PADI or SDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Docker

Registered
Reaction score
Both PAdi and SDI training is givin in my town, is one better than the other. I also plan to dive on a up and coming cruise I am taking, will it matter to them where I was trained?

SDI is the recreational arm of TDI (Technical Diving International) - thus in theory reflects the experience of the tec diving community.In reality, it depends much more on your instructor, not on the school. Look for reviews on both shops specifically.

I agree with tamas, go in and get to know the instructors, and see how they fit....

Both PADI and SDI or widely accepted diver training agencies. PADI is much larger, though that does not make them any better, or worse.
As states above, it really is up to the instructor to give you quality instruction. Since you have both and probably many instructors to choose from, perhaps you should shop for the one that would best suit your needs. Here is a link to my website where I discuss finding a good instructor: SCUBATUDE Scuba Diver Resources
I hope it helps!

What matters most is the training that you will receive. What is the course duration? What's covered? Compare the training standards of the organization. Speak with the Course Instructor; what's his/her experience? Speak with other divers who have taken the course.

Is there a dive club where you are? Do they run courses? From my experience, training is generally much more comprehensive at a Club and the rates are often cheaper.

Both PAdi and SDI training is givin in my town, is one better than the other. I also plan to dive on a up and coming cruise I am taking, will it matter to them where I was trained?

Go with the facility that you think will offer the best experience for you. That said, if you plan on completing the 4 required training dives on your cruise PADI most likely will be the better choice as there are far more PADI instructors/facilities to be found than any other.

Echoing the same sentiment as above: It is not the cert agency that matters. It is the quality of training and the experience that count the most.

I've seen instructors that are awesome and at the same time, there are some that make me shaking my head.

Also, it is not uncommon to see people with PADI OW jump to SDI for AOW or vice versa.

If you have the option, go visit different dive shops and get a feel for how they operate. Some LDS are more professional than the others hence it might be worthy of your time to go in and talk to the folks running the outfit and get a sense of how they run the ship and see how comfortable you are with them.

I've bounced between PADI, SDI, and SSI depending on what course was being offered and by whom.

Only place it starts to matter is at the pro level where you can switch agencies but there is some stuff involved in doing so.

Thank you all, for the reply's, very helpful :D

I teach both. It's nuthin but a thing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom