. However, Rob and I have also seen the "Badge-Finder" type who seeks to assure himself, and loudly broadcast to others, that he is really a good troop and you can tell by looking at his uniform. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

As with anything, actions speak louder than words. I bet we've seen great divers with bags covered with patches and lousy ones with no patch to be seen. Anything like that is no more than driving an expensive car or wearing an expensive watch: In and of itself, it tells me nothing about you.

I'll say this: He might prove me wrong as I've known a few Quiet Professionals who bring down the reputation of the others, but that little "badge" on Rob's avatar tells me 99% of what I need to know about him. My dad wore the same badge, so my expectations are pretty high but I've rarely been disappointed. De Oppresso Liber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom